Camera lens advice

GizmoGold

Hi all!

I've got a 700D and I'm looking to get a new lens with a bit more range. I currently have a 18-55 one, would the one on this link be a good upgrade to buy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EP71ETU/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Thank you!

I don't know any of the technical terms for camera stuff 😬

That's a good price. I have a Tamron 70-300 which cost slightly more but still give,s a good length. The only problem with these cheap zooms is that aperture (the f number) isn't great. The lower the F number, the larger the opening in the lens, meaning it lets more light in and will be quicker. So if your looking to shoot fast moving sports at a distance, you'll get the zoom but the shutter can't open and close quick enough so it will be more likely to be blurred. That's really where the money is spent on zoom lenses.

• Like 1

Without knowing too much about it that lens looks to be a great price! Decent range/zoom, and STM is the newer silent motors tech.

It all depends on what you're going to be taking pictures of, and how serious you are. I have the 15-85mm as my every day lens as it's pretty wide open, with good enough zoom for most things.

If, like me, you enjoy Motorsport or air show photography then you'll likely want more than 250mm top end as that lens will max out quickly.

I currently have a budget 70-300, it's great for the price but could really do with something a tad longer. I wouldn't dismiss buying used equipment as most folks take good care of their gear.

However, coming back round full circle. For the price, the lens you linked to is very good value.

• Like 1

The 15-85 is hardly any difference in focal length to what you have already and its 600 quid.

I'd go for a cheapo 70-300mm zoom which will give you more range than the 55-250 at the long end, especially for motorsport.

You have a choice between Canon, Sigma or Tamron. Check reviews on each one to see which is best.

Cheap enough to buy new but consider used as mattross has said

Be prepared to hike up the ISO as the apertures on these lenses dont open so wide.

• Like 1

The 15-85 is hardly any difference in focal length to what you have already and its 600 quid.

I'd go for a cheapo 70-300mm zoom which will give you more range than the 55-250 at the long end, especially for motorsport.

You have a choice between Canon, Sigma or Tamron. Check reviews on each one to see which is best.

Cheap enough to buy new but consider used as mattross has said

Be prepared to hike up the ISO as the apertures on these lenses dont open so wide.

Agree.

Yeah the 15-85 will only give you a bit more range but so much more in terms of quality and versatility when walking around.

I had that and a 70-300mm. Pick them up off eBay but buy carefully. Or try somewhere like wex photographix who sell second hand but rate them. So much want with that place.

PS just realised you're in the same boat as me. Sold your zed, now got a mx5. Leaves a big hole in your heart doesn't it?

• Like 1

I have a sigma 70-300mm which is a reasonable lens for the money.

the only down side I've had is needing to swap lenses when I'm in a city such as London where you need the range but you would get that with most budget lens options.

Edited as first sentence didn't make sense

Edited by Fodder

Yeah the 15-85 will only give you a bit more range but so much more in terms of quality and versatility when walking around.

I had that and a 70-300mm. Pick them up off eBay but buy carefully. Or try somewhere like wex photographix who sell second hand but rate them. So much want with that place.

PS just realised you're in the same boat as me. Sold your zed, now got a mx5. Leaves a big hole in your heart doesn't it?

It leaves a giant Z shaped hole! Once I've found myself a new job with a better income I think I'll definitely be looking at a 370 :teeth: The mx5 is fun and all, but I miss that feeling when flooring the Z! I'll give them a try thanks!

I have a sigma 70-300mm which I've going is a reasonable lens for the money.

the only down side I've had is needing to swap lenses when I'm in a city such as London where you need the range but you would get that with most budget lens options.

What lens would you swap to when in London? a majority of my photos are probably going to be there

I had a Tamron 70-300 which did take some great pictures but like any budget option the auto focus was very slow and the lens itself a bit clunky. Also worth noting that stability control is a good thing to have if using zoom lenses if you are walking around and do not have a tripod/monopod handy.

• Like 1

Your 18-55 kit lens would be sufficient around London. It all depends on what type of pics you like to take.

Another alternative would be to dump your kit lens altogether, and buy a multi-purpose zoom that covers wide to telephoto, that you can walk around with all the time such as the.......

18-300mm from Sigma http://www.wexphotographic.com/sigma-18-300mm-f35-63-c-dc-macro-os-hsm-canon-fit-1560120/

or the 16-300mm from Tamron http://www.wexphotographic.com/tamron-16-300mm-f35-63-di-ii-vc-pzd-macro-lens-canon-fit-1553135/#1553135

As said before, these lenses will struggle in low light especially at the long end, so be prepared to up the ISO.

As Fodder said the Sigma 10-20mm is a great wide angle lens for landscape or getting lots in the frame.

Its all down to what you want really and how much you are prepared to spend.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice! I knew I didn't know much and now I've got loads of numbers in my head :lol: Ideally I don't want to spend more than £150 odd so I might keep my lens and try the budget zoom options

You can read and listen to all the advice from here, other photographers, websites, youtube and what not BUT...

At the end of the day you need to try it out and see if it fits your needs with coverage, depth of field and artifacts that cheaper lenses have (but might not concern you).

So I recommend a couple of things :)

1: Hire a couple for a weekend.

2: Buy used (from a good ebay seller or shop), if you don't get on with it sell it on, very hard to loose money (I've always sold them for the same price I spent).

Example

http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

https://www.hireacamera.com/en-gb/stills/lenses/

Good luck !

• Like 2

You can read and listen to all the advice from here, other photographers, websites, youtube and what not BUT...

At the end of the day you need to try it out and see if it fits your needs with coverage, depth of field and artifacts that cheaper lenses have (but might not concern you).

So I recommend a couple of things :)

1: Hire a couple for a weekend.

2: Buy used (from a good ebay seller or shop), if you don't get on with it sell it on, very hard to loose money (I've always sold them for the same price I spent).

Example

http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

https://www.hireacam.../stills/lenses/

Good luck !

Ooo I like this! Thanks!

• Like 1

I cannot praise the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS enough.

The large aperture with very good IS means you can get some really good shots regardless of light conditions. I bought a used example and sold it for a fair price despite damaging it after I moved over to a compact camera system. The lens was pretty much permanently attached to my old 550D, it's expensive but worth every penny.

10909008806_88949b88f3_z.jpg

10908280575_7434ef5531_z.jpg

15043301621_902aa6a54c_z.jpg

9064517409_3d7e8b43b5_z.jpg

9064544755_c4bec403fe_z.jpg

15995245566_9a8ebef664_z.jpg

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B000EOTZ7G

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2

I cannot praise the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS enough.

The large aperture with very good IS means you can get some really good shots regardless of light conditions. I bought a used example and sold it for a fair price despite damaging it after I moved over to a compact camera system. The lens was pretty much permanently attached to my old 550D, it's expensive but worth every penny.

10909008806_88949b88f3_z.jpg

10908280575_7434ef5531_z.jpg

15043301621_902aa6a54c_z.jpg

9064517409_3d7e8b43b5_z.jpg

9064544755_c4bec403fe_z.jpg

15995245566_9a8ebef664_z.jpg

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B000EOTZ7G

These shots are amazing!

Your 18-55 kit lens would be sufficient around London. It all depends on what type of pics you like to take.

Another alternative would be to dump your kit lens altogether, and buy a multi-purpose zoom that covers wide to telephoto, that you can walk around with all the time such as the.......

18-300mm from Sigma http://www.wexphotographic.com/sigma-18-300mm-f35-63-c-dc-macro-os-hsm-canon-fit-1560120/

or the 16-300mm from Tamron http://www.wexphotographic.com/tamron-16-300mm-f35-63-di-ii-vc-pzd-macro-lens-canon-fit-1553135/#1553135

DO NOT get any of these cheap superzoom lens, not unless you like wasting money.

They are cheap for a reason and virtually everyone I know who bought one don't use them. Heavy, slow, poor image quality, if you even remotely care about image quality stay clear.

Am pretty sure we are all familiar with the term 'buy it right or buy it twice' for cheap car mods/parts that look attractive for price but turns out tobe junk....

Same with lens, the kit lens are the best value lense around. But to get the next step up in image quality to have to step up your budget.

If you have not got the budget yet for a better lens stick with your kit lens and practice taking more shots, that experience will get you better photos than any lens.

All these shots below were taken with the kit lens that came with my mirrorless camera, the lens is worth about £50 on ebay. Again like cars, a pro driver who knows that they are doing well get around a track in a Golf GTI than a neeb in a £200k Ferrari, its not really about the equipment, it's the human factor that makes the difference.

24828056126_456395f420_z_d.jpg

24329867729_e304797ce7_z_d.jpg

24133403513_53c137f631_z_d.jpg

24226502783_bb6ccf58dd_z_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

18-300mm from Sigma http://www.wexphotog...on-fit-1560120/

or the 16-300mm from Tamron http://www.wexphotog...553135/#1553135

DO NOT get any of these cheap superzoom lens, not unless you like wasting money.

They are cheap for a reason and virtually everyone I know who bought one don't use them. Heavy, slow, poor image quality, if you even remotely care about image quality stay clear.

Am pretty sure we are all familiar with the term 'buy it right or buy it twice' for cheap car mods/parts that look attractive for price but turns out tobe junk....

Same with lens, the kit lens are the best value lense around. But to get the next step up in image quality to have to step up your budget.

If you have not got the budget yet for a better lens stick with your kit lens and practice taking more shots, that experience will get you better photos than any lens.

All these shots below were taken with the kit lens that came with my mirrorless camera, the lens is worth about £50 on ebay. Again like cars, a pro driver who knows that they are doing well get around a track in a Golf GTI than a neeb in a £200k Ferrari, its not really about the equipment, it's the human factor that makes the difference.

24828056126_456395f420_z_d.jpg

24329867729_e304797ce7_z_d.jpg

24133403513_53c137f631_z_d.jpg

24226502783_bb6ccf58dd_z_d.jpg

Amazing pics! I decided to avoid a superzoom and go for a 50mm prime instead. I want to practice more with city shots and thought I'd force myself to learn how to compose a photo instead of being lazy and having the ability to zoom etc

• Like 2

I'd just like to add, your sensor is a cropped one so that 50mm is technically an 80mm on a Canon camera like yours.

Just a warning, as some people over look this, so if you really wanted a 50mm you'd need a 30mm-35mm (roughly) which will give you what you were looking for.

• Like 1

I'd just like to add, your sensor is a cropped one so that 50mm is technically an 80mm on a Canon camera like yours.

Just a warning, as some people over look this, so if you really wanted a 50mm you'd need a 30mm-35mm (roughly) which will give you what you were looking for.

Thanks, I need to learn more! I've had a look at the photos and videos the 50mm can produce on a 700d and I think it's what I'm after. But I'll obviously play with it first and if it isn't quite what I'm looking for than I'll check out a smaller lens