Car Dealership and misdiagnosis

GaryStewart8115

Hey Guys!

I have a problem with the car and i was wondering if anyone can help me in terms of what i should do in regards to the dealers attitude to it all...

I heard a rattling coming from my engine, so i took the car into the dealers and asked them for a diagnosis - after 4 hours worth of labour they tell me i need a new clutch and flywheel and that that was making the noise...

So i pay for a new clutch and flywheel (800£ all in or so), i pay for the 4 hours of labour to find out what was wrong with the car (210£) and i then paid for the 8 hours worth of labour to fit the components (clutch and fly) (£420) which came to a total labour cost of £630, plus parts that is £1430 im out...

So the dealer calls me today to tell me my parts have been fitted but that the noise hasnt gone, and that the problem had been misdiagnosed.

I go down to the dealer today and he is showin me my clutch and flywheel and telling me that they were "worn"... the car was working fine in terms of taking off, biting points and changing gear, but according to the workshop guy the flywheel had been shattered and it was turning the clutch into "cotton wool" (his words, which he has been using often).

So now they are telling me that they have to check each valve (there are 24 of them apparently) for what is the last alternative in finding out what is wrong with my car... which is going to cost me another 400£ in labour not to mention the cost of whatever parts i had to replace initially.

I was wondering if i could get some advice since the garage was at fault and even though they may have fixed what was thought to be the problem, it wasnt... and im still screwed lol

I'm 19 and im almost out of cash (shouldnt have bought that bodykit), which is the reason for this message :D lol

Thanks

The garage is at fault , just refuse to pay , you took it in for them to fix the noise they said it was the clutch..tough luck on them they swopped the wrong part..insist the noise is fixed at the original quote or just take the car away and tell them to whistle for the money :thumbs:

Which dealer did you take it too?

What age is the car?

How many miles?

UK or Import?

Manual or Import?

Has it got full service history with receipts and what they did each time?

The above q's do help but strange that they are going from the drive train to the engine...

Also did they show you your parts? Shattered flywheel?!

Am sure someone with the Nissan "time to fix" list will be along soon to clarify the quoted diagnosis and fix times...

Hye Buddy

Machargs Nissan on Royston Road Glasgow

2004 Nissan

39000 Miles

Manual

Uk Model

Service Due April

Clutch replaced 5 thousand miles ago

Got a full servie history

I wouldnt know what to look for in the flywheel, but it looked fine to me, he kept talking about how it didnt have much "play", he was very vague :(

Thanks for the help guys more replies would be appreciated :D

xxx

From what you have described the garage has cocked up and probably now see you as gravy chain and no disrespect mate your age ain't helping. (Takes me back when I was in my teens and I got had over by a Vauxhall garage that ripped me off for unnecesary work due to my inexperience) :dry:

Get an independent report - AA/RAC or similar, before going any further and insist they give you back all the parts they removed from your car so that the engineer can tell in the report whether they are fit for purpose or not.

But I have to say that I admire the fact you have ZED at 19 - makes Shire350 on here who claims to be the youngest positively old! ;)

Talk to another garage then contact Nissan GB. They're taking you for a ride.

+1. Contact Nissan GB customer care but only if you can't get anywhere with the garage first. Make sure you get the old parts from the garage - don't let them be thrown away. You may need an independent assessment of them.

If you can, get someone who know about cars to sit with you and go visit the workshop manager. Explain that they have misdiagnosed a clutch fault on a clutch only 5K old. Explain that it took then 4 hours to misdiagnose the wrong part. Explain that you will pay for the new parts (because you have benefited from them) but not the labour. He is able to give you free labour much more easily than free parts. If he agrees to this then its a quick and easy get out - if not then its going to be harder for you but you must stick with it and this time go for parts and labour. Get the RAC or AA legal assistance if you can.

Sounds like they are taking you for a ride mate, I would send a letter to Nissan GB asap detailing what they have said. Do this as part of the discussion as they may be able to assist you in talking to the garage. If you leave it till later they wont be informed enough. Explain that in the phone call / letter

Taking someone that knows there stuff about the cars would help.

The one thing you have is that they have diagnoised the issue and you have agreed to pay for it, now its not there diagnosis why should you pay even though its not at all relative.. They are supposed to be professional after all!

No one on this forum in that area that knows about cars that may be able to assist in going to the garage?

From what you have described the garage has cocked up and probably now see you as gravy chain and no disrespect mate your age ain't helping. (Takes me back when I was in my teens and I got had over by a Vauxhall garage that ripped me off for unnecesary work due to my inexperience) :dry:

Get an independent report - AA/RAC or similar, before going any further and insist they give you back all the parts they removed from your car so that the engineer can tell in the report whether they are fit for purpose or not.

But I have to say that I admire the fact you have ZED at 19 - makes Shire350 on here who claims to be the youngest positively old! ;)

Lol, am i the youngest? I have had the car since i just turned 18 (first car) - i just always liked them i guess, and my parents are poor before anyone asks haha, not that the Z is that expensive - people just make it out to be... back to the point.

Thanks SOOOOO much for all of the input guys, i appreciate it so much and I am going to take the appropriate stepps from now on to get the service that any customer deserves...i wouldnt even expect that kind of misconduct from a ford dealer :p .

While im at it, can someone recommend a good bodyshop in glasgow, as i have to get a bodykit fitted (thats if i get my car back in 2008 haha).

Thanks again guys!

