Clutch & Flywheel

JoeK

Hi, new to this but hoping someone could help me out please?

I've just brought a 2004 350z, 46k miles on the clock and pretty good condition. Clutch feels pretty high but isn't slipping. My uncle has the same age 350 and he had a new clutch at 60k, his is so much lighter and bite is half the travel, his now has 98k on the clock.

Could it be that the previous owner wasn't great with their driving and the clutch is on its was out?

If it needs changing soon is it worth getting the Flywheel done as well even though it's low mileage?

Thanks! Joe

I didn't think it was adjustable because it's hydraulic?

No idea how to bleed a clutch but I'll have a look and give it a bash! Thanks í ½í±í ¼í¿»

You can adjust the pedal height, which would make for a lower biting point, but the biting point won't actually change compared to the pedal throw, if you know what I mean?

Could it be that the previous owner wasn't great with their driving and the clutch is on its was out?

If it's the original, then that's a 13 year old consumable item. I'd say the car must have been driven pretty well for it to still be going this long? Mine is only 11 years old and has now started to feel like it is in need of replacement. By your standards I must absolutely thrash mine! :D

If it isn't slipping and you can live with the bite point, then no need to change (It's a £900 investment after all).

Zed's naturally high and awkward... and I've got the slightly easier HR... so yours will feel hefty lol If its not slipping or having issue changing just leave it, save your pennies. Mines has done 92K, 5 yearly trips to the 1/4 with multiple runs and still fine *touch wood*. There strong the clutches on these unless your silly and a bit rough on it. I remember looking at advice in magazines before I bought mine years ago and it said the clutch will last about 40K.....pfft!!! lol

I had my DE clutch changed at 95k, this was more for peace of mind. When the old one was removed there was still plenty of life in it. The biting point is high on the Z as stated and when I purchased mine on 83k I had exactly the same worry as you :)

Up to you really, if you want peace of mind then change it. However if it's not slipping just put the cash aside and wait until it actually needs doing.

I'm assuming my clutch has been done (cars on 100k) but I don't have the FSH. It's not the smoothest change but it isn't slipping. Guess I'll use that money and get the front end resprayed.

Edited by RavenDW

Older Zeds always seem to have clunky gearboxes, very agricultural! The older cars I have bought since have smoother gear changes, it doesn't mean your zed clutch is on the way out though. Mine went on 45k miles, I think it really does depend on how much abuse the car has taken as others have run on the original clutch up to 100k miles.

UPDATE!

So i spent some time looking online and after about 2 minutes i found the link that Strudul listed above, i didnt have notifications set on this post so didint actually find your link but i found the same one.

Took me abit longer than the guy in the post, resorted in taking my seat out because i'm quite tall and couldnt fit my shoulders and arms in the footwell, however, clutch is adjusted and my god it makes a hell of a difference! Drives so much better and the clutch feels new! makes it easier to left foot brake as well because it is lower than the brake pedal now.

If anyone is strugglign with their clutch or just doesnt like the high travel, its worth doing the mod: http://www.350z-uk.c...t-clutch-pedal/

Thanks again for the help and advice guys, new to the car scene and modifying, taking everything as i go, lots of youtube video's and forums but getting there!

Worth bearing in mind you can't really adjust that too much before it stops your cruise control working.

As low as mine would go with the cruise still working was only about 6mm lower :/

Yh i did find this as well, but i have it where i want it to be now and it doesnt effect the Cruise Control. If anyone is concerned about this though and they need the pedal lower and it effects the cruise sensor, that can also be adjusted, i think its a 14mm bolt. Similar process.