Get your eyes out the lens.... be a kid again..a proper one.

AMT

http://www.carbuzz.c...usiast-7739201/

Some good little pointers on that link, but one part about the excitment of cars I agree on most certainly. I went to Tartan Tarmacs event this morning and it was busy as hell, great turnout from classics to sports to supercars. Now I don't mind taking a few photos but I like to soak it in, do another round of 'laps' and pour over the cars.

One thing I've noticed is the amount of kids (wearing skinny jeans... that trend needs to end somewhere lol) with high end photography kits and camera and there bounding about just.... taking pictures and swiftly moving on to the next not even giving the cars a second glance. I'm sorry but isn't the point of an event to see stuff you would never see, savor the moment.

I'm 31 christ and I still love peering in gaps, vents, windows, looking all around and at the general design of stuff, getting close up to the stuff that gives the wow factor. These kids I was seeing were just snapping away and when people were trying to look at the cars (good on them), I could seem some feeling a bit pushed out the way as these other folk were standing trying to get the 'shot'.

Tip: Don't be one of these knobs standing in front of cars and generally looking through a lens all day. You see those vids on youtube of London or Monaco... genuinely what a terrible place to live. I love cars, I love the design, shape,proportions but even I would hate it, groups of people just stopping traffic and also causing a bit of a pain to other drivers...its still a road! Maybe too many people trying to be youtube stars or something but tbh wouldn't you just prefer to be that little kid you were years ago and still be amazed by stuff you see, I know I do.

Thoughts on this kind of thing?

Edited by AMT
  • Like 2

Never noticed it around these parts, especially with high end photo equipment.

Its mostly kids taking selfies with their phones and old guys like myself with the big cameras.

I agree, its refreshing just to savour the atmosphere and mooch about, without having a camera stuck to your face all day.

Me and my brother share a lot about cars via WhatsApp, Il admit when I was in London a few weeks ago I did snap a few photographs on my phone to sent/ share with him.

I was at a supercar event where the public could do a few laps of a runway in a supercar and my brother wanted to have a go in a lamborghini aventador so I took him there in the zed.

The wait was two hours before he could have a go so we were sat in my car eating an ice cream and this kid comes over and peers through the window, he asks what kind of car it was and asked if I'd rev it so I did.

He asks if he can take some pics and I say yes and get out the car so I'm not in his way. He took about 80, literally. Of non concerning items such as the rear wiper! All while his mum stood and watched. He must've been about 18?

I was going to offer for me to take his pic inside the car but I was getting a bit cold standing around and wanted to get back inside. Quite funny that day.

Oi! Wheres mine :lol: haha I had parked up next to a DE all blacked up, looks as if it was used for driftin' as it was stripped out, might explain the splash and dash paint job it had lol Some really nice stuff at it indeed, I didn't realise how small the wheels are on the Ford GT (not the width obviously).

Never understood it either. I don't get why people spend a fortune on tickets to live events (specially ones being covered on TV) to then spend the whole time watching it from behind a lens! Why not enjoy the moment live and record the highlights on TV for when you get home?

Oi! Wheres mine :lol: haha I had parked up next to a DE all blacked up, looks as if it was used for driftin' as it was stripped out, might explain the splash and dash paint job it had lol Some really nice stuff at it indeed, I didn't realise how small the wheels are on the Ford GT (not the width obviously).

:blush: Yeah I have been meaning to sort the paint job and wrap now that japfest is by.

Took the photo's then as I was heading to leave I seen a FRIWEND!!! Your's was showing off how good the Z's original lines are next to my frankenstein monster lol.

Edited by evilscorp

I've always found I enjoy a show much more if I keep my lens in my pocket. But then I get home and have to rely on memory for all the lovely cars I had seen that day. Pictures and more so videos allow me to snap the moment and enjoy the cars​ after the show.

If I pulled up at local fuel station and saw an LFA I'd reach for my phone straight away to capture the moment. Not to post for views, but to view and share locally amount friends.

I think YouTube vloggers can be incredibly creative which above cars is their passion ie photography. I lovely photography and can appreciate most genres cars, bikes, birds, planes, weddings, landscape, space.

For me the difference is car guys taking pictures, verses folks that don't know the difference nor care between a spark plug and a glow plug and mainly shoot for likes, but then car guys can genuinely appreciate the content so go figure.

My son is the spotty youth taking photo's and video's at car meets / events with the high end equipment.

However, this is equipment bought by him and upgraded continuously since he was about 12, just turned 15, not funded by the bank of Mum and Dad.

