Seat versus Tesla, not a good result for either.. UPDATED page 6

gangzoom

A Seat decided it wanted to really see my X in great detail yesterday afternoon. The pictures say it all.

I was off on the nursery run, and next thing I know I was doing a 180 spin facing the wrong way!!!

The Tesla took the hit amazingly well, though hitting the kerb shattered one of the wheels.... The universal opinion of the firecrew that turned up to clear the road was 'I want a Tesla' after seeing the difference in damage. Even the rear falcon wing doors on the side that took the impact still worked!!

No one was hurt and the insurance companies now doing their thing.... Gald the X is so well built and my daughter wasn't in the car. The Seat must have been going at a decent pace to spin a 2.5 ton SUV 180 degrees and send it 20 meters down the road!!

35229572236_5de3cbbe56_z_d.jpg

34460338003_97a48eec2a_z_d.jpg

35269663945_2b4ce60a65_z_d.jpg

35139782931_09a38b736f_z_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

^I was going along main road minding my own business. The Seat for what ever reason decided they weren't going to check for on coming traffic when joining the main road and hit me as I went past. Spun me round 180 degree's and into the kerb.

Was one of those accidents no one but the Seat driver saw coming. If I had been on my pedal bike, or walking etc same accident would havr happened but with alot worse outcome!!

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Bloody hell, sorry to hear this but as above metal can be fixed, much more difficult with people. Looks like the one extra tonne did you all the favours in the world there! Seat seems to have crumpled as it should at the front did you have any dashcam installed?

Yeah, obviously the doors wouldn't have ever got approved if they had side impact issues. I still find it impressive that neither the latches, or the hinge in the middle of the door were damaged though. I wonder what happens in a rollover though? (I know they're almost impossible to roll as the batteries lower the centre of gravity so much)

are tesla's made of adamantium?! wolverine would be proud! bet that hurt your neck buddy! glad no one was hurt and sure the dude in the seats insurance team will be crying when they see the bill to fix it! very lucky!

Glad to hear your all ok, cars can be fixed, family can't.

Not impressed at how that wheel has failed so badly, that looks pretty brittle.

2.5 ton car doing 30mph spun around 180 degrees, add in the fulcrum effect initial energy of impact of the wheel against the kerb would have been massive. Any other SUV would have flipped, instead the X just gouged a hole in the concrete!!

Sorry yo hear this and glad you are yok. Good to see the car was rock solid

Ironically the US crash testing team just released the scores for the X, safest car they have ever tested, on par with Model. S.

Just watched the dashcam video, in many ways the Seat driver was lucky. Had he pulled out a second earlier he would have had a 2.5ton SUV doing 30mph slam into him, with only the door on his Seat to protect him....Scary to think what the outcome would have been there!!! Pretty sure I would have ended up at the police station down the road been interviewed about a potential fatal crash!!

http://jalopnik.com/crash-tests-show-how-the-tesla-model-x-got-a-5-star-saf-1796051828

• Like 1