Uprev + Pops and Bangs add on (2004 DE)

jamiebridge

Hello,

I am booking my 2004 DE into TDI to get an uprev, I am wanting to get the pops and bangs add on.

However TDI have told me that on my early ECU (even with the larger cruise control ECU) it is mappable, but not switchable.

SO my options are:

1. Get an uprev with non-switchable pops and bangs.

2. Get a 2006 revup ECU, Get it fitted and get the switchable maps uprev, how easy is this? Is it going to cost me small fortune?

My Questions:

If i opt for 1. pops and bangs constantly mapped in, how often does it pop and bang? Is it going to start doing my head in after a few weeks? If it only pops and bangs every so often / driving in a certain way, im comfortable with that. I'm assuming pops and bangs is an add on? It's doesn't affect the performance on the uprev map? (Be kind, I'm new to mapping).

If I decide to get a new ecu, get it fitted ect, how easy is this? Is it going to cost me small fortune?

In order to create the pops and crackles it relies on slight dipping of the accelerator pedal so if you get a bit sick of it just don't do it. It'll happen naturally a bit

but not to the extent that it's going to wind you up. I've had mine mapped in on my HR and although switchable I'm constantly in the "pop and bang" map.

As i said it's more of a crackle, you're not going to wind up with an ASBO

• Like 2

In order to create the pops and crackles it relies on slight dipping of the accelerator pedal so if you get a bit sick of it just don't do it. It'll happen naturally a bit

but not to the extent that it's going to wind you up. I've had mine mapped in on my HR and although switchable I'm constantly in the "pop and bang" map.

As i said it's more of a crackle, you're not going to wind up with an ASBO

Haha, perfect! Think i will go for that then. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Probably worth dropping a PM to Mark@Abbey. He'll be able to confirm for sure.

For anyone in the future I just received this from TDI:

"Ive just spoken to Mark at Abbey and he said they just keep it on all the time on the older DE but only over 2500rpm so happy to do that if you are happy to live with it"

• Like 1

Interesting to have read this... I have an 05 DE and I was hoping to have it remapped and have a switchable map to allow for driving on normal unleaded when it's all I can get .. but it looks like with my age of car that's not going to be possible then ?

Interesting to have read this... I have an 05 DE and I was hoping to have it remapped and have a switchable map to allow for driving on normal unleaded when it's all I can get .. but it looks like with my age of car that's not going to be possible then ?

Someone correct me if im wrong but if your 05 is a track or anniversary model it will have the revup ecu which they can do switchable maps on. But if its just a standard model then no switchable maps.

Someone correct me if im wrong but if your 05 is a track or anniversary model it will have the revup ecu which they can do switchable maps on. But if its just a standard model then no switchable maps.

I bought it as a GT model.. there was no mention of track or anniversary in the sale.. 😣

Got permanent pops and bangs on my DE. I personally love it. Slightly pressing the throttle between 2-4k rpm activates it.

Driving normally they are quiet and non intrusive and you can choose not to ever do them if you are sensible.

If you rev match or heel and toe into 4krpm and tap the throttle it makes a nice bang (eg. Downshift into 2nd at approx 40mph). Also you can hold the throttle in the right position between 2-4k rpm and it will continue to activate non stop near enough.

I'm better at them now but this is a vid I made the day after I got them. Think around 1.30 they start. Excuse the poor audio

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got permanent pops and bangs on my DE. I personally love it. Slightly pressing the throttle between 2-4k rpm activates it.

Driving normally they are quiet and non intrusive and you can choose not to ever do them if you are sensible.

If you rev match or heel and toe into 4krpm and tap the throttle it makes a nice bang (eg. Downshift into 2nd at approx 40mph). Also you can hold the throttle in the right position between 2-4k rpm and it will continue to activate non stop near enough.

I'm better at them now but this is a vid I made the day after I got them. Think around 1.30 they start. Excuse the poor audio

One of the best/clearest videos Ive actually watched with the pops/bangs on a Zed. Sounds good mate and very childish :) cant wait to see what they sound like on my decatted Nismo system

• Like 1

One of the best/clearest videos Ive actually watched with the pops/bangs on a Zed. Sounds good mate and very childish :) cant wait to see what they sound like on my decatted Nismo system

Would be interesting to hear them with different exhaust set ups. I have a lot of silencers/resonators so I assume a straighter through system could sound a fair bit different.

Would be interesting to hear them with different exhaust set ups. I have a lot of silencers/resonators so I assume a straighter through system could sound a fair bit different.

When I finally get mine done Ill try and get a decent video of it. At the moment she has not been mapped at all and she pops and crackles nicely when the exhaust is hot so hoping it will sound even better afterwards. The Nismo system has just 1 silencer so again hoping it will stand out like yours :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...