Buzzing Gear Stick

Nexus Icon

Hey there,

I've been running in my new Nismo and have been conscious of a light vibration in the gear stick all the while. It's not noisy or particularly unpleasant and I'd put it down to the close proximity of stick and gearbox and the simple transfer of gearbox harmonics.

However, having just completed the running in schedule, I had the chance to really open the taps yesterday. The first thing I noticed is how ballistic the car is when you don't have to change up at 4,000 RPM. The second thing I noticed is just how fierce the vibration is through the gearstick over 5-6k revs.

Anyone who's ridden a single cylinder motorcycle will understand the feeling. It's not a loose, wobbly vibration but a fast and fierce one that is very uncomfortable to hold on to. Changing gear is not a pleasant experience.

Is it normal that the gear stick buzzes like this or should I be on the phone to the dealer asap?

If it is a case of,"They all do that, Sir.", is there any aftermarket mod to reduce or remove the vibration.

TIA

Can't say whether what you are experiencing is normal, but you shouldn't really be holding onto the gear stick anyway apart from for the second it takes to shift.

Edited by Strudul

Hard to tell without experiencing it, but sounds like it probably just a characteristic of the gearbox.

Couple of potential solutions in these threads if you haven't seen them already:

http://www.the370z.com/exterior-interior/81603-annoying-shifter-rattle.html

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-general-discussions/9767-shifter-rattle-buzz.html

• Like 1

This is NOT normal - mine wasn't Nismo, but nope - no vibration at all

Looking around, it seems some people have it worse, some people experience what I do and some don't have it at all. The fact that anybody doesn't have it suggests it doesn't "need" to be there so dealer it is.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, called it...

I don't think it's bad enough to warrant the cable tie method or pulling up the inner sleeve remedies in those links. Other people seem to be suffering with the furniture around the gear stick shaking itself stupid. I'm not getting that. In fact, you wouldn't know there was a vibration if you didn't touch the knob. Ahem.

I had it on my 350 when I bought it, and couldn't work out what it was for ages, I thought it was the dashboard vibrating at 1st, then I changed the gear gator one day and didn't tight the knob up really tight and the vibrating noise got really loud.. after pooping it for 5mins going on and off the throttle trying to find the noise I realised it stopped when my hand touched the knob. I drove with the knob off for a while and no noise at all, so i used some PTFE tape (plumbers tape for everything) on the threads and screwed the knob on, and hey presto.

• 2 weeks later...