Get a dashcam fitted NOW!!

gangzoom

As some might know I was involved in a decent size shunt a few days ago. No one was hurt but both cars off the road for a while, and possibly written off.

Essentially I was T boned by a car that failed to stop at give way junction. Only just had time to start chasing the insurance companies and to my amazement the third party is claiming all kind of BS, I was apparently indicating to turn off the main road so I'm the one at fault for causing the crash.... WTF

As by total chance I had just fitted a dashcam the same day and it was the first trip out in the car with the camera on!!

Luckily the whole thing was recorded in gorgeous 1080P clarity, along with sound or lack off to confirm my indicators weren't going before the crash.

The still from the moment just before I got T boned is below....am now been sorted out by an accident management company and I'll be getting a brand new Model X as a loaner, delivered fresh from a Tesla UK showroom by the weekend whilst mine is fixed.

Moral of the story, some people are lying s**** for the sake of a £50 dash cam you can call their BS for what it is and get some reward for doing it!!

Just minding my own business..

35286863815_7185a08334_k_d.jpg

A few seconds later 35229572236_16f84721bd_k_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 3

Good on you. When I got hit a few years ago I also used a claims company. I had an Audi TT for around a month. Must have cost a fortune... but then I didn't put in for any BS whiplash.

Hope you get sorted soon and it doesn't go down as the usual 50/50...

It really boils my p**s the audacity of the cretins we have to share the road with, good on you for being able to put them in their place. Do they know you have the camera to back this up yet or are you saving that for a later date/reveal?

Off-topic i know but almost as bad as those c**ts who act upset/angry when you beep at them for some dickish move they just pulled, yet somehow your in the wrong for reacting? lol jog on.

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 1

Looks like he just drove straight into the side of you so he clearly pulled out without looking. Had he been a quarter of a second early then he might have made it in front of you and you would have driven into the side of him and then it would have been a real problem (without a dash cam) as he could have lied and said he was already half way across the road and you rammed him - possibly even that you slowed to let him out and then you hit him. You got very lucky with this one and having the cam fitted just before the crash. You could have been fractions of a second away from a big nasty mess.

Glad you've got some back up.

Hypothetically, say you had been indicating, I wasn't aware this gave other road users the right to drive into the side of your car, is that a thing?

It doesn't Stu but there have been some cases in law whereby people have caused accidents because of falsely indicating at junctions etc leading to an accident.

Famous one was involving a motorcycle; Wadsworth V's Gillespie.

Giving a misleading signal

Case: Wadsworth vs. Gillespie

Vehicle A approached a Give Way sign. The driver saw that Vehicle B approaching from the right was displaying a left-turn signal. Vehicle A pulled out and was struck by Vehicle B, which travelled on without turning.

Who’s at fault?

Liability (fault) is split 2/3s to 1/3.

It was ruled that Vehicle A was two-thirds at fault for not waiting to see what the other car did, and Vehicle B was one-third to blame for displaying a misleading signal.

Wadsworth vs. Gillespie is an oft-quoted case in the industry. However, there are other cases that had different results in court, such as Winter vs. Cotton. In this case the driver that gave the misleading signal is held to be 100% to blame.

However the judge would, in practice, prefer to settle cases such as this using the 2/3 to 1/3 rule of Wadsworth vs. Gillespie.

The Highway Code states that a driver on the main road has the right of way. So regardless of indication from someone on the main road a vehicle attempting to pull out from a side street for example should ensure it is safe to pull out giving way to on coming vehicles on the main road, ....but then obviously if an accident happens then the courts/insurance will look at all sorts from misleading signals to witness statements, driver behaviour etc etc. ;)

• Like 2

Looks like he just drove straight into the side of you so he clearly pulled out without looking. Had he been a quarter of a second early then he might have made it in front of you and you would have driven into the side of him and then it would have been a real problem (without a dash cam) as he could have lied and said he was already half way across the road and you rammed him - possibly even that you slowed to let him out and then you hit him. You got very lucky with this one and having the cam fitted just before the crash. You could have been fractions of a second away from a big nasty mess.

I had something similar a few years ago. Driving down a road in my first civic type r, when an old lady just pulled out directly in front of me. I hit the brakes and pulled to the left but had no chance (only a 30mph road). I hit her back end and then into the tree directly behind where she pulled out from.

She began shouting and holding her neck, so I called the police. Lucky for me it turned out to be a sergeant sitting in with a new traffic officer for the day. He assessed the damage, looked at the position of the cars and immediately knew who was at fault and who was to blame. Even wrote an incident report for the insurers to request from them later. He also told me point blank that:

1. My speed was irrelevant and couldn't be proven in court (without a full investigation if there had been serious injury or fatality)

2. It doesn't matter if I was indicating

3. It doesn't matter if I flashed

4. All that matters is that I had the right of way, and she obstructed it causing the accident. END OF.

She carried on that badly that she was cautioned and told that if she continued she would be charged with driving without due care and attention..

Edited by Jords

Got one in my car, thinking about getting a second for the rear. Some people are utter scum and need to take responsibility for their actions. I hope that douche bag gets the book thrown at him, ****ing toss pot.

Edited by Jake.Lowther

My zed was written off by someone not stopping at a T junction. Insurance companies sided with me straight away so didn't have a problem however I've seen so many near misses including people running red lights we now have one

I'm surprised the Tesla doesn't auto upload it's data including cameras as soon as it detects a collision, as it doesn't I'd request a feature update as they have the sensors and tools already in place.

I have a dashcam, £30. Records easily clear enough quality to show where fault lies. I was at a NYE party and chatting to a bloke who works in insurance claims, he said you are fools not to have one, even a cheap one, given so many people now contest claims and try to limit 100% liability.