After Zed Life - owner car reviews

reeceybeaney

Sold my Zed in 2010 and went from a DB9 to a 350 CLK to a diesel XJL to a 911 ... should have gone straight to a 911 ... best car I ever had

:)

What 911? Just out of curiosity as I love a good porscher, wouldn't mind a 997 turbo :p

997.2 S Cab

20170318_130030_zpsl6tfvv7i.jpg

Currently in a M140i due to having a little one.

I think you can forget about a Cayman or Evora for the next 18 years ;)

My other half wants an SUV next but struggling to find something exciting with a powerful enough petrol engine, that will leave the door open for me to get a 981 Cayman.

Currently in a M140i due to having a little one.

I think you can forget about a Cayman or Evora for the next 18 years ;)

My other half wants an SUV next but struggling to find something exciting with a powerful enough petrol engine, that will leave the door open for me to get a 981 Cayman.

Gosh your other half must be hard to impress if she think something like this doesn't have enough power(car not plane) ...

porsche-normal.jpg

Or this...

Jaguar-F-Pace-600x400.jpg

And power really is the thing that does it for her I'll happily take you guys out in the X, more power is one thing it most definitely does not need. Even our base model feels too fast for public roads, cannot see why you would need the 'P' version expect for going to drag strip meets and putting Supercars in their place...

Seriously stop messing around with toy cars like a Cayman and get something more substantial, plenty of options around these days for a one car that can do it all.

If I wasn't into EVs I would find it hard not to order the up and coming F-pace SVR, 570bhp and family friendly, what's not to like :).

Edited by gangzoom

SUVs etc have their place, but ultimately leave a driver unfulfilled dynamically. Great cars, and straight lines can of course be fun, but a low slung sports coupe or roadster will always be sooooo much more fun.

Personally I'd run two cars, or at least make the one car an RWD estate. Keep the CoG low and the drive out the back. :)

SUVs etc have their place, but ultimately leave a driver unfulfilled dynamically. Great cars, and straight lines can of course be fun, but a low slung sports coupe or roadster will always be sooooo much more fun.

Personally I'd run two cars, or at least make the one car an RWD estate. Keep the CoG low and the drive out the back. :)

I agree but if you ever become a dad your get why people like SUVs so much.

Personally I wouldn't trade in been a dad for having fun in a coupe/roadster :)

Edited by gangzoom

Am a dad and have no need for an SUV. Decent sized hatchback does everything you need. You wonder how the generation before us ever managed to even travel around the UK with kids, I mean how did they manage it without and SUV ;):lol: Sure it makes it easier, but for me say the hatchback met 95% of needs with having a kid, an SUV takes it to 99% it really isn't a must have.

As Dan said, if you really must have an SUV run two cars, one for letting your child vomit in it, kick it to pieces and generally get bits of crap and mess everywhere - then a proper drivers car for when you want to get the dynamic feel of a drive - we had a Ford Focus and a VX220, perfect combo!

• Like 1

Am a dad and have no need for an SUV. Decent sized hatchback does everything you need. You wonder how the generation before us ever managed to even travel around the UK with kids, I mean how did they manage it without and SUV ;):lol: Sure it makes it easier, but for me say the hatchback met 95% of needs with having a kid, an SUV takes it to 99% it really isn't a must have.

As Dan said, if you really must have an SUV run two cars, one for letting your child vomit in it, kick it to pieces and generally get bits of crap and mess everywhere - then a proper drivers car for when you want to get the dynamic feel of a drive - we had a Ford Focus and a VX220, perfect combo!

This ^^^

Im also a dad with two little girls, Mrs has a Nissan Note and it does the job perfectly. Then also couple time a year holiday down Cornwall and the single track *2 way lanes as dealt with very well as the car is so narrow. Great visibility and super easy to park, an SUV in part would be a nightmare on some of the lanes with a vehicle trying to pass while im parked half in a bush.

Just no need right now for anything super big, pretty most dads on here would sing the same tune also.

Edited by davey_83

I'm not a fan of the SUV idea, I quite like the new X1 and X4 though and not looking to spend £65k+ on a Cayenne S or F-Pace SVR. No matter how much power they have you still can't throw them around like a proper sports car.

The M140i may become the main family car and we'll get something sporty if it was my choice.

Edited by un1eash

I found the 370z to be unpractical even as a second/third car (I have a Skoda Octavia VRS Estate as the main family car and my wife has a Prius), found it hard to go away for a long weekend just me and the wife , it wouldn't take the case my wife uses for her frequent business trips meaning it was not useful for airport runs and obviously we couldnt go out as a family with a 2 seater

Also the zed is a little heavy to give a true sports car experience in my view, its a comfy grand tourer with insufficient luggage space for a grand tour

I wanted something with the performance of a supercharged zed yet the practicality of a family car

Shortlist was VXR8/Lexus RCF/R35 GTR/BMW M4 , ended up with a Jaguar XFR, truth be told I could use it as a daily quite happily it does pretty much everything I need a remap and simple mods would get it to about 600hp but at 510hp stock its quick enough 99% if the time , suspension could be a little harder but it handles well for a heavy car . £ for performance its a bargain

20170407_130714_zpslboh3jxp.jpg

I'm loving driving around in a big fat car even more after my recent accident. If I was in a Note or similar I'm pretty sure I would have ended up upside down and a trip to hospital. If my daughter had been in the car I don't even want to think of what would have happened if I was driving around in something less sturdy given the rear passenger door where the child seat is took the brunt of the initial impact.

I think this might end up as our next car to accompany the X - Though I'm not overly convince if it's big enough, apparently smaller than a F Pace :lol:

Jaguar-i-pace-concept-side-la-auto-show-debut.jpg

or possibly this

tesla-model-y.png?w=1600&h=719p

But regardless of what you want in a car, I think we can all agree there is plenty of life after a Z :teeth:

Edited by gangzoom

I'm loving driving around in a big fat car even more after my recent accident. If I was in a Note or similar I'm pretty sure I would have ended up upside down and a trip to hospital. If my daughter had been in the car I don't even want to think of what would have happened if I was driving around in something less sturdy given the rear passenger door where the child seat is took the brunt of the initial impact.

I think this might end up as our next car to accompany the X - Though I'm not overly convince if it's big enough, apparently smaller than a F Pace :lol:

Jaguar-i-pace-concept-side-la-auto-show-debut.jpg

or possibly this

tesla-model-y.png?w=1600&h=719p

But regardless of what you want in a car, I think we can all agree there is plenty of life after a Z :teeth:

You might have been taken out by a truck and not a little Seat. What if what if. You should know by now it's not the size it's what you do with it :)

My missus has a Note and it's absolutely fine for family duty.

• Like 1

Sold my Zed in 2010 and went from a DB9 to a 350 CLK to a diesel XJL to a 911 ... should have gone straight to a 911 ... best car I ever had

:)

What 911? Just out of curiosity as I love a good porscher, wouldn't mind a 997 turbo :p

997.2 S Cab

20170318_130030_zpsl6tfvv7i.jpg

Awesome :thumbs: love the colour looks like a carbon black sort of colour? Still trying to convince Dad to get one but he won't part with the BMWs and wouldn't know what one to get rid of :lol:

You might have been taken out by a truck and not a little Seat. What if what if. You should know by now it's not the size it's what you do with it :)

My missus has a Note and it's absolutely fine for family duty.

I think I still rather be in a X been T boned by a truck rather a Note.

In fact in a recent collision between a Tesla and a truck it wasn't the Tesla that flipped.

I can pretty much guarantee in my accident any other car would have rolled. The Note is a fine family car as many people have them, but if there was an accident coming I would much rather be in a X.

Volvo built their entire brand on safety,and as much as am sure we all drive safely on the roads as my accident showed idiots are plentiful. The crash integrity of Teslas isn't the only thing that made us choose it, but it certainly is one big selling point for us.

tesla-model-s-collides-with-semi-truck-flips-the-giant-over-109974-7.jpg

This is what was left of the S, its a mess but the actual passenger compartment is intact.

tesla-model-s-collides-with-semi-truck-flips-the-giant-over_2.jpg

The survivability of these cars in big crashes really is immense.

https://electrek.co/2016/05/06/tesla-model-s-crash-large-crumple-zone-gallery/

Edited by gangzoom

Having looked closely at the model S vehicles they have been testing at Thatcham crash lab I concur they stack up pretty well. However every road traffic collision is unique.

Take Volvo for example, I have attended RTAs where all occupants of a Volvo estate walked away without a scratch after leaving the road and ploughing through trees. The flip side was a fatality where a motorcycle entered the windscreen of the Volvo.

To speculate on the outcome of an RTA based on size or safety kit is foolish at best.

My comment on size was meant as humour not an indicator of possible outcomes dependent on vehicle size ;)

The Zed doesn't suit most life styles and partly why they can change hands so frequently like Porsches. Current owners of which there are a few, haven't bought one because of practicality​, cheap to run, outright speed, ease of tuneability and least of all safety truth be told.

After the 350z/370z a direct replacement​ is down the sports car and/or GT route, easy. To go down the sensible route even more so, however ask any zed owner what things they love about their car - the sound of the exhaust and looks will be a common denominator. Something no ev will ever be able get round with a software update. Ev have their place, outside school gates or parked in the oversized bays outside Asda.

• Like 1

I wanted something fast, reliable (lol read my thread) and family friendly. Opted for a CP320 focus ST. Proper review is in my thread. Outright pace is great, makes a fantastic noise that would rival the Z (in my opinion). Being the final run its the facelift version in performance blue and while its obviously not rare as such ive yet to see another facelift like mine on the road.

I miss the low slung drive of the Z and rear wheel drive but Always felt the Z was too slow and it bothered me to the point of selling up. Like many I was stuck with the predicament of having to spend a LOT more money if I wanted a modern rear wheel drive coupe with more power and frankly I couldnt afford a 911 etc.

The focus is a bit of a compromise I guess but its great fun and will hang with much more expensive metal once rolling. Its also nice having something modern with perfect paint etc. The little rust marks and age related marks really got on my nerves with my Z, as soon as one was sorted another patch would show up.