Another 'fastest lap' time around the ring....

gangzoom

Imagine it.

"the smell of the racetrack" and "the engines roared into life!"

F1 is bloody boring as it is. Imagine if they made no sound.

Thanks but, outright speed and acceleration aren't the end all and be all to being a PETROLhead.

Christ, one of the things I miss about motocross is the smell of 2 stroke.

• Like 2

Every year I am glued to the iom tt, the only thing I dont watch is the zero tt (electric), we have 5 senses, remove any one or more of those, in this case obviously sound and the experience is diminished beyond recognition, its like eating without being able to taste, you might as well have a sh*t sandwich.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Every year I am glued to the iom tt, the only thing I dont watch is the zero tt (electric), we have 5 senses, remove any one or more of those, in this case obviously sound and the experience is diminished beyond recognition, its like eating without being able to taste, you might as well have a sh*t sandwich.

I think I'd be happy enough watching racing without being able to taste or touch it... :lol:

Unbelievable I went to school with Dean Lanzante. Last time I saw him he had just stacked his 205gti up a bank near Churt in Surrey aged 18 :). I knew his father Paul was an F1 mechanic and had his own sideline racing himself. So it turns out with a little digging Dean joined his father in the business and they are heavily involved with Mclaren including this car. Small world. Lucky sod!!

Their garage can be mysterious at times. There is always 2 or 3 McLaren F1 in the window covered up!

I believe they are the only place in the world authorised to do Mcalren P1 GTR road conversions

• Like 1

It mighty have slippy your mind what kind of drivetrain the P1 has ;)

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-the-techno-fabulous-mclaren-p1-makes-903-hy-294642750

Imagine how quick an fully electric P1 would be.... Bare in mind the guys who put together the Neo are like a bunch of men working in their garden sheds compared to a company like McLaren.

Imagine it.

"the smell of the racetrack" and "the engines roared into life!"

F1 is bloody boring as it is. Imagine if they made no sound.

Thanks but, outright speed and acceleration aren't the end all and be all to being a PETROLhead.

If your more interested in noise/smells than ultimate pace maybe you should look into a different kind of cars.... These things I gather produce more noise/smell than a whole grid of F1 car :)

2009-09-20_14-40-07_DSC_7715.jpg

• Like 1

Ultimate pace is missing the point, I don't buy cars on performance alone. The bottom line is electric cars may have that instant torque and blistering acceleration. They may handle beautifully and look stunning. They are however a s**t sandwich as mentioned earlier. They are anodyne they have no soul, like a kids version of the real thing.

I love the innovation and no doubt the future is a lovely white goods heaven of smiling commuters and race goers but thank christ on a bike the fundamental essence of being a petrol head is still there at the moment and thats the damn engine.

You see the future when these ghastly things become mainstream will involve speed being limited and driverless tech.

Hopefully I will be dead by then.

• Like 2

Currently in my 350z whenever possible i go the long long way to work, essentially doubling the distance. Purely to enjoy the car, the feel, the sound work the gears. In any electric car, I just wouldn't bother​ what's the point........

Would I have wanted to record a Tesla fly by........

• Like 2