Anyone know anything about classic cars, in particular, Mercedes?

Jay Kay

Gotcha. Some define a classic car as anything over 10-15 years old.

10 years old is an 07 plate, I dont think anyone would call that a classic TBF.

What do you want to know OP, a mate of mine was doing one up but due to the loss of a couple of limbs (seriously :lol:) he had to stop, he may even still have it for sale if youre interested?

• Like 1

Do you ever stop?

People call music from 2010 "old skool" but that doesnt mean it is, a car thats less than 10 years old is not a classic. Collectable, a future classic, an investment by all means, but classic?

• Like 2

Do you ever stop?

People call music from 2010 "old skool" but that doesnt mean it is, a car thats less than 10 years old is not a classic. Collectable, a future classic, an investment by all means, but classic?

Many insurers deem a car older than 10 years of age a classic and will offer classic car insurance for it. Take it up with them not me.

I had a couple of mk1 Golfs on carbs. Great little car when it ran. The amount of time spent resetting points, condensors, and timing up with a strobe twisting the dissy cap was awful. Every now and again I think ill get another. Then I take myself off for a quiet word with myself and forget it. Traditionally Classic referred to anything tax exempt. Insurers will say anything to get a sale so there opinion doesn't count. For me classic is anything my parents had when i was under 10, which i get is quite subjective.

HMRC defines it as anything over 15 years old worth over £15k.

Insurers usually charge less for classic policies though, which I don't they are particularly enthusiastic about doing, so i think their definition is valid.

Edited by Strudul

Cheers docwra. I could be interested depending on what needs doing. Can you please find out more if you have the time. I still havent found a replacement yet for the Zed, which I sold last August and having been through the pros and cons of various sports cars, I'm now considering something completely different. I don't have much time or space for a complete resto but would be interested to hear what your friend has. I drove one over the weekend and if I can haggle the price down by quite a bit I may have it, I just don't think that we'll be able to agree on a price though. The owner is 87 and had it donkeys years, it will be his last ever car so he's very attached and unfortunately he's prices it such that it's unlikely to sell anytime soon and he may not want to go as low as I think he needs to

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No probs, thanks anyway. The other car I have been considering has come back to me with a price that may be doable. He has one more viewing tonight and if they don't offer more than I am prepared to pay, then I might just do a deal on it. Well see...

1971 w115. 220 petrol

I know nothing but i share a love of classic Merc's. Love the w115 and the early 60's W112 with those stacked headlights. All started with my 190e.

Unfortunately the prices seem to have drifted up a lot in recent years as their cool looks have not gone unnoticed.

Proper cruiser sat along side a proper drifter is my perfect driveway.

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance for any model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line. We have a number of classic cars schemes that cater for vehicles of all ages.

Regards,

Dan.

Would you insure an 03 Jdm zed as a classic?

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance for any model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line. We have a number of classic cars schemes that cater for vehicles of all ages.

Regards,

Dan.

Full Classic Car Insurance is based on more than just vehicle age. There are various other factors such as it being a second vehicle, garaged, limited mileage, social domestic and pleasure use only etc.

Regards

Dan

Hi,

Regards,

Dan.

Full Classic Car Insurance is based on more than just vehicle age. There are various other factors such as it being a second vehicle, garaged, limited mileage, social domestic and pleasure use only etc.

Regards

Dan

What if those factors were

Second Vehicle

garaged ( would on a private drive count or is it only classed as classic if locked up)

3,000 miles a year

and

only for SDP

sorry for the off topic

Love the w115 and the early 60's W112 with those stacked headlights.

I remember seeing a White, VGC W112 convertible for sale in St Tropez about 10 years ago for IIRC about 8/10K Euro, I seriously considered buying it and driving it back but couldnt get any more time off work, and was a little dubious about getting a 1960's car back from South of France.

They appear to go for 6 figures now :doh:

• Like 1

I know its a different scale, but my mk1 Golf had zero rust, bilstein shocks and springs and zero panel damage. I moved out, mum wanted it gone...and I scrapped it. A non running shell goes for silly money now.

Bare in mind that classic insurance usually gives you full no claims bonus right from the start but its not transferable onto a modern vehicle.

This means if you have a classic for a few years you could lose any no claims bonus you have right now. Might be worth not having it on a classic policy if possible unless you have another car insured in your name.

I`ve had a few classics in my time as my only vehicle so it was expensive when i got a normal vehicle and had to start off without any no claims bonus.

Edited by gsexr

Hi,

Regards,

Dan.

Regards

Dan

What if those factors were

Second Vehicle

garaged ( would on a private drive count or is it only classed as classic if locked up)

3,000 miles a year

and

only for SDP

sorry for the off topic

If you wanted to drop me a PM I'd be happy to arrange a quotation for you.

Regards

Dan

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had agreed a price with the owner and got the green light to buy the car. Very excited but also nervous having never owned a classic, knowing I'd hardly ever drive it and would probably therefore regret buying it but mostly as its a lovely old thing that could cost me a fortune if it's a lemon. I went back and forth for days trying to work out whether to pick it up or not, I dont think it's a lemon, it's in good shape and averaged only about 1000 miles per year throughout its life, so decided in the end if I cleared my garage out and it fits then I'm having it.

Measured the width and all is well. Measured the door opening and yep, it'll fit through. With a big grin on my face I measured the length and bugger, 10 inches too short.

The car is over 45 years old and garaged it's whole life and a few experts said that leaving it out through the winter would destroy it very quickly.

I have called the owner today and told him I'm going to step aside as I know someone else is interested. Feeling quite glum about it now