Novice Thinking of Lowering

Dicky

Got my daughter a 2010 370 a short while ago and she would like to lower it if poss. Don't know much about this so seeking info/advice before we make the decision.

What would be the max recommended amount to lower allowing for speed bumps and multi story car parks.

Is it just a matter of buying 4 coilovers (I believe they're called) and replacing the existing springs and dampers.

If so can anyone recommend suitable coilovers.

Would the car then need to have the coilovers professionally height adjusted.

Thanks in anticipation

Thanks Strudul definitely don't want to go to low, any idea how much they drop the car.

PS given the other springs available I'm going to have to do a bit more research.

According to Torqen, the drops are (Front / Rear in "):

Megan - 1.75 / 1.5

DNA - 1.75 / 1.5

Tein - 0.9 / 0.7

Eibach - 1.0 / 0.8

H&R - 1.3 / 1.0

Tanabe NF210 - 0.8 / 1.0

RS-R - 0.5 / 0.5

Tanabe GF210 - 0.8 / 1.0

Ark GT-F - 1.2 / 1.0

Swift - 1.3 / 1.0

Ark GT-S - 1.5 / 1.25

Sorted by price in ascending order from £164 to £324.

:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Strdul that's really useful info and a good starting point for me. Thanks for taking the time.

I'll probably be posting more questions and I'd value your input and that of other members

Ive just read that the cars ground clearance is just under 4.96" and speed bumps are between 3" to 4" so it would seem that any of the springs mentioned by Strudel would either bottom out or be right on the edge of it.

Starting to think that air/hydraulic ride height adjustment would be necessary if you wanted to fit lowering springs.

How do those who have fitted Tein's find life out in the streets ?

Check my list, the RS-Rs are only ~0.5" so will be a safe bet and leave you with half an inch to spare.

Teins are your next best option, should be fine everywhere, but you will be nearing the limit and have to be careful..

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Remember that, with coilovers you can adjust the height to your own desired drop. Also, with adjustable damping you can really tweak the settings.

Ride height is as simple as turning a big nut that's on the damper and damping is adjusted very easily too. Set your desired firmness.

Why does she want to lower it? For aesthetics? The Z is very low to begin with. What really made a visual impact for me was adding wheel spacers. The wheels then filled the arches much better and the car just looked more squat and purposeful.

25mm rear and 20mm front.

I'd personally go for coilovers, lower it a very small amount and set the dampers to be quite soft. Our roads are terrible and a jarring ride would really get tedious. Banging every time you go over rough, uneven and badly maintained roads. You end up constantly scanning the road surface and dodging even small holes in the road and speed bumps.

I'm going to fit them to my Z, along with thicker anti roll bars to eliminate body roll.

Just my 2p worth!

• Like 2

Thanks TT350....Yep she wants to lower it simply for the look. I have fitted 25mm spacers all round and it does make it look lower and chunky. But she's seen pics of lowered show cars with wide wheels etc and forgets the day to day practicality of such cars

My previous posts were in response to fitting only springs as suggested by others. I hadn't thought of just replacing springs as I've only ever heard of people fitting coil overs although I don't yet know what's involved in that. Is it just a matter of removing the oem springs and dampers and fitting a coil over unit that consists of a spring and damper combined (with a nut adjustment for desired hight I assume)

Coilovers are undoubtedly better, but you're going to be spending an absolute minimum of £600, probably closer to £1k, rather than £200 for a set of springs.

Considering it's purely for aesthetics, I personally couldn't justify that extra cost if I was in your position. If she will be doing lots of track time or hard driving, then that's a different matter.

However, if she wants to go super low while still being able to tackle even the biggest speedbumps, then air would be the best option - but that's even more expensive.

Think I agree Strudul £600+ isn't worth it to gain an extra inch and adding air would be daft. Just spoke to her ref this post and she's starting to see the impractability of all this.

If we go ahead it's going to be changing the springs idea if anything. She doesn't do track days or hard driving, it's all about the look!

Thanks for your input and that of the other members but I think we know which way to jump now.

I'd suggest starting with RS-R springs which have a very mild 0.5" drop, so won't affect the ride comfort much or limit the practicality of the car, but still remove a good chunk of the arch gap.

If she wants it to go lower, then add front / side splitters (or lips / a bodykit). This will make the car look even lower without having to compromise further on ride comfort.

I chose to go down the eibach route just due to their rep and having used them previously on my 350. It was only after fitting these that I had to put some h&r 20mm spacers on the front and back to pull the wheels back out of the arches. It does complete the look of the 370 in my opinion. Hope that helps ðŸ‘

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a quick reply as most had already been said.

Whatever you decide, you will need to get 4 wheel alignment done after installation. Just to get the wheels pointing in the right direction.

If you get springs that give a drop over around 25mm you will also need rear camber arms, possibly front too. But if you go Tein then just fitting them and getting the alignment done should be fine :)

Edited by mattross1313
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the Z doesn't need lowering. I feel that it has a good balance of handling and ride comfort.

I've had 3 cars to date that had aftermarket springs on. Only one of them had a matching spring and damper set. The other two, just lowered on springs. My God were those two horrible to drive on our roads.

The one with matching dampers was still firm but they really compensated for the the springs. No "BANG....BANG!" whenever I drove over so much as a wet paper bag. It really is a horrible sound and feeling when you just add lower and stiffer springs. Almost like you have house bricks for suspension.

With the matching set of dampers, there is a gradual feeling when you go over bumps. The dampers really do dampen!! Shock horror!

All that said, I don't know how the Z feels when it's lowered on springs only. Maybe the standard dampers can keep up. I'm sure someone on here will be able to confirm or dismiss my opinion on this matter.

I'm curious to know. Perhaps I may be persuaded to fit springs on mine, too. Like everyone says, much cheaper than coilovers. But only if ride quality isn't sacrificed.

Like someone else said, with the wheel spacers, side skirts or diffusers and a front lip, it'd look a lot lower then. Pair all that with 19" wheels and you're goal is achieved and with no sacrifice to ride quality and ground clearance. The lower profile tyres on 19s may make the ride a touch harder, though. But a bonus is better handling due to less flex in the tyres sidewall

I hope that whatever you go for, your daughter is very happy with it.

• Like 1

Although not apples for apples I have lowered my 350z with just springs. Used Teins

Very impressed with them, hardly notice a difference in handling or comfort. But a subtle drop for esthetics.

Have used eibachs on previous car and a high quality spring but does alter the harshness of the ride.

Imo. Go for the Teins. :teeth: