Seat versus Tesla, not a good result for either.. UPDATED page 6

gangzoom

I would suspect like anything, you have to schedule in the work - I know if someone asked me now to spend a whole afternoon on something I would probably fit it in about 2 weeks down the line as I have most of my days already full. Its not about time to do it, its more around time to schedule in the work and go through the appropriate processes and sign offs. I am guessing.

What the guys above are saying is good advice,as annoying as it is that it's a non fault claim and you should be driving something equivalent to your own, I had a 'like for like' replacement when someone ran into my z, an Audi A6 convertible, I had the loaner for 7 weeks until I got part settlement, the cost for the loaner was £17500 and the tp were digging their heels in and refusing to pay and to be perfectly honest I couldn't blame them, I had one solicitors letter asking questions like 'at the time of the accident could you have afforded to hire your own car?' Filled out the forms and never heard a thing so can only assume it's all settled, the most annoying thing is that it would have cost half that to repair mine but they said it was beyond economic repair!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice on the loaner, but I haven't asked for advice/help on that and I'm honestly not looking for advice on that front in any way or form.

I simply want the whole thing resolved ASAP. Quite why it takes the insurance companies another week to 'inspect' a car the manufacture have inspected and deemed un-repairable due to needing an entirely new shell is beyond me.

Edited by gangzoom

I simply want the whole thing resolved ASAP. Quite why it takes the insurance companies another week to 'inspect' a car the manufacture have inspected and deemed un-repairable due to needing an entirely new shell is beyond me.

For the same reason you haggled with the manufacturer when you bought the car; you think the deal could be cheaper. Same theory, the insurance company may well value it differently to the manufacturer, the same way you did.

Thanks for the advice on the loaner, but I haven't asked for advice/help on that and I'm honestly not looking for advice on that front in any way or form.

So if a patient comes in to see you at work for X problem and you notice they have Y problem and are completely unaware of it's potential to cause them issues, you'd keep quiet? If you don't want advice, don't post on a forum. Unless you were hoping for a forum member to pop up and magic an answer from the insurance company? Ask a mod to lock this if you don't want comments.

In the same vein, how would you feel if your insurers said, "Sorry buddy, we're moving your case to next week because Jimmy just crashed his Ferrari and it's a more clearly cut case than yours."

There's a process they have to follow and a queue of people they have to work through. I'd have thought that someone working for the NHS could understand bureaucracy and waiting lists.

For the same reason you haggled with the manufacturer when you bought the car; you think the deal could be cheaper. Same theory, the insurance company may well value it differently to the manufacturer, the same way you did.

There was/is no haggling with Tesla, everyone pays the sticker price. It doesn't matter if your order 1 or 100, same price!! Anyway I haven't even got any where near settling the claim, given the original garage that Directline took the Tesla too refused to even take it off the lowloader because they couldn't work out how to open the doors, I'm not sure who they think will be able to fix the car apart from Tesla even if the insurance companies decided they'll have a crack at it......

Bear in mind there is still a battery pack with 400Volts in the car (85% charged at the time of crash), you have to be a nut job to even think about working on the thing unless you have access to Tesla level training/workshop.

In the same vein, how would you feel if your insurers said, "Sorry buddy, we're moving your case to next week because Jimmy just crashed his Ferrari and it's a more clearly cut case than yours."

There's a process they have to follow and a queue of people they have to work through. I'd have thought that someone working for the NHS could understand bureaucracy and waiting lists.

Actually in the NHS people get bumped down waiting lists all the time based on severity/need. Given this claim is fast heading towards a 6 figure settlement if I was the insurer I would want it sorting ASAP compared to a £500 parking ding etc. Accept liability, inspect the car, agree an settlement figure, job done in a few days...But instead it seem more like, drag our feet, computer says no, lets pretend nothing has happened and hope it all goes away attitude.