Gary

Hi mate, as already said, there taking you for a ride. AA and RAC if your a member offer free legal advice, give them a call for further support.

Try not to let it get to you, THEY have done wrong. Seriously..Good luck with it mate!

Hi mate, as already said, there taking you for a ride. AA and RAC if your a member offer free legal advice, give them a call for further support.

Try not to let it get to you, THEY have done wrong. Seriously..Good luck with it mate!

Thanks matey! & everyone else too...

Ill post the outcome here - im a member of the RAC - they got me a recovery service to take me to the garage in the first place lol, so ill be taking advantage of theirlegal advice service for sure :D

Thanks again

Tell them:

''I asked you to fix the noise''

''You did X amount of work that didn't fix the noise''

''Therefore I'm not paying you for work that did not complete the task I outlined, re install the original parts if you want''

''Go **** yourselves if you think I'm paying a penny''

:)

These guys sound like complete morons, but: refusing to pay won't go down well and won't help, it's not legal and won't look good if things go further.

I'd pay for the labour, but not the parts, as you abviously didn't need them. Get your orginals back. And of course they were worn, even if they were a week old, they'd be worn - morons.

*Ask them for a written report of the failure and the old parts back*

Write everything down, as best you can - create a log. This sounds like a complete pain, but it won't take long, and will *really* help you if you take this further.

I'd also be mentioning:

1. Trading Standards

2. AutoExpress and the like

3. Small claims court

4. You'll be reporting them to Nissan GB

Don't let them do anything else with the car, take it somewhere else and explain your situation fully - they may be interested in getting your business, plus you can get there technical opinions and use these to build your case against the crap dealer...

Talk to Nissan GB as well.

All in all - don't giove up on this one - you have been creamed and this sort of thing not on.

Good luck.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong here.

You heard a rattle. That’s all. You had it recovered to garage by the RAC. Was the car driveable at this point and you had it towed as a precaution or was it going nowhere?

I ask because the garage told you the flywheel was shattered. If it was my understanding is that the car would of been virtually immobile.

This is a standard Z flywheel. The disc part with all the teeth.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/350z/im ... C00942.jpg

Crap picture but it might give you an idea of what you should have been looking at.

When they showed you the clutch and flywheel was it actually shattered? I would of expected more then a rattle if it was.

You heard a rattle. That’s all. You had it recovered to garage by the RAC. Was the car driveable at this point and you had it towed as a precaution or was it going nowhere?

I ask because the garage told you the flywheel was shattered. If it was my understanding is that the car would of been virtually immobile.

Crap picture but it might give you an idea of what you should have been looking at.

When they showed you the clutch and flywheel was it actually shattered? I would of expected more then a rattle if it was.

My Thoughts exactly mate - i have attached some pics of my "cotton wool" clutch and smashed up flywheel... can anyone tell me if they see anything wrong with these parts as i wouldnt know haha...

Tbh even if the parts are towards the end of their life, the point is that they replaced parts that were absolutely nothing to do with the initial problem, but i want lots of ammo to go in there and tell them to stick the labour bill for the clutch and flywheel up their ass...

Thanks

Gary

DSCF2055.jpg

DSCF2054.jpg

DSCF2053.jpg

DSCF2052.jpg

DSCF2051.jpg

DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2047.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

DSCF2044.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg

My Thoughts exactly mate - i have attached some pics of my "cotton wool" clutch and smashed up flywheel... can anyone tell me if they see anything wrong with these parts as i wouldnt know haha...

Tbh even if the parts are towards the end of their life, the point is that they replaced parts that were absolutely nothing to do with the initial problem, but i want lots of ammo to go in there and tell them to stick the labour bill for the clutch and flywheel up their ass...

Thanks

Gary

DSCF2055.jpg

DSCF2054.jpg

DSCF2053.jpg

DSCF2052.jpg

DSCF2051.jpg

DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2047.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

DSCF2044.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg[/quote

Its cool Gary i am 20 mins from that dealership i will come with you and shout abuse at them lol! We will put fear into them :angry: if not i will kick the guys ass for you! :thumbs:

TBH that flywheel doesn't look too healthy for something that is only 5K miles on.

Did you have a new flywheel at the last clutch change?

The

There is also what I would consider quite a lot of dust which would imply excessive wear. The problem is that I`ve seen tons of clutches but no Z clutches so don't know if that is normal or not.

The main point remains, however. Too much charge to investigate, haven't fixed what they set out to fix.

haven't fixed what they set out to fix.

yeah why dont they fix the broken electric seats at the same time as there looking at the engine and charge you for that! fools!!! :dry:

Haha i dont have electric seats... im only 19 remember, and i couldnt afford the GT model :lol:

No the flywheel is 39000miles old and the clutch is 4000miles old... I am sure there is alot of wear on them but the flywheel is certainly not "smashed" and the biting point was fine, the take off was fine and it was driving fine - there was something rattling about in the engine bay though, and there still is! haha

I reported them to Nissan GB and they said they are going to call to hear their side of the story and get back to me.

Also seeked some legal advice from the RAC and they said the dealer is in breach of the Supply of Goods And Service Act 1982

,which says that they are obligated to carry out teir work with reasonable skill and care.

I guess i just have to play the waiting game now...

PS - Anyone any ideas as to where i can get a bodykit fitted in glasgow that arent gonna screw up my car?, i got some panel beating done from a place in cumberauld that were quite good, ut their waiting list is 2 weeks long and im a very impatient guy haha