Super Artificial Intelligence

davey_83

Loved chappie, especially the scene with Hugh Jackman near the end. "You're a very badman, and now chappies going to teach you a lesson!"

Machines that could lift a car or truck, scale a wall, with human emotions. Yeah thats not going to end well when you've got a half ton machine throwing a paddy. I like the idea of augmentation, Id happily have a terminator body if it meant I could retain my human mind inside! But that presents another set of issues!

Humans, the most complicated creatures.

Loved chappie, especially the scene with Hugh Jackman near the end. "You're a very badman, and now chappies going to teach you a lesson!"

Machines that could lift a car or truck, scale a wall, with human emotions. Yeah thats not going to end well when you've got a half ton machine throwing a paddy. I like the idea of augmentation, Id happily have a terminator body if it meant I could retain my human mind inside! But that presents another set of issues!

Humans, the most complicated creatures.

Yeah like the possibility of having components hacked. I'd happily have an ocular implant with live data feeds of my surroundings. Not sure if id sacrifice an arm or leg though...maybe my left arm

I found it boring and pretentious. Nice idea, but dull as ditchwater.

The cinematography and direction was as good as the first Alien. It was a little slow, but that was for you to enjoy the imagery, which was, phenomenal, every scene had impact. The fact that the robot, the ultimate in technology, was designed and existed in the middle of the most organic of things, a rainforest, was one of my favourite aspects, there was a lot of that, contrasting imagery. The dancing scene was something else as well, showing the total lack of humility in front of something so important. If you watch it with a critical eye, it's hard not to love it. I'm usually an action fan, but that movie has so many subtle genius touches, almost easter eggs, that you gotta tip your hat and say respect, imo.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

Human implantation will begin soon I reckon, starting with bone conduction audio. A tiny 'speaker' of a sort, attached to a bone, vibrates your skeleton to create sound waves, gives you audio in your head that only you can hear (it;s already available in retail products). Quality isn't great yet, but it will get there, at least for taking calls it will be fine, and when it's implanted internalyy directly to a bone without skin in the way, naturally quality will better. No need for headsets any more and no need to cover your ears to be able to hear something privately (I hate headphones for this reason, I feel cut off from reality cos my ears are blocked and I can't hear what's going on around me, bone conduction is perfect for people like me, as you can still fully hear your surroundings at normal volume, as well as whatever else you are hearing.

There are potential pitfalls even in something so simple, what if someone hacked it and forced you to listen to Agadoo at full volume 24/7, you'd cut yourself open to get rid of it!! It's stretch, but things like that will have to be considered. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

Tilly Lockey with her almost fully controllable Deus Ex styled arm created by Open Bionics, partially funded by Square Enix Montreal. She lost her arm to meningitis when she was much smaller.

The work that Open Bionics does is incredible. I read her story a few months ago, nearly made ME cry and I didn't think i could.

Edit: image wouldn't paste, but google her its amazing

Edited by Jay84
  • Like 2

Amazing. And I'm sure that this wasn't your point, but I want to say anyway for anyone else who might be reading...

That's transplantation rather than implantation and it's not an improvement on the original design. It's critical to differentiate between choosing to integrate technology into a fully functioning body (because you believe it is an improvement, or at least a useful augmentation to the original part), rather than repairing or replacing a broken or missing body part. In other words, while Tilley's story and arm IS amazing and shows how far we've come, would you choose to swap your real one? Obviously not yet, which shows that we still have a long way to go. But bone conduction is a tangible improvement on our ears, as it gives our ears bluetooth connectivity, and therefore is a different category of bio-implantation.

Just pointing out the difference as far as the debate goes, not trying to correct you or anything or reduce the relevance of your post, Jay. :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 2

I liked Ex Machina.

It was slow, but extremely gripping, tense, and thought provoking. It's not an action film, it shouldn't be fast paced... That's like criticising a horror movie for not being funny.

Though admittedly the ending was crap

Exactly on the mark of my point Fox, a showcase of whats becoming possible. Would I swap? Not until the arm has other benefits...like a bottle opening or a house key attachment...I would go down the pop up weapons route but I'm not an avenger to quote another thread.

This too interests me greatly, I'm a programmer for a living. Had a crack at coding my own chat bot a while ago, it was able to learn basic things from the conversations it had with people on Omegle, but if you've ever been on omegle you'll know it's full of trolls and sexually frustrated people, so within a day or two the bot was corrupt and basically became a sexual predator, which provided some highly amusing conversation logs :,)

• Like 6

See I was thinking satnav, HUD and internet access. Maybe even watching films. I suppose thermal overlays may also be good. Childishly x-ray vision, but i know thats a silly childish concept :lol:.

Going back to the ops original opener, would computerised AI be bound by the 3 laws of robotics?

• Like 1

Sadly, Im the cynical one.......... can you imagine the "in use purchases", you seem to be enjoying your purchase, to continue using it please provide your credit card details.

And on the AI front, I have seen developers at work.... the kill all humans button would be out-of-order...... just like the self destruct cancellation button in SpaceBalls.

• Like 1

The three laws of robotics are clever in design but unimplementable. You'd still have to program prioritisation of death or risk the robot deciding on its own, or failing to react at all. For example, a school bus with 10 children just went over the bridge, but also a bus carrying the world's greatest physicists, without whom science would be set back generations. What's more important? This is why self drive cars will never be truly 'Johnnycabs', it's an impossioble conundrum. In any case a robot faced a situation it had not been programmed to anticipate, it might decide that the best course of action to solve an unsolvable equation is NOT to solve it, and let both buses go to their deaths, or they might try to save both and fail at either. This decision making (and the ability to deceive) is the advantage we will always have over our robot overlords. Sadly it won't stop them wiping us out in the blink of an eye, but I'll take what I can get. :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I first read the title of this thread as 'superficial intelligence' there's a lot of it out there :lol:

It's not an area I'm at all familiar with and I'm as cynical as grahamc as far as anything implant wise that said I have a mate who has a Bluetooth pacemaker which has obviously made his life an awful lot better but the first thing we tried to do was connect to it.... seems they had already thought of that and does have encryption :lol:

• Like 3

I first read the title of this thread as 'superficial intelligence' there's a lot of it out there :lol:

It's not an area I'm at all familiar with and I'm as cynical as grahamc as far as anything implant wise that said I have a mate who has a Bluetooth pacemaker which has obviously made his life an awful lot better but the first thing we tried to do was connect to it.... seems they had already thought of that and does have encryption :lol:

Me a cynic :scare: well Im just appalled! :boxing:

I work in IT, I see how bad security is everyday and the security/data auditing that is done is just a joke!

• Like 1