Low Oil Pressure

GraingeZed

Hey. I could do with a bit of advice guys. I've had my 53 plate Zed for 3 weeks now and have loved every minute of it but today after doing about a 100 mile trip with a friend I noticed the oil pressure gauge was quite low. When we were in traffic on the m25 going quite slow the needle was at about 15 psi and then once the traffic had cleared and I was sitting at about 70-75 mph the needle was about 30psi. Up until today every time I drove it it would sit about half way at 60 psi. Any advice on what to do next would be much appreciated! I'm thinking I should do a oil and filter change next week. What about changing the oil pressure sending unit as well? Also,after getting home and letting the car sit for a few hours,I checked the oil level and everything seems alright with that,if anything the oil was quite dark.

Like I say,any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,Simon.

Sounds fine, I had an issue with a leak where the pressure would drop over 3-4 months but as long as I filled it up all was well. Hopefully fixed it now! Keep an eye on the level otherwise sounds good.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for that,I had a quick read of the link you sent and noticed that it was referring to the later model and the 370z. Would it still be the same case with my DE early 350z?

Edited by GraingeZed

I thought 15 psi was normal for the DE when warmed up and ticking over ?

30-45 psi when pootling around

45-60 psi motorway speeds in 5th/6th

90psi when revving to about 5k+

If not, now im worried :)

Edited by Willsy1980

I thought 15 psi was normal for the DE when warmed up and ticking over ?

30-45 psi when pootling around

45-60 psi motorway speeds in 5th/6th

90psi when revving to about 5k+

If not, now im worried :)

Thats what mine usually does :)

• Like 2

The gallery gaskets tends to affect early 370's and 350 HR's. As above, keep and eye on levels. Out of interest, did it go back to how you're used to it being once cool, ie next day?

well ive not started the car up today as of yet. Once im back from work im going to check the oil level again and start her up and see what the pressure does.

When i checked it yesterday after a few hours the pressure was still pretty low.

The gallery gaskets tends to affect early 370's and 350 HR's. As above, keep and eye on levels. Out of interest, did it go back to how you're used to it being once cool, ie next day?

well ive not started the car up today as of yet. Once im back from work im going to check the oil level again and start her up and see what the pressure does.

When i checked it yesterday after a few hours the pressure was still pretty low.

For peace of mind and £60-70 may as well just do an oil change and filter, can't do any harm :)

• Like 1

That sounds LOW to me. My car's an 04 and and I'm pretty sure at low speeds the gauge reads about 30 while at higher speeds it reads around 60, I'll double check.

Be aware of the useless dip stick. I find I have to take several dips before I'm sure the oil level is ok. The dip stick seems to get smeared and it's difficult to tell on one reading. I'ts my belief that you could be fooled into believing your level is ok when it's in fact low!!

• Like 1

Id be inclined to agree with Dicky, when warm and pootling around town my guage indicates 30psi, and sat at 70mph in 6th (2500rpm) its around 50-55psi. On a hot idle it'll sit around the 20 mark.

It has been said though that the oil guage is more a paranoia guage, with often inaccurate readings. If you want peace of mind, take it to a garage and get them to plug a independent pressure guage directly for a true reading. This will tell you straight away whether you can relax or worry :)

Do be careful with the dipsticks, theyre a real pain in the ass to check. I check mine every single time before a long drive. But then Im an ex Honda owner so high consumption is something im acutely aware of

• Like 1

what he said^

Oil gauges cant be trusted really the sensors are flaky on most Nissans get it checked with a separate gauge if you are worried but Nissan state 14psi at hot idle

• Like 2

You could always take the sensor out and clean it with brake cleaner as in theory it could get gunked up, but id issue a strong word of warning. In the states it appears that this area of the block is a weak point, with people cracking the block when undoing or redoing it up. You could purchase a new sensor from Nissan which is circa £90, but it still might not answer your worries!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated! I checked my oil a whole load of times and got different readings. I ended up putting a fair bit of oil in and it seems alright now. The pressure seems good and the oil level seems good as well.

I've got a new sensor on order and once it arrives I'll be doing a service,at least then I'll know how much oil is in there.

Edited by GraingeZed