MOT with de cat -

Brandon350Z

Hi guys,

I am looking for a new friendly MOT guy in and around Basingstoke due to the de cat. My previous one has retired and no longer in the motor trade.

Unfortunately its not possible to just pop the cats back in due to it being a custom fabricated Y pipe going into the headers.

I understand a DM is probably a more appropriate way to communicate so feel free to pop me a message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Brandon.

Admins - please feel free to move this to a more appropriate section as I wasn't sure where to post it.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bear in mind that passing emissions is just one stage of MOT cat testing now, the other part is that you must physically have one if the car came with one from the factory.

Not necessarily the question asked, I know, but reasoning as to why many friendly places won't risk it any more as it's too simple to get caught out.

Yeah that's true Dan, in my case, I have two physical Cats, only one has anything inside it though due to the insides of the other one deciding it would rather be free of those hot and dusty conditions and lodging itself in the rear section of the exhaust!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah they look like cats, we had one through with them on, and it just would not go through emissions. He also had no cooling fans so couldn't even run it up hot to try and help. In the end he fitted a standard system and we got it through that way. Then put his old one back on.

I had test pipes.....big fail on emissions!!

I simply couldn't find an mot guy who was willing to risk his licence to pass me so, I put sports cats on.

I went for some eBay specials sports cats, and these just scraped a pass.

I had test pipes.....big fail on emissions!!

I simply couldn't find an mot guy who was willing to risk his licence to pass me so, I put sports cats on.

I went for some eBay specials sports cats, and these just scraped a pass.

To be fair unless you know someone personally or a friend of a friend then most won't. You could be anyone coming along to get it and possibly goto the authorities.

• Like 1

The simple answer is ...yes change about your exhaust... but no... don't de-cat things lol Its a no brainer. Not helpful I know but if you someone said to me you can do 'x' to your car but the result is a possible MOT fail or each year you'll need to swap stuff about, I'd be like...nah I don't need that. :lol::shrug:

I see people doing this and see the same problems and feel the need to moan about it haha. sorry :blush:

Edited by AMT

And now the DVSA don't train testers, it is out sourced. They are purely there to catch garages breaking the rules to generate income in fines...er I mean to help garages maintain a fair and legal service :lol:. It used to be that you'd see one every 2-3 years, but if you live in an area where 3 garages near you are and amber risk and you're a green, while they're watching your neighbours, they'll be watching you too.

One way around it is to pay the tester the labour to swap the cats for the mot and swap em back after. He's covered and you get the mot. Of course you can still be done for having them on now, but that was always the risk.

And now the DVSA don't train testers, it is out sourced. They are purely there to catch garages breaking the rules to generate income in fines...er I mean to help garages maintain a fair and legal service

That's quite interesting, over here in NI we have dedicated MOT test centres which are ran by the government which I suppose helps cut out this sort of thing

I'd just say, if you're shouting about having a friendly MOT, for the sake of the guy who stuck his neck out for you, make sure there isn't a picture of your plate on here. Issuing a fine of (up to) £5,000 is worth having a google of car forums every now and again. I know of someone being caught out on a facebook group asking to rent an engine for his classic vehicle inspection.

• Like 1

The simple answer is ...yes change about your exhaust... but no... don't de-cat things lol Its a no brainer. Not helpful I know but if you someone said to me you can do 'x' to your car but the result is a possible MOT fail or each year you'll need to swap stuff about, I'd be like...nah I don't need that. :lol::shrug:

I see people doing this and see the same problems and feel the need to moan about it haha. sorry :blush:

But your also someone who likes to keep things stock lol. Cats are the devil and should be removed at all costs! You just need a friendly tester or talk to the right people

• Like 1