spare key

Gabor

Hi guys,

My recently bought 350Z unfortunately came with only one key (5+ previous owners...)

Nissan quoted me 250 quid, which is crazy in my opinion.

Anyone knows a better solution?

Alternatively, buy a 2nd hand key from a breaker (£20 ish), buy a new key blade (£3), get a local guy to cut the blade and copy the immobilizer chip (around £100 maybe) and finally program the lock/unlock on your zed yourself (free).

Hope all goes well mate. Jon@Emporor a trader here sells parts from breaking 350z. He's closing soon but he might have them keys, i got mine from him last year. As for blade, you can get them from Ebay. Easily swapped into the 2nd keys with a tiny screwdriver. Then you'll just need a local automotive locksmiths to cut and copy the immobilizer. Finally, to program the lock/unlock, follow this guide --> http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/15223-re-programming-the-key-fobs/ (go to post number #10 and follow the flow chart. my indicator did not blink, but i can hear the relay clicking in the background)

You can buy a used Micra key for about £10, get a new blade cut and reprogram it yourself (as long as yours is a UK car).

Currently looking for a link that I know will help..... :thumbs:

EDIT: Found it: http://www.350z-uk.c...page__hl__micra

You'll still need someone to copy the immobiliser info from your original key and transfer to the new spare key's chip. Without this, I don't think you can start your car. The reprogram is only for lock/unlock. Unless our zed can reprogram the chip inside the new key whilst performing the procedure with the key inserted in the ignition barrel??

I could be wrong but that's what my locksmiths said to me. "Without copying the immobiliser info to new key, i can only lock/unlock (remote) and insert key into ignition barrel to turn to ON, but car won't start"

Hopefully he did not con me :scare:

Sorry Veegee, I think he/you may have been misinformed. As long as the Micra key contains the transponder/immobiliser chip, the reprogram procedure works and the key functions fully. I know the person I was originally enquiring for did this successfully and I'm sure it's been done since.

The guide linked to in the thread (and now conveniently placed above) reprograms the key including chip.

• Like 1

Sorry Veegee, I think he/you may have been misinformed. As long as the Micra key contains the transponder/immobiliser chip, the reprogram procedure works and the key functions fully. I know the person I was originally enquiring for did this successfully and I'm sure it's been done since.

The guide linked to in the thread (and now conveniently placed above) reprograms the key including chip.

Good to know Ian and this will save loads of ££ :thumbs: Assuming the new key needs to be in the barrel when performing this? This is definitely good info =)

There you go OP, the forum has just saved you another £100.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by veeg33

Wow guys, thanks for this, to be honest it sounds too good to be true :) but I'll definitely give it a try.

I already bought a 2nd hand OEM Micra key on ebay, we'll see :)

Edited by Gabor

I'm dubious I have a spare with my car which has never worked, a new battery, and stepping through the registration meant that the car opens fine but it wont start. Be curious to see 100% if this works as then my key is knackered and should be an easy swap as it's already cut!

• Like 1

Yeh, I don't think this is going to work either, you won't be able to start the car. But hey, I can't wait to find out for sure one way or the other. :)

By the way, I was quoted a lot less than that for a new main key by Nissan here in Greece, they wanted about 130e (110 quid)