Thinking about a change

evilscorp

Wife and 5 year old plus accompanying luggage, scooter and bike all fitted into the Celica for a 4 day break in Wales last weekend ;) you lot don't know what you are missing :lol:

Celica's have big boots, its rear head room and leg room that's the issue i seem to remember.

My mum had 2 or three, remember doing long distances i them as a teen was hell, my head having to go in the boot space as it was against the roof otherwise. Still didn't stop me deciding it would be a practical car for me though :lol:

I've had a celica in the past coldel albeit the final and worst one in my opinion (engine sounded like a bag of nails, cabin noise was bad)

Not got kids yet so two projects ain't too much hassle lol, but I expect they will come along soon and ruin my fun, as for the pram, maybe something I missed, what size are those buggers?

• Like 1

I've had a celica in the past coldel albeit the final and worst one in my opinion (engine sounded like a bag of nails, cabin noise was bad)

Not got kids yet so two projects ain't too much hassle lol, but I expect they will come along soon and ruin my fun, as for the pram, maybe something I missed, what size are those buggers?

They fold sort of flat. The issue with kids (well, babies) is, whether you go out for a few hours or a few days you need the same amount of stuff. My biggest trauma with my girls now is which is going in the zed, and which the crashqai. It'll be other trauma when they're teens, but i'm in denial about that.

Well the 200sx is scary cheap compared to others so doing my research, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-NISSAN-200-SX-TOURING-EMERALD-GREEN-LOW-MILEAGE/332245902161?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd31b7ba2493b4c319ba2f26815127353%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D332245902161&_trkparms=pageci%253Abf060a59-4c53-11e7-891c-74dbd180afa7%257Cparentrq%253A8807aa7a15c0aa4759e6e562fff200c2%257Ciid%253A1

So far it seems like the rust has been cut and welded in the past but I am probing the guy for answers and pictures to prove it, been through the MOT and it appears it has had lots fixed in the past few years due to rust (advisory's and failure points.)

The worry is the licence plate being covered up.

That is actually not a bad price for the mileage (If that's is the genuine mileage!). Looks alright from the pics, but you're right to ask for additional pics for the rust fixes - typically starts in the front of the rear wheel arches at the bottom and moves forward along the sills. Ask for pics here and ask whether the fixes are patches or full panel replacements. Also get pics of under the boot carpet/spare wheel well - surface rust is Ok, anything more and it could mean the whole rear panel is rotten.

Also ask is if the fuel pump has been replaced, it's by far the most common first failure on these cars, manifold/turbo gasket failure is second most common fault, check for replacement. Other things - standard exhaust manifold can crack at the joints, due to the weight of the turbo hanging off it. Rust can form around the front/rear windows were the plastic cover trim has been allowed to lift by perishing sealant, but is not often.

Rust along the engine bay slam panel/ radiator top core support is nothing to worry about, just looks bad! The leather on the seat bolsters also looks bad, but a good go with leather restorer and 'feed' should bring them back.

Of course I could go on but the best resource I can recommend is the SXOC forum SXOC - cool bunch of people and always welcoming :thumbs:

They are things of beauty and I really miss mine!

IMG_0854s_zpso1wn86ss.jpg

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

:) Draco

Edited by Dracostan

Nice. Drop it on it's arse

tumblr_o2nemiSoSl1u08z07o1_500.jpg

$_86.JPG

JDboa0.jpg

e3b47b6e43ad044e3eb6ce90787b98a3.jpg

It's going to be a daily driver cmon now be sensible... 1762b2da75e8e8aea2b0b8e393f32562.png

Maybe raised up slightly.... with a VQ35 under the bonnet.

Thanks Dracostan some good advice and yeah I will need to get on sxoc asap.

They guy must have got my number off ebay as he phoned me just as I was heading to work, so he is keen to sell... could be bad could be good, I said I would talk to him tomorrow, as I am still awaiting more photo's.

Might have bought it :teeth: won't let me upload a picture though, think the forum is broken? :dry:

Only issues with the car are minor rust spots, windscreen rubber is fooked/missing joining sections, and the tracking or wheel balance is out due to a 60-70mph steering wobble.

Yeah, I was the 200SXOC Chairman, Ive owned 9 or 10 and am fairly familiar with them .......... :lol:

The link for the car scorp has bought is now gone so I cant comment on it specifically but ............

Also ask is if the fuel pump has been replaced, it's by far the most common first failure on these cars, manifold/turbo gasket failure is second most common fault, check for replacement. Other things - standard exhaust manifold can crack at the joints, due to the weight of the turbo hanging off it. Rust can form around the front/rear windows were the plastic cover trim has been allowed to lift by perishing sealant, but is not often.

Errr ......... was it a while ago you had one? ;) The biggest issue these days is rust - every S14 in the UK will either have some rust on the sills or had the sills done, strut tops (front and back) and chassis rails are also favourites, check jacking points too as they are prone to collapse after a bit of red lovin. Arches and other bits go like other cars, weve been seeing some issues with inner wheel arches recently too.

Enginewise, VVT rattle seems to be affecting lots of cars, IIRC its about £200-300 to fix. Turbo gaskets go all the time and are cheap but a PITA to sort, turbos are usually good for 100K+ is not ragged to death, they are fairly cheap to replace too but its worth a check for smoking on idle or boost. Standard suspension is @*!# so youll want to change if you havent already and ARB's do wonders for body roll. Gearboxes are solid at standard power and clutches tend to last too.

Not difficult to take one to around 400hp but do lows and wheels first, standard Kouki or Zenki with right fitment look spot on:

5048823750_0fb9c8ee72_b.jpg

11440713435_f40f5341b1_b.jpg

And the SXOC is probably the best source of knowledge on the car globally, there is pretty much nothing that hasnt been done at some point. Enjoy! :)

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to find a late model S14a, with low mileage and only 3 previous owners who had taken very good care of it - and as soon as the tin worm made an appearance in my sills, I had the whole rear sill section replaced - so rust never really made much of an impact on my SX ownership; unlike the fuel pump failure that happened with a month of me getting the car !

The fuel pump is a cheap and easy replacement, that can ensure you can avoid being stuck in a single track country lane, in the middle of the night, waiting for a sour-arsed AA driver to turn up - like I did! Unless you're really negligent, rust isn't likely to do that :p

And in my defence - I did say about the sills & wheel arches rusting in the first paragraph of my post

:) Draco

Edited by Dracostan

Just bought myself a portamig 165 :lol: checked underneath and the underseal is painted ontop of rust so I plan to strip it all back to bare metal, drop the subframe and suspension arms for shot blasting and go from there.

Should have a service kit arriving for the weekend to start things off.

The weld repairs on the front of the suspension turrets look good but can't tell about the sills as too much black tar.

One thing I will say is wow, it feels light weight compared to the Z, and the potential is there (after the boat rocking issue is sorted)

I won't lower the car as it's my daily driver and plan to keep it sensible but tight. No rose joints, just new bushes or upgraded arms and a soft sprung coilover.

The standard exhaust and noise sounds like a diesel though lol, nothing special, quiet and chuggy.