Leather Cleaner / Shine Products

jamiebridge

You won't find any good products that add shine to leather, because leather isn't supposed to shine.

The shine you see on some leather is dirt, so if you want it shiny then stop cleaning it.

Not sure why you'd want shiny leather though???

Also, AutoGlym is mediocre at best. ;)

It adds no protection at all and didn't satisfy my cleaning needs either.

Dr Leather Wipes are considerably better for maintenance cleaning, the spray is better for deep cleaning.

Gyeon Leather Coat is exceptional for protection.

Dr Leather Wipes are considerably better for maintenance cleaning, the spray is better for deep cleaning.

Do you have any leather cleaner comparisons in your test thread?

I have used Autoglym and Gliptone and found Gliptone much better in terms of conditioning and longer lasting feel. For the OP point, you shouldnt be looking for shine as per the comments, but a good conditioner and cleanser works wonders in terms of tidying it up. Of course if your leather has been untreated for ten years then its likely to be beyond getting it back looking new. I used a Gliptone kit (scuffmaster) and repair colour on my old zed...actually found some pics back from 2011!

BA3.jpg

BA2.jpg

BA1.jpg

• Like 3

I don't think so, no. At least I don't recall doing one. :lol:

I do have a number of cleaners in my arsenal, if I ever come across a suitably filthy leather interior to demonstrate on I will do though.

On the topic of conditioners, anything produced after the mid-ninties is top coated so conditioners actually do more harm than good; they never reach the leather they're designed to condition but rather sit on the top coat attracting/trapping dirt. Don't use conditioners on modern leather, please.

Leather manufactured before the mid-ninties will benefit from conditioning from time to time though.

I do have a number of cleaners in my arsenal, if I ever come across a suitably filthy leather interior to demonstrate on I will do though.

I volunteer as tribute. :D

On the topic of conditioners, anything produced after the mid-ninties is top coated so conditioners actually do more harm than good; they never reach the leather they're designed to condition but rather sit on the top coat attracting/trapping dirt. Don't use conditioners on modern leather, please.

Leather manufactured before the mid-ninties will benefit from conditioning from time to time though.

As I understood it (and this is based on reading from 2001 when sorting my zed leather out so memory could be hazy) that the top coat only applied to cream based conditioners and that water/liquid based conditioners will penetrate the top coat and hydrate the leather?

As I understood it (and this is based on reading from 2001 when sorting my zed leather out so memory could be hazy) that the top coat only applied to cream based conditioners and that water/liquid based conditioners will penetrate the top coat and hydrate the leather?

You could well be right, but off the top of my head I couldn't name a water-based conditioner. All the ones I can think of are cream-based and designed specifically for vintage leather... except AutoGlym which is designed to part you with your money. :lol:

I volunteer as tribute. :D

Deal, drop your car off for the day and I'll clean sections of a seat to varying degrees for you. :lol:

Deal, drop your car off for the day and I'll clean sections of a seat to varying degrees for you. :lol:

Hah, don't tempt me. Any clean is better than no clean, and there's a perfect little tough patch you can play with :bleh:

Hah, don't tempt me. Any clean is better than no clean, and there's a perfect little tough patch you can play with :bleh:

I'm not sure I want to play with your tough patch... :bleh:

As above any APC at 10:1 used with a soft brush and clean mf to dry off as you go, then dress with whichever product you like for added UV protection above all else.

At our Ace Cafe meet I was approached by the old boy on my right, asking what product I used on my seats

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armor-All-Leather-Care-530ml/dp/B000Y8FR6U

You could well be right, but off the top of my head I couldn't name a water-based conditioner. All the ones I can think of are cream-based and designed specifically for vintage leather... except AutoGlym which is designed to part you with your money. :lol:

Basically it's all a play on wording. I use SiRamik ICL which protects but will penetrate into the fissures and micropores in the leather top coat.

Cream as you say is utterly pointless unless you have analine leather (pre 85).

Even the 86 Maserati I've just done bad sealed leather.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ive got some superguard leather wipes to keep in the car for any accidents :scare: (they come from nissan)

I also use the autofinesse leather conditioner which works well and really keeps the leather nice and soft to stop it cracking and looking tired

Ive got some superguard leather wipes to keep in the car for any accidents :scare: (they come from nissan)

I also use the autofinesse leather conditioner which works well and really keeps the leather nice and soft to stop it cracking and looking tired

It doesn't but whatever keeps you happy!

Modern leather does not need 'oils' to moisturize it. It's lacquer topcoated from the factory. The main cause of cracking is failure to keep it clean and sundamage

• Like 1

Modern leather does not need 'oils' to moisturize it. It's lacquer topcoated from the factory. The main cause of cracking is failure to keep it clean and sundamage

At least you saved me from saying it (again) :lol:

• Like 1

The Autoglym is great. Smells awesome too. Like new leather.

I've discovered something lately too...

Surgical spirit cleans leather really well and it has oils in it too..I spilled some on a leather stool and wiped it off and the part that I wiped up, the leather came up like new and felt softer.

Only thing is the smell. But if you use leather conditioner after the smell should go away.

Ok...hit me with the flaming!!

At least you saved me from saying it (again) :lol:

Im only going by the results ive seen, my seats dont have any cracking anyway....They certainly feel softer after using it but that could only be due to the fact they have had a clean, i assumed softer feeling leather would mean no cracking but happy to stand corrected :surrender: