Change my own oil - Run in service - Will it void warranty?

Mikevv

Hi guys, I took my car to Nissan the other day and asked if their service pack covers the run in service. The guy looked at me like " WTF is a run in service" so I had to explain. Not a good start.

Needless to say, their 3 services for £345 doesn't cover it and I will have to pay for it myself.

Now I don't see why I should pay Nissan around £300 for one oil change that is just for peace of mind, I wanted to do it myself - They charge £17 a litre for oil!

Will it void my warranty if I do this myself? How can they tell, apart from if I use a non Nissan oil filter?

I think I know the answer, but then again I would've thought a service department would know what a run in service is...

Depends if the warranty requires a stamp for the run in service. If it does, you can take it to any vat registered garage that uses OEM spec parts and your warranty is all good. Is there a dedicated stamp space for run in service?

• Like 1

Does the car need a run-in oil change? My guessing is it doesn't, not like it's an M or Ferrari engine (actually I don't think even Ferrari do that anymore these days), so don't worry about it. I certainly wouldn't bother.

You've answered your own question though: If you use their parts, how would they ever know? This is why I was quite happy to do my own changes on the 911 when it was under warranty.

Let's not forget that EU-type approval applies on brand new cars, so you could actually use any other similar-quality oil or filter and you would not affect the warranty in the slightest.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that a stamp in the book was vital, but could be from any VAT registered garage. Or is that just what my halfords training has told me :lol:

In fact it requires a Halfords stamp to maintain warranty :lol:

Edited by Jay84

Nissan say it doesn't need a run in, first oil change is at 10k miles or annually - However I don't believe in this. I find it a LONG time to potentially have metal fragments circulating.

So I think I will just change it myself, how can they check if its Mobil 1 or Castrol for example - I will use Mobil 1 as they use those and Tarmac stock it ;)

If its a Ferrari or a 370z... metal is still metal. BMW require it, and that's on their new gen M3/M4 so they aren't exactly exotic like the screaming S65 was... I think it's a good sign that it should be done. Nissan didn't tell me not to rev it above a certain point, said go out and enjoy. I refused to rev it over 4k before I hit 500 miles and constantly varied the load... again Nissan don't say to do this, its old mechanical myths etc... but it can't do any more harm than hammering the @*!# out of it from the word GO!

BMW do it on the M cars to tax you more money :lol:

Modern engines and oils are much, much better than they used to be: There really is no need for it any more. As long as the engine is warm, there's no harm in going to the rev limiter either on a new car, that's what it's there for. Each to their own though, no damage will be caused by an early oil change, there's just no technical need for it these days.

• Like 2

Go for it for peace of mind.

Unless you've got a bunch of bananas for a hand, I can't see you c0cking up an oil change.

Like you said...... nobody will ever know unless they have a special serial number etched on the crush washer that they check :lol:

In fact I used to do the same on my wife's Mini.

The service schedule was every 2 years as she only did 3k miles a year.

I just changed the oil alternate years when Mini wouldn't as part of the TLC package.

Never had anyone find out as I never told them.

Just find it even more crazy to not change oil until 2 years let alone after the first 1000miles.

Edited by HEADPHONES

Okay well after a LONG wait... Nissan finally got back to me... £137 for an oil change. May as well get them to do it. Get the stamp etc.

What a fuss.

Also I wish I had bananas for hands, comes in useful for other things ;)

• Like 1

I personally speak to Nissan UK on a monthly basis re warranty and goodwill matters, for warranty you don't have to go to Nissan for services. However this will be required when seeking goodwill from Nissan UK outside of the warranty parameters for defective repairs.

To uphold the manufacturers warranty you have to be able to present evidence that OE parts were used during servicing and serviced by a VAT registered company at the correct intervals.

As for a running in service, you don't really need it but if you want to I'd just do it yourself.

Mann or bosch will be acceptable.

In fairness though 135 isn't a bad price for a dealer. An interim service at halfords is about the same price on anything above 2.2

Edited by Jay84

Can they be better than OE though?

HKS or k&n? I believe they can yes, it's only things from tier 2 suppliers or retail stores that are questionable. Its why halfords get parts from ecp and pages rather than retail store.

Kinda, let me expand...

Take 350Z brake discs. If they need replacing, I (think I) know that you can replace them with any OEM equivalent, they don't have to be Brembos etc.

However, can you upgrade to a BBK, or would that void something?

ELI5 :thumbs:

If you have the car on pcp check your contract some insist on dealer servicing , but tbh after spending that much on the car I wouldnt skimp on dealer history it will make a difference to some buyers

Yeah although from a legal warranty pov any of the mentioned stamps will do, dealer stamps (wrongly) add resale value.

Some manufacturers only apply goodwill to customers who have a full dealer history as well, which is something to consider

• Like 1

Are you actually serious?

me?

Nah, not you bud.

Kinda, let me expand...

Take 350Z brake discs. If they need replacing, I (think I) know that you can replace them with any OEM equivalent, they don't have to be Brembos etc.

However, can you upgrade to a BBK, or would that void something?

ELI5 :thumbs:

Are we still talking about warranty? If so then you can upgrade within reason. So you could put any E-marked brake pad on, but if you fit a BBK and the suspension fails you're likely not going to be covered (manufacturer will argue that you're putting extra stress where none was intended, and I bet their lawyer costs more than yours).

If you have the car on pcp check your contract some insist on dealer servicing

Highly unlikely to be enforceable in court, it goes directly against European law so would almost definitely be classed as an unfair term.

Modification restrictions, on the other hand, would almost certainly be enforceable on a PCP agreement. So no remaps, but consumables would be fair game if they'd genuinely worn out.

• Like 1