Android Head Unit & Rear View Camera

Ukeraa

Hi All,

I've been researching Android head units (I have a Google Pixel phone and have been an Android fan for years), but there's tons of choice and I'm sure there are quite a few members here have been through the motions before. All in all, I am looking for the following:

• Bluetooth phone connectivity
  • Rear view camera (which camera is also reccommended?)
  • Sat nav (pref. Google Maps)
  • Google Play

I'm not fussed about brands, just getting something that is practical and not a nightmare to setup. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

Cheers.

Gonna give this a cheeky follow, I've been wondering myself about some of these.

Edit: I was looking at one of those too. Wasn't sure about BOSE compatibility

Edited by Jay84

I bought a cheapo Chinese one from eBay. It's ok but I'd prob spend a bit more and get a decent one. To be fair tho all I use it for is to plug a usb stick In to play music & sat nav and it does this fine. I just purchased a cheapo Chinese reverse camera aswel and it works a treat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I got myself a Pioneer AVH-X8800BT around a year back. It runs Android Auto which is pretty good nowadays.

No issues with Bose connectivity as there's a small connector kit that converts down to the Bose sub and speakers.

There's also a rear camera hookup but I haven't as yet gone for this.

I actually use a Parrot Asteroid Smart. Its a very god unit but I can't recommend it these days as it runs on Gingerbread so won't support many modern apps. I've got Co-Pilot side loaded onto it but it pushes the unit purely as it doesn't have a lot of ram.

DSC_0257_zpsnfhmxoo5.jpg

I bought a cheapo Chinese one from eBay. It's ok but I'd prob spend a bit more and get a decent one. To be fair tho all I use it for is to plug a usb stick In to play music & sat nav and it does this fine. I just purchased a cheapo Chinese reverse camera aswel and it works a treat.

If you could do it all again, would you go for the Pumpkin one I posted? Or do you have a specific head unit in mind?

By the way, your build thread was an awesome read :).

I got myself a Pioneer AVH-X8800BT around a year back. It runs Android Auto which is pretty good nowadays.

No issues with Bose connectivity as there's a small connector kit that converts down to the Bose sub and speakers.

That looks great, it's quite pricey though. Does the connector kit come with the head unit? If not, where did you obtain yours?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. It's really quite difficult to decide, isn't it?

EDIT: I searched through the reviews of the Pumpkin and found the below review from a 350Z owner:

Fantastic stereo for its price, bought this for a Nissan 350z 35th anniversary addition, and I am very happy with it. You really do get a good bargain when you get this stereo. However there are a few pointers I would consider researching before you purchase this stereo that you might not encounter if you were to go for the very pricey ken-wood, or other touchscreen named brand stereos. Here are my top ten point’s good/bad about the stereo.

1. When I when to fit it, the ISO connector I had purchased wasn't correct and required a PAC connector, because the Nissan has built in sub/amp and steering wheel controls a standard ISO wouldn't work. The stereo did accommodate the sub/amp but was unable to find a PAC connector that accommodated the steering wheel controls. This doesn’t bother me as I’ll be getting a new steering wheel and technically not Pumpkins fault.

2. Once I got the connectors sorted, fitting it took some time, the brackets it was supplied with were very universal so had to drill/cut the old brackets to suite.

3. For me it did take a little bit of extra wiring in when connecting the connectors.

4. In my car it’s not the loudest, however the speakers are going through the stereo as (which if you know a bit about, speaker/amp/sub upgrades they should go through the amp and then to the stereo from the amp, however the standard amp in the Nissan isn't built like this), and I am aware that the standard amp/sub are not very good so will be changing this in the future.

5. Because it’s android it’s fantastically easy to use, especially if you have an android phone. So familiar and got some great features. However some apps downloaded from the app store crash/don't work as they are only intended for android phones/tablet

6. SAT NAV is awesome, some SAT NAV's Phone apps real off a list of road names/numbers and when you’re in the middle of nowhere no idea of where you are this isn't helpful, as you spend more time looking for the sign for the street name/number then actually whether it’s a right or left, the built in app gives you a distance until the turning, then simply says turn next right, or first exit on round about, with a clear diagram on where to go, also recalculates very quickly if you end up going wrong. It’s stored on a micro SD card and can be updated easily

6. As its android you can connect to a Wi-Fi and log in with your G mail account, getting all your mails on the go. Great for the business man,

7. You can also plug in a micro SD card, which is great as you can have more stuff stored on the stereo, music, pictures, apps, and the whole lot. It has a built in DVD player, but not sure whether id ever use this.

8. As its android it’s easy to customize, with the background and the possibility to root it, not done this to mine as I’m fine with the way it is for now.

9. Caller options are great, once dialled it will save your previous calls on the stereo, so you can just browse through them instead of looking at the phone,

10. NO AUX !! It doesn't come with an AUX lead input, it has AUX IN L and AUX IN R but would need to purchase a lead that converts this to AUX, it does come with an iPod connector and 2 USB ports which are helpful

To conclude. A very cheap alternative for the ken-wood or other touchscreen stereo's. Sat NAV although default is USA is fantastically easy to use and follow and very clear with its instructions, Great features, very stylish, bright enough, touch screen very responsive, some apps don't work but that's expected, Bluetooth is great, will need to do research on your connectors first. However once played around with and set up is a great stereo and would defiantly recommend this as an alternative and don't see why there is a massive jump forward in price for the other touch screen stereos.

4 STARS !!!!! Review by Collective Automotive, bringing the scene together.

Edited by Ukeraa

I got an AVIC-F77-DAB unit when I got the 380RS as wanted a decent CD-free stereo system that had an independent SatNav system that also had reversing camera functionality as well as AppleCarPlay / Android Auto.

Was very happy with the product, I use a CCD reversing camera that encloses one of the rear license plate bulbs.

http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avic-f70dab

If you could do it all again, would you go for the Pumpkin one I posted? Or do you have a specific head unit in mind?

By the way, your build thread was an awesome read :).

That looks great, it's quite pricey though. Does the connector kit come with the head unit? If not, where did you obtain yours?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. It's really quite difficult to decide, isn't it?

I got all of mine from these guys. Good service and had it fitted at the shop in London. One note is you'll get better advice from the shop than the online sales number, so ring whichever is closest to you.

I've an xtrons unit which I'm loving, wired the camera in as well all good :) need to create some space for a USB hub to plug more stuff in!

What unit exactly? :) Mind if I be a pain and ask for as much detail as possible about your experience with the unit?

Also, I've seen quite a few Zeds around Cambridge. I'm there this weekend visiting my girlfriend and often drive about, wave if you see a black 350 ending in VVB.

Edited by Ukeraa

It's the TD618AS unit, I followed the guides on the forum and was all straight forward. Haven't got all the aps setup but I'm using sygic for the nav as it allows maps to be downloaded. The satnav sound is very but I believe thats a common issue on android devices anyways. I need to try some other maps. Otherwise it's all good! Not sure what to sya other than I really love it! Find a facia that fits is a pain mind. I got a standard one and spent a few hours cutting bits out to make it all fit neatly!

• Like 1