Anyone with a 1.8 Prius? Help required please.

NeilMH

I am close to a decision to buy a 2009 1.8 T4 Prius - probably tomorrow but need to resolve one matter. The car, it's history and the seller are all excellent.

Because my wife has a disability we sometimes have to carry quite a lot of stuff. The issue is that we are going from a Corolla Liftback which has a massive boot. Whilst technically the Prius offers quite a good amount of boot space (due to various cubby holes and the under boot floor "box) the issue for us is the main boot area being so shallow (with the cover/blind in it's proper position) and the combinations of things we have to carry.

My question is: how flexible is the Prius boot cover to deal with taller loads (in other words how far would it stretch or deform and still attach at the rear and cover the contents? For example, one combination we would have is a resin "day-bed" which ideally could sit on top of 2 large suitcases, or another combination would be a wheelchair on top of the cases. In the most extreme combination, the load would sit about 7 inches higher than the horizontal level of the normal blind position. Would it stretch that far over and still attach? Obviously I could retract the blind or take it out but sometimes I wouldn't be keen for some of the contents to be on display.

Secondly I was so obsessed with the boot that I didn't focus on any other luggage compartments inside the car (albeit that wouldn't help with the primary issue). I would nevertheless be interested if there are any other significant compartments in the car.

Presumably they take roof bars and thus supplementary stuff could go in a roof box if absolutely necessary?

Any help, thoughts or advice would be most gratefully received.

Seeing as you need answers now I'd say why not try signing up to one of the many Prius owners clubs: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=prius+forum&oq=prius+forum&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3111j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Bound to be more chance of getting the answers you need on one of them then on here especially as you're maybe buying tomorrow.

Good luck on both counts. :thumbs:

Seeing as you need answers now I'd say why not try signing up to one of the many Prius owners clubs: https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Bound to be more chance of getting the answers you need on one of them then on here especially as you're maybe buying tomorrow.

Good luck on both counts. :thumbs:

Thank you. Am already a member of TOC and have already posted still waiting for an answer. Only trying here because you guys on here are so good and it's very active ...... I thought I might get lucky!

• Like 1

I know the rear chassis is the same on both cars. Yeah you can get roof bars for them I'm sure your local halfrauds can help you there. I don't think the cover will stretch that far but not 100 percent on that.

I know the rear chassis is the same on both cars. Yeah you can get roof bars for them I'm sure your local halfrauds can help you there. I don't think the cover will stretch that far but not 100 percent on that.

Thanks re the roof bars. I'd assumed that was the case but just wanted to check. I'm watching various youtube videos in the hope that I'll answer the boot cover question, pending someone on TOC responding!

Hopefully you're getting close to having all your questions answered, ...free bump to the top again. ;)

Thank you. The youtube videos have helped re additional storage compartments, roof bars and boxes....plus I've seen some very odd and large things being inserted into American Priuses :p I'm still trying to find out how flexible the boot tonneau cover thing is. All of the large "insertions" viewed so far were with the cover removed B) Still awaiting anyone from TOC although I've had loads of views.

• Like 1

Got some helpful info from TOC and decided to return for further checks and an extended test drive. Have decided to stick with the Camry based on usable boot space and it's better ride quality (my wife's problem is with her spine).

Got some helpful info from TOC and decided to return for further checks and an extended test drive. Have decided to stick with the Camry based on usable boot space and it's better ride quality (my wife's problem is with her spine).

Sorry to hear about your wife's problem, ...that must be terrible for her. Nice having a new/different car but no sense changing from her old one if the new one isn't right.

Good luck with it if she decides to change in the future. :thumbs:

• Like 1

We have a Prius but cant really help re - luggage cover as we just pop it out if needs be. You could just cover the stuff in the boot with a cheap tarpaulin or even get the rear windows tinted

You have the areas at the sides in the boot which lift out with tabs and the storage compartment under the boot floor which can be lifted out if needs be for more room (the spare wheel is under there)

Dunno what part of Surrey you are in but in near Newbury , you are welcome to come and bring stuff to trial fit in ours if it helps

P1000966_zpseeroyvlg.jpg

P1000964_zpsghpvn7yy.jpg

• Like 1

We have a Prius but cant really help re - luggage cover as we just pop it out if needs be. You could just cover the stuff in the boot with a cheap tarpaulin or even get the rear windows tinted

You have the areas at the sides in the boot which lift out with tabs and the storage compartment under the boot floor which can be lifted out if needs be for more room (the spare wheel is under there)

Dunno what part of Surrey you are in but in near Newbury , you are welcome to come and bring stuff to trial fit in ours if it helps

P1000966_zpseeroyvlg.jpg

P1000964_zpsghpvn7yy.jpg

Many thanks for your helpful post and offer. We could probably just about have managed with the boot but ultimately Caroline had issues with the seat/ride quality combination. The dealer allowed us to have a very extended test drive and whilst, initially we had thought it would be ok, it did actually cause her quite a bit of discomfort. This is not to say the ride is overly hard or there is anything wrong (we actually liked the car very much) but with all the screws and Graf Ligaments in her spine (and the knock on effects it has had) the only way we can judge is by actually trying. The Camry isn't perfect but it's heading in the right direction and a good fall-back. We also plough on with our ancient Corollas because she is so comfortable in those (I have 2 just in case!). My concern is safety (they have no air bags or side protection etc). Also they have no Aircon, which is an issue if you are travelling through central Spain in the summer B) (having said that we've managed for 24 years with them). The other issue is they are starting to develop some purely age related issues. I will continue my research into seats, ride quality and reclining systems. I do have some ideas and won't give up.