Buying New Equipment

Stevie-Boy

Snow foam lance, pressure washer (C110 will do you just fine, maybe look into a 15 metre hose from Direct Hoses though, saves lugging to washer around the car!) BH Autofoam, a good was mitt with the 2 bucket method to wash followed by Auto Finesse Tripple and wax.

Maybe look into a decent tar remover and fallout remover later on, but there's little need for much more for now.

Okay I'm all ordered up. Got the Nilfisk unit and a hose pipe. Got the above stuff from Polished Bliss. Got a few extras in as needed a mitt and a decent bucket and towel etc.

Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to using it all!?

Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to using it all!?

Are you asking or telling? :lol:

Also, just to check, the hose pipe you've ordered comes with connectors / you've ordered connectors too?

Edited by Strudul

Damn that question mark!!

That's a good question and one I'm not sure about. Are we talking tap end here or washer end? I'm assuming the washer has hose attachment to fit itself?

Edited by Stevie-Boy

Got a link to what you ordered?

You will need a connector on each end of the hose and on your tap.

You will have connector like these on your outside tap and on the back of your pressure washer:

Gardena-Threaded-Tap-Connector_1.jpg

And will need these connectors on each end of the hose to connect to them

hozelock-snap-connector-2166-to-fit-spray-guns-sprinklers-garden-hose-pipe-etc-52167-p.jpg

Ah, ninja'd, yeh, that's got everything you need.

81KYVj107EL._SL1500_.jpg

Left goes on your tap. The pressure washer will have similar pre-installed.

The 2 middle connectors go on either end of your hose.

The right is an adjustable nozzle that you can clip into one of the middle connectors instead of your pressure washer.

Edited by Strudul

If you look on u-tube there are loads of clips on how to do it properly,some are really geaky. Forensic detailing channel has loads of product reviews. A bit boring at times but gets there eventually.

I never really think to look on YouTube, it would be quite easy to get bogged down in a lot of detail at once. I like to give it a try and then I've got some questions to seek more information on.

I did end up buying the snow foam lance and snow foam at 1.30am this morning. I'm looking forward to getting more products and testing different ones out and learning more about what they all do :)

I can imagine!! I already spent £250 just on the stuff in this thread. Saying that, it was big one time items like the washer and the foam lance.

Could fancy trying the Desire wax. I don't deserve it yet, once I get more into it I'd be very tempted just for sheer curiosity!!

I'm up to page 16 in that thread, it's like my current book.

Just spent another bunch of money on products I didn't have like glass cleaner, trim cleaner, more pads and towels, drying towel etc.

This hobby is not going to be good for someone like me who absolutely loves doing a buy.

I can see how this would never end!! You could buy one of every product type but then it just gets into different brands and products and then into machine polishing and the world of cutting compounds and into paint correction and all that!!

The advice I've always heeded with pressure washers was - most commercial washers don't have high enough pressure to do any serious damage. In any case always use at a shallow angle to the panel, never straight on, to prevent potential 'blow-in' of any dirt/particles.

I have a Karcher K2 Compact (https://www.kaercher...t-16731220.html) and have never had any issues of damage, even with the notoriously thin paint of the NIssans - I also have the foam lance attachment for pseudo snow-foaming!

Snow foam is a good thing for getting a start on sticky residues, like tree sap, bird poo and brake dust on wheels, but is no replacement for a good car shampoo and the required elbow grease of the two bucket method (& a stiff wheel brush). Claying will lift any remaining sticky, then a final rinse and chamois dry.

Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ban:

The advice I've always heeded with pressure washers was - most commercial washers don't have high enough pressure to do any serious damage. In any case always use at a shallow angle to the panel, never straight on, to prevent potential 'blow-in' of any dirt/particles.

I have a Karcher K2 Compact (https://www.kaercher...t-16731220.html) and have never had any issues of damage, even with the notoriously thin paint of the NIssans - I also have the foam lance attachment for pseudo snow-foaming!

Snow foam is a good thing for getting a start on sticky residues, like tree sap, bird poo and brake dust on wheels, but is no replacement for a good car shampoo and the required elbow grease of the two bucket method (& a stiff wheel brush). Claying will lift any remaining sticky, then a final rinse and chamois dry.

Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois,Chamois!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ban:

Almost as bad as a waterblade!! A good drying towel goes a long way ;).

One of the best little steps I ever did was ditching the chamois. It was awful at drying, even an expensive one. Switching to a towel for drying was a bit of a 'lights on' moment.

I'm just about to do my friend's car today and I'm quite excited about it. It's a Fiat 500 and it's filthy.

Nowt wrong with a chamois, if you've cleaned the car properly!

Though I do have to say I have switched to microfibre towels, as I now wet wax with AutoGlym Aqua Wax. I know it's a bit of a shortcut and certainly doesn't last as long as a proper waxing, but it knocks a good hour off my cleaning time, I can do it as part of drying the car - which I would do anyway - and it's enough for what I want.

I think you make an excellent point about the work you're doing being enough for what you want. We can all acknowledge that we could spend a week on the car and spend hundreds on products but there has to be a level of reality in it all.

I spent six hours on my friend's car this weekend and would happily put the pics and comments up if anyone wants to see. It's a Fiat but I got to use all my new products though.,,,

Stevie.....are you a subscriber to ...

www.detailingworld.co.uk

lots of guidance, lots of advise, and lots of stuff to spend cash on!!

its a slippery slope...almost a bad as Zeditus!!