Please help me with headlight problem

PPod

Ok so the body shop switched my stock headlights to my new depo headlights but now when I indicate left the hazards come on and the same with the right. Also the light on the dash has doubled in speed. How can I fix this ?

I'm ready to set this car on fire just got it back after 3months being in the shop due to the paint playing up and now this :rant: and to add to it my rear license plate lights have gone and also my phone has bricked it. :rant:

Best to take it back to the body shop, it is there problem, not yours.

True. But was hoping I could fix it saves me having to travel and take time off work. So gutting. :(

Ok so the body shop switched my stock headlights to my new depo headlights but now when I indicate left the hazards come on and the same with the right. Also the light on the dash has doubled in speed. How can I fix this ?

I'm ready to set this car on fire just got it back after 3months being in the shop due to the paint playing up and now this :rant: and to add to it my rear license plate lights have gone and also my phone has bricked it. :rant:

Well they say it comes in 3's so looks like your streak is over :)

Fingers crossed next month is full of good.....

• Like 2

Well they say it comes in 3's so looks like your streak is over :)

Fingers crossed next month is full of good.....

I hope to god your right. Soooo raging

Could the headlight/indicator issue be some sort of relay problem?

Just "hazarding" a guess. :D

If the bodyshop say they don't know how to fix it then they might have to get an auto electrician in to have a look for you I'd say. Should be down to them though to sort that for you.

• Like 3

Cheers for the reply guys. Yeah i had bulbs in but they were 3157 as recommended as an alternative to the 3457A which i can't get in the UK. I also ordered up led 3457A bulbs and have them in at the moment but they seem to trigger the indicator 3 times as fast and hazards also

Edited by PPod

Cheers for the reply guys. Yeah i had bulbs in but they were 3157 as recommended as an alternative to the 3457A which i can't get in the UK. I also ordered up led 3457A bulbs and have them in at the moment but they seem to trigger the indicator 3 times as fast and hazards also

Sounds like the resistance is way down on what it needs to be, they should have a resistor built into the bulbs to stop this occurring but it seems these don't have. Were they cheap and from shall we say a well known mass producing country of electrical goods ?

You have 2 options really, use load resistors or swap the indicator bulbs for filament bulbs.

I'm with the above - double speed can be a bulb out or low resistance LED's bit more worried about the hazard lights coming on, that's either just reverse current feed back because of the new LED's or worse, it could be they crossed a wire in the headlight's - did they have to wire the new headlights or just plug them in?

Test 1 - Remove front headlight (indicators at least) test indicators - all should work correctly but may flash fast (this assumes you have done nothing to the tail lights or repeaters) If that is the case replace front bulbs with correct LED's or standard bulbs.

Test 2 - Plug the stock headlights back in and test - all should work fine.

Test 3 - depends on if you have tools and a volt meter etc you can start checking voltages at pins however I'm with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) school ..................

Was it working before? - Yes

What did I change cause thats the problem

Change it back until it works then work forwards from that point - at the point it fails (most likely LED's in circuit) you have found the problem.

Good Luck :thumbs:

• Like 3

@*!#! Sorry I didn't see this before bro. this is well documented everywhere by people who have done this swap.

Just snip the blue wire. Done. You do need the right bulbs of course, I made that mistake too, but to stop the indicators being on all the time, it's just that blue wire, nothing else.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 4

@*!#! Sorry I didn't see this before bro. this is well documented everywhere by people who have done this swap.

Just snip the blue wire. Done. You do need the right bulbs of course, I made that mistake too, but to stop the indicators being on all the time, it's just that blue wire, nothing else.

Good save, J! :lol:

He's a brave man for cutting up the loom just on my say-so! :lol: I think THAT might be the biggest compliment I've got outta this. :)

It's one of those things you just don't know unless you've done it, peculiarity specific to these Depo lights.

I keep hearing they'll be discontinued soon, if not already, shame cos they are the most beautiful lights on our cars, and for Taiwan stuff are decent quality.

He's a brave man for cutting up the loom just on my say-so! :lol: I think THAT might be the biggest compliment I've got outta this. :)

It's one of those things you just don't know unless you've done it, peculiarity specific to these Depo lights.

I keep hearing they'll be discontinued soon, if not already, shame cos they are the most beautiful lights on our cars, and for Taiwan stuff are decent quality.

Honestly my hand was shaking was all or nothing haha

Yeah the lights are beautiful. Really stand out on red also

Good stuff on cutting the blue wire, any idea what the blue wire is for ? Bet you were sweating like a bomb disposal operative, blue ? are you sure, what about the red ?

Glad it saved you several hours of unbolting, testing, head scratching and swearing :)

Edit:

Seems your bad luck has now officially ended, told you they come in 3's ;)

Edited by Willsy1980

Good stuff on cutting the blue wire, any idea what the blue wire is for ? Bet you were sweating like a bomb disposal operative, blue ? are you sure, what about the red ?

Glad it saved you several hours of unbolting, testing, head scratching and swearing :)

Edit:

Seems your bad luck has now officially ended, told you they come in 3's ;)

Really have no clue what that blue wire could be for to be honest. Was funny my dad was going over the car then i turned up with wire cutters and he's holding me back going don't you dare hahahaha

Yeah lucks kind of going my way managed to get a new one plus 3t for £300 so phones sorted. Next up try find the fault for the rear licence plate.

Another DEPO convert, welcome along. Did you fit the supplied DEPO covers to the back of the headlight housing (light grey plastic covers with little tabs?) or did you re-use the OEM covers out of interest? Same question to you Aashenfox.

Edited by Sargara

Sargara, I believe the Depo supplied ones were used in mine. I'm having a very very minor condensation issue, is this the reason? I also fitted brand new ballasts with brand new o-rings.

Re: Blue wire, I think it is the actuator/servo signal for auto levelling function for when you have a heavy load in the boot, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Aashenfox

Sargara, I believe the Depo supplied ones were used in mine. I'm having a very very minor condensation issue, is this the reason? I also fitted brand new ballasts with brand new o-rings.

Yeah exactly why i ask, I too have condensation (during the winter, dont notice it currently due to the heat). I've been told the OEM caps fit into the DEPO headlights but was just wondering if anyone has fitted the OEM caps and can confirm they do fit or not.

One of my depo headlights covers i manage to break 2 of the 5 clips on it so i have taped it shut with duct tape for the time being wile i glue it back together. But the other has sealed perfectl and what i can't believe is the light with the cap off i get no condensation as the one that is very tightly sealed i get loads. So i think i might drill a small hole in the cap on the other to test it out.

Also my 05 lights the caps wouldn't fit

Edited by PPod

One of my depo headlights covers i manage to break 2 of the 5 clips on it so i have taped it shut with duct tape for the time being wile i glue it back together. But the other has sealed perfectl and what i can't believe is the light with the cap off i get no condensation as the one that is very tightly sealed i get loads. So i think i might drill a small hole in the cap on the other to test it out.

Also my 05 lights the caps wouldn't fit

Pretty much the same story here, a couple of the tabs have seen better days (but not yet snapped) but as you can see by my post:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/112245-sargaras-silver-350z-de/#entry1681247

I suspect the condensation is caused by the very low quality rubber seal, they distort under heat a lot even if they appear correctly sealed when cold.

I contacted a DEPO seller about replacement caps (with better condition tabs) but was told to reuse OEM caps instead of buying replacements which is why i asked :surrender: