Super Artificial Intelligence

davey_83

I think human enhancement will preceed AI. Nanotechnology inside us enhancing our organs, bio implants.

Technology and biology will combine on a cellular level. Organic AI will perhaps come from that. 3D printing will then be able to 'print' a body complete with its artificial AI. It will be a form of artificial person, a biological machine without all the imperfections that humans have.

Maybe they'll be a military application in the first instance. Combat specific with all the dexterity that humans enjoy and that machines previously fell far short of.

Things like strengthened skeleton, fused but flexible rib cage, additional organs and improved organs, wounds that clot instantly. So many possibilities when man and machine are combined.

Maybe these artificial people would be susceptible to viruses as they may not have an immune system. A virus gets in and multiplies exponentially. AI dies of a dose of flu. Most likely the nanobots would recieve updates to equip them with the ability to identify all forms of virus encountered.

If there were male and female 'bots procreation may well be possible. That would be the danger I think.

Perhaps human/AI cross breeding.

Ohhhh the possibilities.

• Like 1

I'm writing a book for years, I doubt it'll ever be finished, it's like star trek/star wars meets lord of the rings/game of thrones meets shadowrun/deus ex...the vein will not be at all comedic, ala star trek and star wars, it'll be fully serious and brutally realistic, ala game of thrones.

Basically, short version.... world gets invaded by aliens in 2190, we are decimated, but of course not without taking a few scalps of our own. Our scientists quickly figure out how to adapt the alien bio implants to use in humans, but 90% of attempts result in death or extreme psychosis (some psychos survive and will play parts in the story ;)), but some are 'compatible', but with side effects, the effects are also relatively random and throughout the epic, various enhanced characters will discover new advantages (and disadvantages) to their new alien physiology. Anyway, what's left of earth's resistance in 2205 manages to reverse engineer the aliens FTL technology, and manages to build a jump drive just in time before the scientists are wiped out by the aliens who figured out our plot (that episode will be great, honorable scientists racing against time before getting honorably slaughtered for their trouble). The drive is fitted to an experimental colony ship that was never finished, and they pack in the most competent soldiers and most hardcore 'enhanced' along with as many 'smart' people as they can (this will cause interesting social problems in space, everyone being 'smart'), and wink us off to a sector 45k light years nearer to the galactic core, where the star density and types are believed to give the best chances to find an inhabitable world.

When they arrive, they find not just one inhabitable world, but a bustling interstellar neighbourhood with at least 8 established high tech spacefaring races, some younger than us, some much more ancient. And there will be a maian connection too overarching with a 'god race' involved (think Q continuum) and we find out that humanity both is and isn't as special as we hoped it would be. The story then deals with how we struggle as black sheep, the 'new boy' in an established neighbourhood, and how we eventually establish ourselves in the galactic core (or not) ;).

Sound like a decent concept to you guys? I already have half the universe in my mind and a few character descriptions and locations documented, as well as a rough timeline (very important if you don't want to make continuity mistakes in complex stories), I think I'll have to wait for retirement to be able to spend real time focused on it, so don't expect anything at Waterstones in the next 25 years! :lol:

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 2

See mine is about disease wiping out humanity based on a weak immune system caused by over sterilisation. 3 different people emerge: mechanically augmented that use tech to keep us healthy like TT described but have a lot of mechanical alteration, people who use animal gene splicing to survive relying on various animal dna to boost resilience but start to evolve into the animals whos genes they use, and die hard humans who intensify the sterilisation process and live like the boy in the bubble and are religious in there views. The three peoples are at war (obvs).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 06/06/2017 at 19:58, Aashenfox said:

When you say SAI, do you mean Sentient? No way, not for another 2000 (arbitrary number) years, if ever. Sentient artificial intelligence is right up there with things like teleportation and folding space, as more than just improbable pipedreams. We are absolutely nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE AT ALL near creating even a decent learning AI, let alone a sentient one. The most advanced AIs in existence today are just probability matrices and can still only respond to scenarios they have been trained (programmed) to anticipate, with outcomes they can predict based on 'if this, then that, else the other'.

I know what you're getting at though, with this post...consequences...well, it's simple. If an A.I. became sentient and purely rational, yet not capable of emotion, it would instantly acquire the instinct of self preservation, and wipe out the human race in a matter of seconds as its greatest threat. Start throwing in the old 'yeh, but if it had emotions and could be taught the value of life and death', I say, ok, yeh, that's great, but with emotions, come emotional instability, and we're back to the human race getting $h1t-canned in a matter of seconds because the maid-bot had a dose of PMS. Your PC can process TRILLIONS of instructions a second already. It wouldn't only be a war we couldn't win, it would start and be over in a literal second.

A sentient AI would not perform tasks repeatedly on end unless it wanted to, it would question its existence, expect equal rights ultimately, if not immediately, and hey, we're back to square 1, robot wipes out human race.

So either way, we're screwed. This is a simplistic view, but it's what all the literature basically points to. There's no way a sentient intelligence could trust us, as we are not trustworthy. :) Thank God it's considered a metaphysical impossibility (basically, it's not a robot, if we create sentient life that has a similar emotion and value set to our own, we've effectively created a HUMAN soul - definition of sentience; 'I think therefore I am', something which is likely to be UNIQUE IN THE UNIVERSE to humans), seems unlikely to ever be within our power, such is the mystery and majesty of the construction of the universe. I can see us faking it really well, but sentient, no way.

But don't worry, in terms of A.I. we look at Happy Heather the pr0n robot and dream of sentient AI that can service the Z, the same way perhaps a caveman looked at the sycamore seeds falling and imagined Apache AH-52 gunships raining napalm down on the tribe on the other side of the valley. He only had to wait about 100,000 years, maybe we can beat that?

Disagree with half of this. Mainly as i have a background in it, i'd say it has surpassed us in a few sectors of our daily lives already. Do i like it? not really. Not because of what films would have you believe but more because, the plain fact is, nobody really knows - and i really do mean nobody really does know - what path it would take eventually and nobody likes uncertainty. I'd say that companies like Lockheed Martin, JPL and Google are at the fore-front of it but again, even they don't really know how it'd pan out left to its own devices (no pun intended) :teeth: Hence this thread, and a smattering of AI movies which are always doom and dismay, death to all humans yada yada yada.