mishimoto oil coolers thermosatic or non?

martinh55

I try to drift day my 350 once a month. I'm starting to think that it would be wise to invest in a oil cooler! Just looked at the mishimoto ones look straight forward enough to fit. Is there any point in paying for the thermostatic one? I let me car fully warm up before i even think about going over 3k.

Has any body been tracking/ drifting their 350z for any amount of time without one?

Cheers Martin

You definitely want thermostatic or you'll not get the oil up to temp during the colder months.

And I do think it's worth having one, or an oil pan spacer regardless of track/drift - these engines could do with more oil capacity, and this helps.

Should you wish to go down the oil cooler route, I would 100% recommend getting the thermostatic.

As mentioned on our mishimoto thread, and as Rob mentioned, without the thermostat, your car may run colder than it should, with the UK weather and casual road driving. A thermostat basically helps regulate the temperatures keeping them in the optimal range, as opposed to the 'always on' option of a non thermostatic. (an application suited to track only cars that are always on the limit or hot climates)

You definitely want thermostatic or you'll not get the oil up to temp during the colder months.

And I do think it's worth having one, or an oil pan spacer regardless of track/drift - these engines could do with more oil capacity, and this helps.

Agreed, in the U.K. It's rare to get 25 degrees plus temps and even then I don't think you'll benefit from it much.