Home project - Raspberry Pi3 into Playstation1

Stu, just realised I forgot the parts list for you. A quick brain dump below. I'll update this with links over the weekend hopefully for any of the important items. I'll list out the mandatory items first to get gaming, then the second list are the other bits I purchased to tuck it all in nicely to the PS.

• Raspberry Pi 3. A Pi2 will also be fine, just a little slower, and doesnt have onboard Wifi
  • Suitable Pi Power Supply. 5V 2.5Amps is preferred
  • Micro SD Card, 4GB or above. Class 10
  • HDMI Cable
  • USB Gaming controller
  • Appropriate SD Image to run emulators

Then for the extra bits I used in my build:

• Something to put the Pi in (Playstation in my case)
  • Micro USB extension cable for power (micro female -> micro male)
  • HDMI extension cable (full size female -> full size male)
  • Micro SD to SD extension cable (white ribbon cable)
  • 2 x USB extension cables (full size USB female -> full size USB male)
  • ATX-Raspi power circuit from US
  • 2 x Resistors for ATX-Raspi. (1K and 10K)
  • Switches or LEDs for ATX-Raspi if not already fitted to 'case'
  • PS Controller to USB Adapter (use the one in a blue plastic case)

Tools wise, I completed this build with minimal tools: screwdriver, soldering iron, dremmel cutting disk. hot glue and some electrical tape.

I did also plash out and purchase a soldering helper, the thing with a magnifying glass and two crocodile clips to hold wires whilst you solder them. SUPER useful!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Matt, you've inspired me. :thumbs:

Ordered a Pi3 today, my 1st gen pi is too slow for any fun, it's just been chugging along running XBMC. However, I flattended it and have put it to use today by getting familiar with command line. Also as you mentioned it, attempting to SSH in from my MacBook. This worked brilliantly as I can get shot of the clunky old keyboard and mouse getting in the way. Played with tightvncserver too, so I can go headless on the Pi. The only downside is I can't press # on my mac keyboard, despite a dozen attempts at configuring Raspbian :wacko:

Gonna have a play with RetroPie tomorrow and see what that throws up :)

• 4 months later...
On 17/06/2017 at 00:05, SuperStu said:

The only downside is I can't press # on my mac keyboard,

Late to the game here, but 100% agree with this. I thought my keyboard was broken for the evening! I've now 'borrowed' a Win-blows keyboard from work to help with Pi activities :D

How's your build going Stu?

31 minutes ago, mattross1313 said:

Late to the game here, but 100% agree with this. I thought my keyboard was broken for the evening! I've now 'borrowed' a Win-blows keyboard from work to help with Pi activities :D

How's your build going Stu?

The thing is, after I installed retropie and the games I spent a lot of time just playing them that I should’ve spent building. :lol: Who can resist those classics??!?

Thanks for the reminder to crack on. :thumbs:

• 9 months later...

Thread revival....But I dug this out of the man cave recently and been having a play on Gran Turismo. We got married in June and since around Jan my man-cave has been FULL of wedding related decorations. I haven't seen the XBOX or anything all year. That's soon to change.

I'm also looking into the next project which will likely be a refresh of a old Sega Game Gear, with some tweaks. May or may not sell the PiStation build to fund the habit, will see.

How did you get on @SuperStu ? Or are you still getting side tracked just playing the games :lol: 

Edited by mattross1313

• 1 year later...

Just read this thread thinking "alright for some, having time to play games", as it reminded me of how much I used to love gaming and since I got married all that was forced on hold and ive not hardly played any since......

.... and then I get to the end and find out since your married your selling it now. :lol:

Glad its not just me! :thumbs:

1 hour ago, mattross1313 said:

Looking for around £60 to cover the parts. But I don't think we're too far from each other, so could work something to save on postage? :)

So tempted with this, but I do have a Atari 7800, Master System, Megadrive, PS2, Wii and Xbox one at home and don’t play them. Does your Pi have the neo geo emulator? 

On 28/09/2019 at 10:39, W8BGS said:

So tempted with this, but I do have a Atari 7800, Master System, Megadrive, PS2, Wii and Xbox one at home and don’t play them. Does your Pi have the neo geo emulator? 

It's the owning that's it's important, can't remember the last time I used my Xbox for something other than Netflix :lol: 

Ive not seen neo Geo on the list, but the OS only displays options based on the Roms you  have installed (don't think I have any). from some quick Googling , retropie does appear to support neo geo

On 29/09/2019 at 19:05, mattross1313 said:

It's the owning that's it's important, can't remember the last time I used my Xbox for something other than Netflix :lol: 

Ive not seen neo Geo on the list, but the OS only displays options based on the Roms you  have installed (don't think I have any). from some quick Googling , retropie does appear to support neo geo

As much as I think it is so cool

I am going to have to pass sadly. Good luck with the sale mate

• Like 1