M3 to 350Z. Thinking about the move

Hi guys,

I've had my e46 M3 for 6 months and while it's obviously a really capable fast car. I just can't seem to gel with it.

So I'm looking at alternatives, it's not a daily driver, so doesn't need to be practible. As in fuel consumption space etc. But it does need to be engaging and fun, after driving the company qashqai all week.

When looking at the M, the 350 was considered, as was a boxster, older 996 and RS6. Decided on the M based on residuals looks, and the reviews. Plus the test drive was entertaining.

I've had plenty of fast cars before mainly 4wd scoobies, S4 and a 996 C4S to name a few.

So I'm looking for real world experience and if the Z might give me what I'm looking for.

I will be looking at all the FAQs here to see if the Z could be the next car.

Thanks

David

I know what you mean, I had a modified E92 335XI, and it just wasn't for me. Not enough character, or I'm just not old enough for a BMW yet. :lol: I always felt like I was borrowing someone else's car, and the unwanted attention ("must be nice") was soul destroying. The Zed attracts more attention here, but the nice kind, mostly people want to hear the exhaust, but then it's a very rare car here, not so much in the UK, but obviously still less common than a fast BMW 3 series, I would think.

The Z is a beast. It's not as fast as the beamer was, but it snarls and feels much more visceral and engaging to drive. The Z's the perfect messing around car, not so expensive that you treat it gently, but not so cheap that you couldn't turn up to a premiere in it. The Z's unique selling points are that V6 sound and such easy drifting your Nan could do it. A loud exhaust is a must. Best sports car for the money when it was released, and it's still the case today, imo. The engines are ultra reliable and stand up well to abuse.

Welcome to the institution. :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

Welcome along. I did a similar thing to brake up the monotony of works astra y months ago. The zed will make you smile a lot. Sometimes it feels like a heavy beast but I took mine on some windy roads and our was planted and very capable even out cornering a twin turbo supra. I take mine to work on Saturdays and everyone has a look as they walk past, from kids to grandads. Mine looks pretty standard too at the minute with just a nismo lip and some toned down lights/reflectors.

• Like 1

I had a 350z DE for 3yrs and wanted some thing a bit more practical like extra seats and a bigger boot so i went for the e46 M3 and after about a month i could not get on with it, so 2 months later i sold it and got another zed but the HR this time, and i have never looked back, the zed feels more of a drivers car and better looking, plus you dont look like everyone else as there are BMW every where you look!

Edited by slipstream
  • Like 1

Any Z with a bulging bonnet instead of 2 lines going down it (this is the easiest visual indication) is the latest model, the HR. As opposed to the original 02-05 model, the DE, and a DE 'revup' model that was in between them (05-06?). If you're feeling brave there is a supercharged DE for sale for that kind of money, I think, someone on here, but I forget who.

Each update got a tiny tad more power, the HR has 306 I think (??) but the early 280hp early ones are not slow or lacking in driving excitement. The interior plastics in the HR are diabolical, most HR interiors that you see will appear to be in worse condition than the older DEs, it's not the owner's fault, you can scratch them by staring at one spot for too long, but don't worry about that, a little elbow grease and can of plastidip cure a multitude of sins.

Lastly, if I were buying a Zed, and I were a car guy, I'd be looking for a cheap DE with a solid platform to work from, and start bolting stuff on to achieve my vision of the car, which funnily enough is exactly what I did. :)

Good luck, hope it helps. :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

CAI will lose you power. The mods to DE that will give you cheap power, are an intake plenum spacer (gives the front-most cylinders more space to breathe), a little venturi in the stock airbox (nothing else is needed on the filter side, the stock airbox is very good) less restrictive manifolds, removing cats or fitting HFCs, and a less restrictive Y-pipe. Do those and get a tune and you'll be happy with the extra pull and aggressive note.

Since it's a v6 and has two banks of cylinders, one on each side, if you ask me, it's a shame not to fit a true dual system.

By the way, everybody, and I do mean everybody who says 'I'll only mod lightly' ends up contracting a terrible case of Zeditis. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox

Yeah I wasn't going to mod either but then I contracted zeditis, high flow cats a new panel filter plenum spacer an up coming remap later...

Oh you'll want to replace the standard hu too, cds skip like a school girl and it has a tape deck.

Hi David. I'm thinking of selling mine as I have more than one vehicle. It is a 2008 350z GT313 HR COUPE

BLACK

MANUAL

completely std and no mods other than wheel centre caps and badges changed to Z type just serviced and has only done 13000 miles. I've used it at weekends only . Immaculate car though wheels could be tidier

• Like 1

Depending on your budget you have quite a choice, really. We have a for-sale section on the forum.

You could also seek to import a JDM spec vehicle from the likes of JM imports or Torque GT etc.

Jurgen at JM organised the IVA for my Z last year.

• Like 1

Hi David. I'm thinking of selling mine as I have more than one vehicle. It is a 2008 350z GT313 HR COUPE

BLACK

MANUAL

completely std and no mods other than wheel centre caps and badges changed to Z type just serviced and has only done 13000 miles. I've used it at weekends only . Immaculate car though wheels could be tidier

Could you send more details and maybe some pics. I could be interested.

Hello and welcome :wave:

Mine's up for sale too and well within your budget =) and plenty of spare cash for mods...... --> http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/116421-for-sale-2004-de-gt-350z-in-kuro-black-reduced-6599/ Very well cared for and loved zed.....and you'll save £300 on annual road tax

My build thread here for history --> http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91440-veeg33s-slow-dose-of-zeditus/