Small Estate - Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3 series Touring or Volvo V50

Sam Mcgoo

I've not been about for a while, busy with work and life etc.. but couldn't think of a better place to ask opinions on my next purchase (and I miss this place :blush: )

So, I've got a baby girl arriving in the next 6 weeks :scare: .

The GT-R is staying, and although being surprisingly practical and a 4 seater with a reasonable boot, being a 2 door I can't see it being our daily for trips to the shops etc. The same same goes for the missus' Fiesta being a 2 door so that's gonna go.

I refuse to have a people carrier. They just don't interest me. Have thought about Landrover/Range rover and a few other 4x4s but reliability bothers me as I work away for 3 weeks at a time and don't want the hassle of the wife having problems while I'm away.

We've decided that it'd make sense to get a small estate. It'd be practical for the family and also allow me to chuck in the DIY stuff and do the occasional tip run. Small estate, as the missus doesn't wanna be faffing around finding spaces for a large estate.

Budget 5-6k

I've narrowed it down to the above 3 options, but I'm really torn. If I'm honest, the V50 R-design was my first choice as I like to drive a car you don't see every 5 minutes, and it looked sporty enough to keep me interested. Also, I didn't really wanna be a BMW/VAG w*nker. :lol: However I know they are good options, so I'm getting drawn in.

The other BIG problem is Petrol or Diesel. Again I'm really torn. Having never had a diesel or even an economical car, I was tempted with a diesel family wagon, but with the current climate and unknown future taxes/ diesel price and tax increases I'm now thinking it might be safer to stick with petrol?

So, opinions welcome. In particular on the above 3 cars and their corresponding petrol and diesel engine options as I know very little about them.

I would like something reliable, not boring to drive and preferably 40+ mpg, although if in the 30s and loads of fun, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But remember I've got the GT-R for fun.

Cheers.

Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback.

basically an Evo X but with a smaller turbo and a big boot.

6k will get you a 2011 reg with under 60k on the clock

I will have a look, but I fear the wife will deem it 'Ugly'

It's a good shout and was actually number 4 on my list! I don't know anyone that knows anything about them, do you? Are they reliable ? I do like the look of them.

It's basically a Vectra but improved by Swedes and made good.

Gonna be more reliable and cheaper to run than a BMW / Audi.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Having been through the whole baby arriving thing, I found that an estate is useful but not necessary (neighbour had one we didnt, they never used anywhere near the full boot space) so wouldn't get hung up on boot space. In fact we easily managed using the R33! The only advantage of four doors is the obvious ease of putting in and removing said child, I didnt mind as am a reasonably flexible guy (have to be to own a VX220...) - so I wouldnt worry about boot space as a factor really IMO.

• Like 1

3 series wagon boot aint they big i found out no bigger than a focus etc

Depending on your badge snobbery, how about a seat exeo?

004a.jpg

Your right, the boots on the BMW nor the Audi or volvo are any bigger than the saloon versions. Its more about the size of the opening that makes them more useful.

I've never seen one those seat before. Will have a look now :thumbs:

We have a Volvo XC60 T4 2.0 turbo with 240bhp as our family cruiser. It is a truly EPIC car, I love it. I know it's not a V50, but I refer to it because I have a new respect for Volvo since my wife got that car. Get the Volvo, I've become a fan, they're better value than the BMW, and as for the Audi, just no. Unless you want everyone to think you're an exec on his way to his next meeting.

DON'T GET DIESEL! Scientists have done a complete u-turn on the propriety of diesel as a viable long term fuel. It is going the way of the dodo VERY soon, but not before huge tax increases, and increases in the costs of diesel itself, as everyone slowly drops it.

Here's a left field choice...the most beautiful estate car on the road (still)...SUPER cheap to buy and a cabin to die for. Get the 2.2 version, as long as someone is selling one of these, I wouldn't look twice at the Seat.

If you do go for the BMW, make it an E90 330.

58446-a-alf.jpg

Edited by Aashenfox

Having been through the whole baby arriving thing, I found that an estate is useful but not necessary (neighbour had one we didnt, they never used anywhere near the full boot space) so wouldn't get hung up on boot space. In fact we easily managed using the R33! The only advantage of four doors is the obvious ease of putting in and removing said child, I didnt mind as am a reasonably flexible guy (have to be to own a VX220...) - so I wouldnt worry about boot space as a factor really IMO.

Yeah, your right. But its more about the size of the opening that makes them more useful to me. We live out in the country and I quite often have to borrow a van from friends or family for DIY, tip runs and large purchases etc..So the flexibility is what I'm after rather than the outright size.

Skoda Superb would be a good choice. Very solid car.

But if you want something that's remotely interesting to drive at any point, you need RWD so that's just the BMW really.

The Skoda is a bit too big I think. Well it looks very long, which I know the wife won't like.

As you say, the drivers choice would be the BMW, especially if I go for a petrol over a diesel as their Petrol engines seem to have a better compromise between economy and performance than the other options.

Missed this...

My vote would be the 159, and I see perfectly why Clarkson, May and Hammond love Alfa's. I have the 159 saloon 2.4 JTDM, love the damn thing! Took a risk and bought one with 60k on the clock 2007 for £4,800 two and a half years ago. Up until 2 weeks ago it didn't cost me a penny (tyres and service) to run up 70k miles. Recent turbo failure @131k miles has made a bit of a dent in my running costs. Although she's a dream to drive 200bhp and 300 lbft of torque. A great sleeper for motorway cruising and tickling the back door of those motorway beemers! Fantastic interior, power AND economy is great, and yes I'm averaging 49mpg for my 160 miles daily commute.

If I had to give a negative opinion it would be the corners! Although since getting my Zed back it's probably this that's made me feel cornering in the Alfa is like a sack of spuds falling off a child's roundabout.

There's a huge number of Alfa bargains out their, where the prices are low due to historical theory that Alfa's will break every single day. They won't, considerably different to yesteryear.

The SAAB forget it, a guy at work has two, both are continuously in the garage or breaking down at the side of the road.