As for bureaucracy, I personally hate it, I've helped personally to transport patients around hospitals sites which is 100% against any bureaucratic legislation, but if it helps my patients to get the best treatment/outcome that comes first before any paper work.

Edited by gangzoom

severity/need

Exactly, you have a car, you aren't hurt and you're not out of work, I'm afraid that you're pretty close to bottom of the pile. I'm sure it's frustrating as anything, and I completely get that you worked your backside off to buy a car that might not be replaceable, however in the priority stakes, you're not at the top.

Bear in mind there is still a battery pack with 400Volts in the car (85% charged at the time of crash), you have to be a nut job to even think about working on the thing unless you have access to Tesla level training/workshop.

surely they just need to wear rubber shoes?

• Like 1

Lets stick to the original point around insurance guys. I think the message about being hit severely in the pocket further down the line has been received clearly by GZ and he has made his own call on that.

• Like 2

This thread is full of facepalm from start to finish.

On the subject of rubber shoes though (inifintely more interesting than the current topic)...

1) Aren't almost all shoes rubber soled except high class loafers and formal shoes?

2) What's the alternative... leather soled? Leather is also non-conductive. Wood (Japanese wear wooden shoes, Dutch too!)? Same.

3) There are no metal soled shoes, unless you're a tap dancer, and therefore unlikely to find yourself frequently handling large amounts of current.

So why on 'earth' (ha, see whut ah did thar ;) ) do we say 'wear rubber soled shoes', when all we need to say is 'wear shoes'?

Discuss...

Edited by Aashenfox

All the loaner does is add to the overall cost of the non fault claim. I'm sure a AMC would send you out a RR if if asked, in the end the bill will need to sit somewhere and can be disputed by the third party insurance company retrospectively.

This thread is full of facepalm from start to finish.

On the subject of rubber shoes though (inifintely more interesting than the current topic)...

There's a really simple solution to topics which are of no interest to you.

Don't post on them.

• Like 1

Where does Gangzoom stand if the insurers decide to repair what Tesla said isn't repairable? Let's be honest, you can fix ANYTHING if you throw enough time, money, skill and patience at it. I'd imagine, that being perfectionists Tesla simply don't WANT to repair it. With the costs of a replacement rising, the hire car, the management company fees, car storage fees etc mounting up fast it could be worth throwing X amount at the car to repair it, it would just have to be someone other than Tesla doing the work.

This was Rowan Atkinsons famous crash, the insurers paid out more than the original value of the car to fix it, as due to the value increase it was the cheapest option. McLaren got it perfect again for him.

00006d0ddb20-cb54-4254-9.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Same car, different crash:

article-2022680-002106CC00000258-153_634x399.jpg

Again, cost a fortune, but McLaren repaired it. (I'm not sure which crash happened first, but the car is still in existence)

A certain TV show fixed this:

ferrari-f40-before.jpg

They (someone else :lol: ) straightened the chassis to within the tolerances of the original builders and rebuilt the car to ferrari specs (apart from the paint, suspension and wheels as they were all custom parts)

Edited by AliveBoy

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten how bad that was. I don't know if I'd have been happy to take the car back if I was Blackadder! Even with McLaren god level engineers telling me everything's fine. Hate insurance companies, mine stuffed me, and the funny thing is, people who have a lot of claims experience have told me I did quite well with my settlement. :O

What show fixed that F40? I've been out of the UK too long, but I want to see it!

Edited by Aashenfox

If the battery pack is undamaged, and the drive-train, its hard to think it would cost as much as a new one to fix it. It's just shaped metal after all.

50K to fix is a massive amount but still cheaper that 100K to replace. But who would touch such a job if Tesla won't?

Exactly. Plus you need a brand new chassis, which is much like the Elise's in construction, and once that's gone it's gone. No chance in hell I'd want a car like that with a repaired chassis, it's new or nothing at that point.

Besides, I'd rather have a 67 plate car than a 17 one, be worth more innit.