R34 GTR...any good?

gangzoom

Just been reading about how amazing the new R35 GTR is in EVO...promptly went on to pistonheads, just to have a quick loook and i've noticed the R34 GTR prices have really started to drop...it wouldn't surprise me if one could be had for £20-25K by the time the R35 officially lands in the UK!!

Any one know how the R35 compares to the R34, or how the R34 was first reviewed when it first appeared?? (I think i was still in sixth form at that point :blush: )

Not many things can tempt me out of my Z, but a R34 GTR for the price of a 350z... B)

• 2 weeks later...

IMO you cant really compare the R35 to the R34. The R34 Skyline was an evolution of the saloon based car whereas the R35 has been redesigned from the ground up as a coupe, hence dropping the Skyline tag.

If your looking to buy standard, i dont think you would be too enthralled. When standard, skylines are big and heavy and dont really come "alive" until 400ish+ hp. Boost is wound down on them all to meet the Japanese gentlemans agreement between the car makers but a few simple mods will see you close to 400hp. Anything over and above that and things get very expensive, very quickly!!

Running costs are high, repair and maintenance are also quite high. The usual "Skyline tax" is added onto pretty much everything.

It would be good to see a comparison of R32/R33/R34/R35 with similar power. Although the 35 would/should walk it, with the way the power is delivered and sustained, not to mention the gearbox, i think the classic 32 would be up there with it as its quite light and nimble compared to the rest.

Lots of information and more knowledgeable people than me over on www.gtr.co.uk

Hope this helps

Ben :thumbs: