Anti dazzle (auto dimming) mirror fitted, guide soon...

MDMetal

I'll add this as a guide when I have some time but today I spent around 2 hours adding an anti dazzle mirror to my Z :)

I've looked for posts on this and all I could find was an old post with a cryptic reference to a US guy who swapped in a BMW mirror. Not sure why having read his thread it seemed like a pain!.

The Nissan Navara shares many parts with our Z's and as it does come with a mirror that was my starting point, guess what, it's stupidly easy to do this mod! The Navara mirror fits our window mount perfectly, no cutting or hacking required. It requires 3 connections, ground and ignition, the 3rd is optional (reverse) to disable the dimming when reversing.

Anyway here are the photos for a few hours work and around £40 it seems like a no brainer to bring a little gizmo to our babys.

daylight...

jY3ByTb.jpg

darkened..

N4p7meG.jpg

I did it from the stereo simply as I have a reverse feed in there already and it keeps all the cables in the same place. You don't have to have a reverse feed (all it does it ensure the mirror can't dim when your reversing) you can live without it or press the power button. Given I have a rear camera I already routed a cable to the stereo so it was nice and easy.

I avoided the dome light for that reason and also that I'd already blown one up so figured I'd steer clear!

• 1 year later...

I did this today but have a mirror with a compass (why not) which needed calibrating. 

1. Press and hold the power button until a number is shown. This is the compass zone.

2. Press the power button to increment the number to 9. This is the zone for the UK

3. Press and hold the power button until a C is shown.

4. Now find a safe place and drive in a circle

The mirror will automatically show the direction when it's finished calibrating.