His passion is photography and video as well as video editing. He will spend endless hours editing and obviously needs a lot of material just to get a short film.

He would like a career in film / editing but obviously there is a lot of competition. As the professionals have told him, practice, practice, practice.

I am sure that he would get a buzz out of a lot of Youtube hits but in his case, and possibly the case of many others, this is not the sole goal.

Lets not knock these youngsters. Instead of perfecting their photography / editing skills in an evening they could be out causing trouble.

Not trying to be a complete dick, but taking pictures at car meets is generally a terrible way to improve photography skills.

Good on him for being dedicated and passionate, but it's like playing a lot of Forza because I want to be a racing driver. You can't set up truly good shots because the composition, setup and lighting will all be awful.

That being said, the car meet itself provides an excellent opportunity for networking and the chance to approach people to ask if they would be interested in a custom, personalised photo shoot. Offer it for free to begin with if necessary to build a reputation and experience, then increase the price accordingly.

As for editing, it's undeniably a good skill to have, but part of the skill of photography is being able to take amazing photos without the need for extensive editing.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Cannot see the problem of practicing photography in all different situations myself personally. So what if the car meet environment isn't ideal, a lot of the time opportunities are not ideal so you have to learn to take the best shot you can given that - and where else are you going to get the chance to photograph tonnes of cars in one hit. Its slightly annoying that people wander around talking into their phone doing a 'Vlog' but to be honest I would rather they are spending their time learning the art of taking a great shot than hanging around on street corners considering which granny to mug next.

Nothing wrong with it per se. It's purely a case of there being much better ways to go about it that will allow for faster development of skill. Why purposefully gimp yourself when better opportunities are readily available?

Car meet environments are unsuitable, you can't control anything and you can't practise techniques. The type of photos you get will be admired for the cars in them, not for the level of photography.

Oohh a slight diversion haha... my comments are meant for people who like cars (or say they do..). If your into photography, as are some of my friends, I could think of better things to shoot, but again nothing wrong with it. If your there to see cars though, take some snaps then put it away enjoy the cars.

and..

Yeah I have been meaning to sort the paint job and wrap now that japfest is by.

Took the photo's then as I was heading to leave I seen a FRIWEND!!! Your's was showing off how good the Z's original lines are next to my frankenstein monster lol.

....I didn't realise this was yours?! Hella' different from the last time I saw it (aka in your picture!) :blush: :blush: I feel bad now haha its fine if you'd seen mines is full of dings and wee scratches (from other people! :angry: ) and then a major bumped scratch/**** up at the rear (my own fault not paying attention :blush: ). Its plastic so I haven't bothered to fix it as of yet and its on the line before it curves under so...still looks ok when washed lol :lol:

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

^That's not a load of cars crammed into a supermarket car park with people wandering round though :bleh:

There's a point where it stops being a picture of a car and starts just being art...

fairlady.jpg

e01ab848c63c8e0858fa19235b2c426c.jpg

nissan-350z-z33.jpg

8408761f39c1f26932c9dbb11079065a.jpg

c84c98a68a1206aefaf613dceb4d97f9.jpg

nissan-350z-2.jpg

nissan_350z_3_by_hella_sick.jpg

Nissan-350Z-on-Sevas.jpg

modp-1211-03%2B2004-2003-nissan-350z%2Bside-view.jpg

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 3

^That's not a load of cars crammed into a supermarket car park with people wandering round though :bleh:

There's a point where it stops being a picture of a car and starts just being art...

A supermarket car park isnt a car show venue.........

Vlog's is like fashion or style, one style isnt better than another it just appeals to different folk.

A supermarket car park isnt a car show venue.........

Vlog's is like fashion or style, one style isnt better than another it just appeals to different folk.

A lot of meets / shows are in car parks / fields :shrug:

You're right, art's appeal can't be judged and people have their own preferences, but you can still judge the skill involved.

This painting is worth $87 million and I could paint it with my arse:

Orange%2C_Red%2C_Yellow.jpg

This drawing (yes, it's a drawing, not a photo) is worth ~£5k and I couldn't even come close to matching it.

article-2115297-122DDD12000005DC-38_470x713.jpg

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 3

Yes but not 'car shows' in supermarket car parks as far as ive seen :wacko:

And what defines a "car show"? AFAIC, the terms "car show" and "car meet" are interchangeable. Regardless, I've seen both terms used for events in car parks and fields.

Edited by Strudul