Another 'D2 THROTTLE CONTROLLER' review

Jords

Just wanted to post something about the new d1 gt spec throttle controller that I bought from tarmac sports but only recently decided to fit.

Wow, I didnt think it would make the difference that it did. It makes the car feel so much livelier and more responsive. It has a lot of different settings so I quickly found what works for me. The throttle felt a little lazy without it.

Fitment is so easy. Took maybe 5-10 minutes and then set it up just as quickly once it was wired in.

In short its worth the money, get one!!

Edited by Jords
  • Like 1

I thought the same mate, believe me. I was gearing up to sell the car and thought 'I always wanted to try one so its now or never'... so I did. It's worth every penny I promise!!!

If the car ends up selling without it I will give you it to prove my point! Haha

• Like 1

:lol:

Out of curiosity, do you have a g-force meter on your phone? (Surely there must be an app that will record max G.)

Would be interesting to see some comparison tests with it off and at max (spd 9?).

- Cruise at say 20mph

- Bury the throttle pedal as fast as you can

- Note max G

- Repeat and compare

Would prove how much of it is placebo and mental unawareness on the initial jerk.

I fitted mine recently and there's no placebo effect, you can feel the obvious difference when you change modes from EC to norm to SP whilst keeping the throttle steady.. its a great bit of kit that's easy to install and makes accelaration more fun

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I fitted mine recently and there's no placebo effect, you can feel the obvious difference when you change modes from EC to norm to SP whilst keeping the throttle steady.. its a great bit of kit that's easy to install and makes accelaration more fun

Placebo effect of increased acceleration and throttle response.

There's a significant difference in throttle sensitivity, no doubt about that.

That won't work, the throttle controller appears to have magical properties that cannot be detected by such instruments.

Buy one, fit it, use it and say thank you.

You mean like how my stubby's +50bhp isn't registered on a dyno? :lol:

Fitted mine this weekend,easier to fit than I expected and I have to say I'm very happy with the results.........sports modes make the car a lot livelier and no delay on the response of the pedal.......great bit of kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fitted one, and to be honest for the money wasn't really worth it. From what I could see it did exactly the same thing as just putting your foot into the floor on the go pedal, it just tells the sensor to push the engine revs up higher compared to where you have put your foot down on the pedal. Clearly there is no performance enhancement, actually I found I had to leave it at a lower mode in and around town to prevent revving the nuts off the car and leaping off the line right up to 22mph before hitting traffic ;)

Took mine off in the end when I had uprev done - but yes can relate to the comments above about it feeling like you are revving an F1 car or something, drive it for a bit though and it did become quite tiresome!

• Like 1

From what I could see it did exactly the same thing as just putting your foot into the floor on the go pedal, it just tells the sensor to push the engine revs up higher compared to where you have put your foot down on the pedal.

Thats exactly what it does.

Just buy a pair of vintage steel toe cap boots and you'd have the same effect.and maybe try bare foot for eco mode :lol:

• Like 1

It's only 90quid or so, even less if you pick one up second hand. In terms of performance it adds zero bhp and zero torque, but it does make the throttle more sensitive.

Call it the illusion of more power, either way you can feel the difference and it makes the car feel a little lighter on its feet. For me that's worth it all day long.

Everyone's different so not everyone's going to agree on them I guess.

On that note I'm going to order one of them performance chips off ebay that give 40% more power!! Only £29.99!!!!!

• Like 1

You could go really old school vauxhall and splice a 2p resistor bypassing the maf sensor tricking it into thinking the air is really cold and dense lol (I had one of these on my K reg corsa SRi)

Is it true that they get rid of the restricted throttle in 1st and 2nd gear?

Im not sure, but I read about that and that lead me to the throttle controller. I'm not 100percent sure if the controller overrides the restriction in the lower gears or if it can only be done by a remap.

You could go really old school vauxhall and splice a 2p resistor bypassing the maf sensor tricking it into thinking the air is really cold and dense lol (I had one of these on my K reg corsa SRi)

Well yeah It was either something like that, or I was going to get one of those electric superchargers that you wire up and plumb in behind the air filter. They too are only £29.99, but I thought that it may be more power than the motor can handle??

• Like 1

It doesn't.

All it can do is attenuate the throttle input into the ECU (i.e press the pedal half way down and it will register all fully depressed), whereas the restrictions happen within the ECU and can't be adjusted without modifying the software (remap).

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Im not sure, but I read about that and that lead me to the throttle controller. I'm not 100percent sure if the controller overrides the restriction in the lower gears or if it can only be done by a remap.

I am pretty sure all the throttle controller does is exactly as in the title, increase the signal that the throttle is pushed down more than it actually is giving the feeling of 'response' - which is the same as just stamping on the throttle pedal. The restriction is built into the ECU which the controller cannot over-ride?

In short its only a cheap piece of kit. And as said before some cars have a sports button from factory that does the same thing.

I like gadgets and extra buttons, the more the better.

On a plus note it has several economy settings that make the throttle ridiculously lazy. A big benefit for the de engines if it's going for a service etc.. And you don't want the lads driving it too harshly. The later models can have a switchable map but that will be fine for me and a little piece of mind if you hide the controller from sight.