modification help!

GeorgeW

Trying to insure my 350z, without mods I get quotes of 300-400 pound, add a body kit, spoiler and exhaust and it goes to 1k - is this normal?! I don't understand where this extra £600 is coming from?

Is there a particular insurer who is good or mods?

I am with Sky at the moment (finishing from having a BMW) and they want £890 for it, so won't be renewing with them..

Yep it doesnt really make any sense that those cheaper than oem parts would make it more to insure and as we all know an exhaust doesnt make it faster.

Quite a few on here though have managed to find sensible insurance companies who arent loading

policies willy nilly, have a search through.

Try admiral they were £5-£10 extra for each mod for me. Do online quote then phone up with your reference number then go over it with them.

lol I'm with admiral and I'm trying to leave since they're charging ridiculous prices. They quoted me £200 increase for an air filter and a back box.

Edited by Jake.Lowther

Try admiral they were £5-£10 extra for each mod for me. Do online quote then phone up with your reference number then go over it with them.

lol I'm with admiral and I'm trying to leave since they're charging ridiculous prices. They quoted me £200 increase for an air filter and a back box.

That's crazy. I've been with them for 3-4 years each year with all mods declared under £400

I'd say to give Adrian Flux a ring George as they were the cheapest I could find when I had my modified (supercharged) 350Z. They are a brokers so it may be different now and last time I tried them they were too expensive for my current car but I'd say give them a ring to find out. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/189-adrian-flux/

Admiral are entirely pointless for a modified car, they will only return to standard and will not replace any modifications at all. They will however charge you for the privilege of not doing so though, which is nice of them.

I'd say to give Adrian Flux a ring George as they were the cheapest I could find when I had my modified (supercharged) 350Z. They are a brokers so it may be different now and last time I tried them they were too expensive for my current car but I'd say give them a ring to find out. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...89-adrian-flux/

Yes,quite a few of us have moved to Adrian Flux for modified cars and their prices are quite good compared to the market offers

Ok great, I think I will ring Adrian flux tomorrow and see how i get on. I expected to get it cheaper this time seeing as I had a skyline and didn't die during owning it, so it should count for something!

The increase in insurance is due to the perceived increased risk. And also because its a niche market.

But what increased risk? I've owned a modified 350z before, as well as other fast cars. The only thing that has changed since my last one is I have more experience and more NCB, which should make it come down not go up!

• Like 1

But what increased risk? I've owned a modified 350z before, as well as other fast cars. The only thing that has changed since my last one is I have more experience and more NCB, which should make it come down not go up!

In the eyes of insurers, mods equal higher risk of claims due to:

- theft

- crashes

- damage

The increase in insurance is due to the perceived increased risk. And also because its a niche market.

The only thing that has changed since my last one is I have more experience and more NCB, which should make it come down not go up!

And sadly in that time many more have been stolen, crashed etc. Prices dropping on these have seen alot younger people buying them and sticking them through hedges! Id say im of the opinion the majority of people on here have seen a rise, know I did. First year was easy however the second year I struggled!

• Like 1

I totally agree, in fact I had a wee rant here about insurance a few weeks ago lol.

There is a lot going on in the insurance market at the moment and prices on the whole are increasing across all cars - increase in taxation and spurious claims are significantly on the rise at the moment. There is a lot in the news about this:

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/cost-of-motoring/what-the-price-index-means-for-you

3F24928400000578-0-image-a-10_1491868717225.jpg

So the idea that your premium just drops automatically each year you drive safely is something of a bygone experience of days past in many cases. You will get the odd thing pop up now and again when companies change algorithms (they do not assess each house/owner/car it has to be based on macro factors I would think such as generalised postcodes/theft levels in post codes and the like) - I know when I moved from a narrow through road next to a busy pub where our Ford Focus lost 3 wing mirrors whilst parked up and my Celica got keyed twice to a cul-de-sac 100 metres away which had a wider road, no through traffic, no drunk muppets staggering past our cars at midnight with car envy my premium went up £100. Makes no sense but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Admiral are entirely pointless for a modified car, they will only return to standard and will not replace any modifications at all. They will however charge you for the privilege of not doing so though, which is nice of them.

I Have to go with them to be honest as i can't afford to pay an extra + £600 a year on insurance rather go cheaper and get a payout on standard than nothing. The amount i have saved over the years covers the cost of replacement parts.

I thought a year or 2 back the government changed the rules so men and women had to be charged the same. The table above paints a different picture.

They did. The difference will be due to other factors that increase premiums.

For example, more men choose sporty cars or modify them, leading to higher premiums than women.

Don't know the stats, but if men tend to have more points on their license / less years NCB, that could be another factor.

Edited by Strudul

Increasing costs are just a viscious circle though, the higher the costs are, the more people wont be able or want to pay, so more end up on the road uninsured and you are back to square one, increasing costs to cover the unisured.

Also it seems two fold, people are petrified of claiming because of increased costs the following year, at fault or not.

There is a thread running on the vx forum of a guy involved in an incident, he had a dash cam which shows the other party at fault, the third party statement is a complete pack of lies about the sequence of events, yet his insurers wont fight it as the other party wont admit blame, even though they have footage and the third party statement of events is false.

I really think its about time we have state funded 3rd party cover and if you want to increase your cover to fully comp, fire and theft etc you follow the usual channels.