Your Basic Fail

Dracostan

So, being a long time modifier on many cars, and a relatively active user of associated members forums, (and an engineer for my day job) you'd think I'd have some good grounding of the basics of spanner monkey-ing.

Today I had planned on fitting these:

20170605_174543_zps8laoee90.jpg

a spanking set of wheel spacers to make my rims sit 'just right' in the caverns of my arches.

I've had them sat on the side for a week, during which I brought together all my tools required - down to a rust scouring pad to clean the hub faces, and acquiring a brand new torque wrench to tighten the nuts properly, rather then the usual f-tight.

Finally had a beautiful sunny day to do the work and so set about pulling the first wheel off....... You can probably guess whats coming!

First I find my trolley jack is low on oil, so only lifts a couple of millimetres per pump - at best :thumbdown: Ok, I think, I'll use the screw jack to lift to the point I can get the trolley under the suspension arm at the right height to remove the wheel, pump the extra couple of mill I need to get an axle stand in next to the trolley and set it down to remove the wheel - only to remember the car doesn't have a screw jack, just a plastic bottle of tyre foam :angry:

So, I resigned myself to having to use the trolley millimetre by millimetre and laboriously pumped to the height I needed, set the stand and removed the wheel.

The hub looked in good nick, so only a quick go over with the rust scourer was needed and I set the spacer in place. Wound the nuts in with my fingers then picked up the wheel wrench to tighten - only to have the socket jump over the nut....

It was then I realised the spacer nuts need a 19 socket, not the 21 socket of the wheel wrench :rant:

Cursing the poor level of attention I had paid to the spacer nuts while they were sat on my counter for an entire week, I headed inside to rifle through my toolbox to find a 19 socket.

On finding my 19 socket, it turned out it is a double-ended, with a 17 on the other end and so requiring a extension bar to fit to the wrench. I popped open my socket set box to find one, but found out I only have a 3/8" extension, rather than the 1/2" needed for the torque wrench. :bang::bangin::doh:

By this time it was to late to pop over to Halfrauds, so I had no choice but to pull the spacer off, replace the wheel and slink back inside with my modders tail between my legs - and, of course, come and confess my most basic of fails to the community. :p

So, in a plea for you, dear reader, to take pity on me, please feel free to post your own stories of most basic failure :dummy:

:) Draco

Edited by Dracostan
  • Like 3

I'll be the first to say it then... Long time modder without a decent socket set. What's wrong with you man?!?

:doh:

I do have a decent set, just not the one piece I needed today - I would ask how many times has that happened to you !!? :teeth:

Read my door handle thread. Took me a week to sort out, took me 2 weeks to fit an oil cooler, 3 weeks to sort faulty washer pumps, there are threads on those somewhere as well. Its all part of the fun (and frustration)

I love learning to do mechanics myself but every time i start with zero preparation like an idiot.

Back to yours above, is there no friends/family that have any tools?

If i need anything i can usualy rely on my dad to have it in his antiques roadshow toolbox

Read my door handle thread. Took me a week to sort out, took me 2 weeks to fit an oil cooler, 3 weeks to sort faulty washer pumps, there are threads on those somewhere as well. Its all part of the fun (and frustration)

I love learning to do mechanics myself but every time i start with zero preparation like an idiot.

Back to yours above, is there no friends/family that have any tools?

If i need anything i can usualy rely on my dad to have it in his antiques roadshow toolbox

Yeah, it's usually the things you think will be a simple job that turn out to be the PITA's!

Friends and family are a bit too far away for a quick call for help, though I can bet my Dad will have the extension (why is it dad's always have the really weird and obscure tools?!).

Probably because back in the day they did a similar job and needed to buy the same tool. Then its been sat there for 20 years rusting away until their son gives them a call one day and pops over to rumage through tbe box/chest and hey presto, it gets a second use and sees the light of day for a second brief time before returning back to the dark oblivion of rusty things always willing and waiting patiently for the call to arms.

I'll be the first to say it then... Long time modder without a decent socket set. What's wrong with you man?!?

:doh:

I do have a decent set, just not the one piece I needed today - I would ask how many times has that happened to you !!? :teeth:

It used to happen alllll the time until one month I made a list of all the things I tend to struggle with and bought the lot. Decent socket set, every kind of socket connection/extension bar at different drives, stud extractors, drill bits, breaker bars etc etc. It honestly made a massive difference to doing the little jobs. :thumbs:

• Like 3

I have all the gear and still no idea :lol:

20161017_112807_zpsjykxa0ij.jpg

20161017_112755_zpsmtmflozu.jpg

I still have fails :( on the third attempt at sorting the front end of the Radical this weekend and had a fail on that (will post up on my build thread soon) :doh:

• Like 1

Omg I was creased reading this! :lol:

Hope you got it all sorted buddy, I fitted mine (with a mechanic mate & all his kit, plus a crate of budweiser) and they are awesome it'll be worth it in the end!

Picked up some hydraulic oil and the correct 19 socket today, so will be having a second go at it this weekend - and speaking of dad's having the right tools for the job, I could even get some quality Dad time/assistance, it being Fathers Day :teeth:

Keyser - just a little bit jealous of the Zed Shed. Not just the fine array of tools, but actually having a garage that's usable as one, rather than the 'shed with a big door' that I currently have !

Edited by Dracostan