The EV problem.

Zeezeebaba

14 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

But it doesn't take 45+ minutes for an A45 AMG to be able to do its pedestrian 0-60 time...

Incidentally, that is why an electric hot hatch won't be able to do sub 3 second launches. ;)

No, but as someone hinted at earlier, the AMG owner better take 15 minutes to fully warm up their oil or their engine might go pop at some point :surrender:

3 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

But it doesn't take 45+ minutes for an A45 AMG to be able to do its pedestrian 0-60 time...

Incidentally, that is why an electric hot hatch won't be able to do sub 3 second launches. ;)

You need to warm up the battery to do a sub 2.5 second 0-60 time, but any of the P AWD Tesla will do 3 second 0-60 times with no warm up. The 0.5 second drop in 0-60 time needs an extrapoential increase in energy.

The time it takes to engage 'insane' mode (3.1 second 0-60) on a P85D is the time it takes to press the button, and it works from a cold start - not that I tired it straight away on the road leading out of the dealership;).

Same drivetrain but in a car that weighs 800kg lighter would deliver some crazy levels of acceleration....providing Tesla don't do a Porsche and artificially limit performance of cheaper cars so not to upset the pecking order.

The 'P' variant of the Model 3 should be quite some car, am saving up for it already, just need to find a way to persuade my wife to drive the X instead.

Anyways I thought none of you are bothered about 0-60 times :).

Edited by gangzoom

On 16/08/2017 at 22:27, gangzoom said:

A P100D can out drag a Lamborghini Huracan, until you drive one of the 'P' car you simply don't cannot understand how quickly they launch. A45 AMG is like a 1.0 Nissan Micra in comparison. 

Not sure why you don't think a hot hatch can get to 60 in 3 seconds when a 2.5 ton 5 metre long Model S can do it in under 2.5. The Model 3 weighs 800kg less than a S, but has the same battery voltage as the P85D. The only reason it wouldn't be able to hit 60 in under 3 seconds will be related to marketing and Tesla not wanting to the cheaper 3 to upset the more expensive S - A bit like Porsche with the not wanting anything to upset the 911. 

As i said, if you are a traffic light hero or vin diesel you are going to be impressed by 0-60 times, the irony is, i doubt once in your ownership you have ever gone 0-60 so its utterly irrelevant, statistically or physically and that goes for ice or ev and if you do decide to floor it from every set of traffic lights, you arent going to get anywhere near your max range so you can put up your above video and claim a moral victory, but aside looks and noise, the Huracan will do that all day whilst you are still looking for the plug socket and please feel free to replicate what the nissan micra like a45 amg can do with something a little more interesting than a straight bit of boring tarmac in front of you and we will be seeing some more photos of written of Teslas.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

A lot of youtubers say the acceleration gets boring pretty quickly as they only perform in a straight line and feel very heavy and cumbersome. 

I dont care care if it's quicker to 60. Who in their right mind would have a tesla over a Lamborghini. 

Id rather have a A45 too. 

Edited by Kev

4 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I can't think of a more boring measure of a car than its 0-60mph, but that's just me.

Cannot say I disagree, but it wasn't me who's dragged up 0-60 times as a talking point ;)

For me the most important part of a car is been able to transport the family from A to B, but at the same time put a smile on my face. 

We covered 170 miles yesterday in the X, nearly all dual carriageway/M way spent most of the time in the overtaking lanes doing 'reasonable' speeds given the number of cameras on the M1/A43, was also stuck on M1 at one point for 1 hr due to cows in the road, and caught some MotoGP traffic the way back. In total spent over 4.5hrs on the road, am not sure about you guys but 4.5hrs in a car with a 18 months old is a long long time!!!

But the X performed beautifully, I cannot think of another car I would rather have done the trip in. It really is remakable our 170 mile trip was done without any sound of a combustion engine, and Autopilot did a huge chunk of the 'driving', prehapes even more remarkable is the fact our Model X wasn't the product of Ford/Mercedes etc whom all have been building cars forever but from a company that barely existed 10 years ago.

The reason for the trip was a classic car show, and it was lovely to see the contrast between the old/new. The fact the organiser asked Tesla to put a Model S next to a lovingly restored E Type clearly shows even among people of a certain age there is now recognition EVs are the future, and in our case very much the present. 

I've now covered some 7K miles in the Tesla since March, with 200 miles of real life range my wifes Lexus is firmly taken a back seat and only used for her work commute. 

I cannot wait for us to trade in her Lexus for an EV, and the more I see of the Model S the more I'm thinking why bother waiting another 2-3 years for the Model 3 when the S is available here and now.......so who knows, by the end of the year we might have a fully electric driveway.....amazing to think when we first started looking for a replacement for my wifes old car a few years ago at one point a 6 cylinder XF was on the cards to go along side the 335i......Oh how times have changed (for use anyways) :lol:.

36711377181_a959a32eb3_z_d.jpg

36711383451_08dc8486c3_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

On 14/08/2017 at 06:12, gangzoom said:

To get the 2.3 second 0-60 time on the P100D you have to have battery warm, which if it's zero degrees outside will take time.

Non 'ludicrous' mode I believe is a rather pedestrian 3 second 0-60 time.

My X is like a 1.0 Nissan Micra in comparison at 4.9 seconds 0-60.

Still hoping the a sub 2 second 0-60 time will be offered soon, but I believe current tyre compounds is the limiting factor not the power.

That was the first mention of 0-60 in this thread, and it was by you GZ. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gangzoom said:

I cannot think of another car I would rather have done the trip in

You obviously havent travelled in a Bentley, full fat big daddy Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, Rolls Royce....the list goes on and on and on and on, much like yourself ;) 

• Like 1

We go from Brum to Cornwall twice a year in the Note with our two little girls. Absolutely no issues what so ever and when we arrive, these tiny two way country lanes are a breeze with the cars narrow body - I'd hate anything significantly wider. 

• Like 1

You know which three of you I am talking to when I say this:

Leave it. 

You're never gonna see each other's point of view. And whilst you have so far kept things civil it is getting boring seeing you going round and round in circles. 

Anyone who knows me will know which side I chose in the EV vs IC debate, and it is difficult not to take sides. So for once this is me being diplomatic. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, un1eash said:

Only 220 model 3's delivered in Q3, Uk pre orders will be a very long way off, 2020 maybe?

Tesla originally said the X would be out in 2015, we got ours only a few month ago, and we ordered ours before RHD production had started.

Anyone who have actually followed Tesla product development will be familiar with the concept that Tesla time doesn't really follow normal human time :).

Late 2019/Early 2020 is when I think first RHD Model 3 will arrive.

Edited by gangzoom

12 hours ago, Ekona said:

Even better it was 220 delivered out of 260 made, so nearly 20% being rectified :lol: 

Quality control may need some serious work more than anything else. Still, he’s off to Mars in a few years, so who cares?

As @gangzoom says though, Musk time is different from ours and deadlines are there to be missed, so I think we're stuck with him a while longer yet.