UK YouTubers 911 goodness

davey_83

If you think you might enjoy one then do it ... I wish I'd bought one years ago ... best car I've ever had :)

May well do it one day. :teeth:

I'd like a "911" but currently I'm more likely to be able to afford a 996 variant than a 997 but I'd prefer the 997 model as it looks better for starters imho.

Could get a Cayman maybe but I've already got some ideas of what I'd like after my current car, the S3. ;)

Tempted by a 911, but don't like the styling, apart from maybe the 991, which is weird, because they all look pretty much the same...

They just don't seem as special as other stuff though. Sure, I'd take one over a TT RS / Z4M / SL55, but compared to an XKR, Chim, 4200 GT or Vette??

• Like 1

If you think you might enjoy one then do it ... I wish I'd bought one years ago ... best car I've ever had :)

I'd like a "911" but currently I'm more likely to be able to afford a 996 variant than a 997 but I'd prefer the 997 model as it looks better for starters imho.

Could get a Cayman maybe but I've already got some ideas of what I'd like after my current car, the S3. ;)

The only problem with Porches is that I can't afford the decent ones :lol:

My Mams New boxster is lovely to drive but I can't get away with the puny 2.7 lump in it. I can imagine the proper ones being fantastic.

Driving a 911 once can be very hit and miss due to the location of the engine, and now with the myriad of drivetrain options too it's even worse. Assuming a basic 2WD coupe though, with either gearbox, I can fully understand people getting into one and either loving every second, or wondering what the hell all the fuss was about.

It took me a good 8 months I would say at least before it finally clicked in my brain just how to drive one properly. Until then I'd been driving it like I would a mid-engined car, which meant I wasn't making anywhere near as much use of that weight distribution as I could. Once it did click in my brain though, it was a revelation and nothing ever seems quite the same, or as good. That feeling when you brake hard as hell for a corner, guide the nose in and feel everything go light as you come off the brakes, then jump on the throttle before you've even kissed the apex and feel the whole car squat down and shove you out is absolutely unique, and not even an Elise can touch it at that point for me. Above anything else, maybe Caterhams aside, I can see why people buy 911 after 911 after 911.

Once you get it, you pretty much don't want anything else. I love my V8, but there's an aching part of me that wishes I'd just got a 996 C2 instead. It's not a case of if I'll have a 911 again, it's a case of when.

• Like 1

The only problem with Porches is that I can't afford the decent ones :lol:

My Mams New boxster is lovely to drive but I can't get away with the puny 2.7 lump in it. I can imagine the proper ones being fantastic.

Me too. I'd love a GT4 for example, but sadly I can't afford one. :(

Edited by sipar69

• 2 weeks later...

Been lucky enough to have a play in a 997 GT3 and a 991 GT3 at Dony. Seriously impressive cars. I really wanted a 997 911 and still do tbh but you would have to go for a gen2 to make sure you didn't get the nasty problems the gen1s are commonly suffer from... this adds so much on to the price that i just couldn't justify it, nor really afford. I know it seems silly but I really do think the 350s a brilliant cost effective version of say a Cayman S, easier to work on, cheaper to fix and so much more easy to live with. Think i would be too precious over a Porsche.

• Like 1

Been lucky enough to have a play in a 997 GT3 and a 991 GT3 at Dony. Seriously impressive cars. I really wanted a 997 911 and still do tbh but you would have to go for a gen2 to make sure you didn't get the nasty problems the gen1s are commonly suffer from... this adds so much on to the price that i just couldn't justify it, nor really afford. I know it seems silly but I really do think the 350s a brilliant cost effective version of say a Cayman S, easier to work on, cheaper to fix and so much more easy to live with. Think i would be too precious over a Porsche.

GT3 eh?! alright for some!

With regards to costs, it depends on which model you buy really. I bought my 997 turbo 12 months back and have done 15,000 miles over the last year in it much to my local Indy`s amazement. Thats more miles in 1 year than it did in about the 5 years prior to be buying it. Its actually cost me pretty much no more than the BMW 1 series it replaced to maintain over the last year and the insurance was only a fraction more.

Im getting 27mpg out of it on my daily commute which for something with this performance I think is great. Thats better mpg than my zed returned.

Actual value of the car looking at current prices id say its worth roughly the same as I paid for it baring in mind the extra miles ive put on it. Had i only done 2000 miles it would probably be worth 5 grand more than I paid. Whereas on my zed I lost £5k in a year and the BMW 1 series was loosing £3k each year.

So all in all, it was a good buy. Only problem I think I am stuck with it. I cant think of any other car atm which can tick all my boxes for the money.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Unbelievable, we were watching the same vid at the same time. I just turned back to the forum window cos I was thinking of sharing it. That's uncanny, the video's only been out an hour as well!

/cue xfiles theme...

• 2 months later...

Can't say that the standard 996 tickled me after the HR Zed. Too close power wise and weight wise. Ekona is right tho, engine at the rear means you can act like a total idiot pulling out of a junction and the things just grip and go. Back end just refuses to step out. It's very odd after driving a FR car. But becomes intuitive eventually. Almost slow in (less mechanical grip than a FR car) and then very fast out thanks to the location of the engine. 

The 911 Turbo is a different beast again. The 996 varient being predominantly rear wheel drive until the front breaks traction..Then  the front diff bites and the car hauls the hapless driver out of trouble and makes them look like Ayrton Senna. 

I ought to know  lol  :0)

(30,000 miles in three years so far)

Edited by andyvvc