Uneven acceleration, Nissan want £1000 to fix!

silinda

Hi all, i have mentioned this fault before in that i have an uneven acceleration mostly in 1st and second gear at low revs making for moving away and stop start traffic an utter pain! Local Nissan dealer has diagnosed and i quote " Check and report on hesitation when pulling away and acceleration, carried out self diagnosis ,found o2 sensors not switching. reguires all o2 sensors and oxygen sensors.

The quote for this work is well over £1000 as the sensors alone are hideously expensive, surely they dont need to replace ALL the sensors? I did challenge them on this but they say they do, i also said OK if this doesnt fix the problem whats next? They said they stand by the diagnosis as they are the Nissan experts and if that doesnt fix it they will sort it out for me.

Anyone else had this problem or am i being taken for a ride here, if i thought for a moment this would fix it i am tempted to pay up but just have a horrible feeling that the problem will still exist,

There's only one thing anyone can take away from your post for certain. You don't trust these guys. Why have people you don't trust work on the car? Take it for a second opinion somewhere else first. In the meantime, I'm sure someone will be along with some realistic prices on the sensors.

Edited by Aashenfox

I would very much doubt its down to the O2 sensors, and you would only need the main sensors not the cat monitor sensors, as these are not used for fuel metering anyway.

I would be looking at a throttle relearn as this is the most likly cause for erratic throttle/hesitation, followed by investigating cam/crank position sensors which can be expensive to replace, but i would not trust that particular garage.

• Like 1

I would very much doubt its down to the O2 sensors, and you would only need the main sensors not the cat monitor sensors, as these are not used for fuel metering anyway.

I would be looking at a throttle relearn as this is the most likly cause for erratic throttle/hesitation, followed by investigating cam/crank position sensors which can be expensive to replace, but i would not trust that particular garage.

First thing to my mind was a Throttle relearn. & you are quite right not to have total faith in a main dealer, we had one try to rip us off a few years back, it did however cost that main dealer very heavily in the end. :-)

Thanks for all the replies its much appreciated, as for pedal dances etc its all been done many times before as has most other items easily replaced, filters plugs etc, but problem still persists, most unusual that any car can have a hesitation at a very set rev level ie 1000rpm below ok above ok! so negotiating slow moving traffic is a pain! Anyhoo i will update on any info i get which may help others in the same boat! Thanks

Not all hr's are as bad as others. Sometimes the hesitation at low rpm can be exaggerated if the oil gallery gaskets have failed which is a common problem on all hr's. That would show up as about 15 psi at hot idle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your oil pressure is fine. I would just go for an uprev map. It transforms the drive of the car. Engine will be silky smooth at all revs. Also a lot cheaper than what Nissan are quoting you for something that won't even fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RESOLUTION !!! Hi all and again thanks very much for all the replies and help, after a lot of advice about many things relating to this fault i decided to carry out the exhaust valve timing relearn which seemed to make a small difference but certainly didn't fix the fault, so decided to change the oil to 10/40 oil in which i hoped would raise the oil pressure slightly, my thoughts being that this would somehow help with oil pressure fed variable valve fairies and goblins or however this all works inside these machines, anyhoo the upshot is that the fault has disappeared, i have tried my very best to get the niggle to happen but am now happy it has went away. OK it states in the handbook that 5/30 is preferable but in the absence of 5/30 you may use other grades dependent on outside temperature, and the car may have indeed been ran on thinner viscosity oil before i had it then when i took the car and changed the oil to 5/30 fully synthetic perhaps it was this that upset the apple cart? So now the car is accelerating through the dreaded 1100 rpm point without the niggle?? Hope this bit of info may help others with this HR engine problem.

• Like 1