Deteriorating Alluminium Engine Parts

Dicky

My 350's been standing outside for the last few months and I've noticed that the aluminium alloy plenum and other aluminium engine parts are starting to discolour with small white dusty deposits. They seem to rub off with a bit of effort but pretty sure they'll come back.

Anyone have the same problem and better yet found a solution to protect it ??

It's not just the plenum it's the ally parts at the front of the engine as well. Don't fancy painting/polishing them, was hoping once rubbed down they could be sprayed with some protective covering to maintain the ally look.

Was wondering about clear coat spray but worried it might discolour and peel off.

Do you know if you can get high temperature clear coat, similar to brake calliper paint?

The wax idea sound good but think it might not last long given the temps involved

It's fine trust me, used wax for a couple of years with no issues. Think of the wax on the exterior of the car on a blazing hot summers day. The wax creates a nice seal on the plenum, resists moisture, and withstands the temperatures. I never tested clear coat on a plenum, although tested the theory on a polished strutt bar. The clear coat flaked and came off eventually.

Polish the plenum, seal with 2 coats of carnauba wax. Wait 24hrs between wax applications. Each time you wash the car add one coat of wax. That's what kept my plenum oxidisation free.

• Like 1

Ok sounds like a plan, I'll go down the wax route first and see how it performs. It's going to be a bit of a buggar cleaning it off but hey ho IM RETIRED sonwhat else have I got to do!!

Thanks for all your input chaps!

For light oxidation I used to use a tube of metal polish, tried loads over a period of time, although some give a cloudy finish post polish. There was one (and I'm really not being helpful here) was amazing, great polish and no clouding, but cannot for the life of me remember which one it was.

Although, once you have a clean and polished plenum, you must use carnauba based wax. Forget anything other than carnauba!

• Like 1

For light oxidation I used to use a tube of metal polish, tried loads over a period of time, although some give a cloudy finish post polish. There was one (and I'm really not being helpful here) was amazing, great polish and no clouding, but cannot for the life of me remember which one it was.

Although, once you have a clean and polished plenum, you must use carnauba based wax. Forget anything other than carnauba!

"Autosol"?

81RU6PXEl%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

Is that Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax or the more expensive Boora Carnauba Wax Paste, or Simoniz, or Carnauba Gold ....(don't life get complicated)

Edited by Dicky