So if you had a budget of £7500...

heyho

...what 350Z would you purchase.

Yes I know this is a noob question (and my 2nd post) but the market place seems to be full of half decent 350Z GT's at around this price range. What should I look out for? Is the pre 1st quarter 2006 276bhp engine (and cheaper tax) comparable with the revised engine?

Is there anything I should be wary of?

Any advice gratefully received.

Oh and one other question - any of you 6ft+. I'm an ex Rugby (League of course) prop and about 6ft 5". I've never sat in a 350Z- Will I get in :lol:

I paid 7k in Sept 15 for a 05' DE 350z with 59k mileage. At the time I didn't fancy paying £500 tax for a rev up but looking back its fairly negligible.

When you take into account I changed all four tyres for £500 soon as I got the car, a bit of bodywork which added up.

If I had purchased a rev up 06+ with decent tyres already fitted then right now I'd still be quids in.

Oh - I'm sure you will fit in just fine there's plenty of head room with the shape of the roof.

• Like 1

The lowest mileage/best example I could find closest to me regardless of which version, so long as its not an import.

Id rather pay more to have a well looked after lower mileage DE than a higher mile HR (and whats what i did, picked my DE up on 32k nearly 3yrs ago).

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 2

I would stick a cheeky offer in on mine, get it mapped and squeeze a few bhp out of it ;) haha.

Seriously though....

Revups have a little more power, 7500 may squeeze a HR model if your lucky. It all depends what you want from your car.. I'd pick a good clean motor with all the service history and leave a little spare cash for personal touches or maintenance. The last thing on the list for me would be which model it was as the motors are all strong (revup models can drink a bit of oil but not ridiculous amounts, just check every couple of weeks). People with the HR model all seem to say the extra power and higher redline makes a massive difference so may be worth considering finding one rather than buying an earlier model and wishing you'd bought the HR.

I'd make sure you get a gt model for the heated seats and brembos etc..

6'2" here and plenty of room.

Friend is 6'8 and fits fine too.

The performance difference isn't massive between the 3 variants. The HR feels to rev more freely.

Tune the 276 DE and it'll go a lot better even though power gains aren't massive with bolt ons and a tune. There's a few videos of a tuned 276 DE out accelerating an HR all the way on yewtewbe.

People say the interior in the HR 350Z is absolutely 1000% better, like night and day, simply inconmparable on the same level that a travellodge and Buckingham palace is to earlier models and that if you sit in one then the other you'll simply be utterly gobsmacked and disgusted with the older one and you'll need a shower instantly when you exit the DE.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 3

A test drive is essential, all versions suffer from suspension ancillary wear, bushings and ball joints. Make sure there are no knocks on the drive. When I was looking I found the HR was a smoother engine less course and the clutch a tad lighter and the Rev limit is higher. I bought a DE though as I wanted a modding budget. I'm happy with it. Interior revisions from 06 on the Rev up include a revised centre consul and revised door cards. Later facelift cars came with better bi xenon headlights and led tail lights and a slightly reshaped front bumper and my opinion look more contemporary.

Your budget should get you a nice facelift version so a Revup or a leggy HR.

Don't discount early cars though and buy on condition as the exterior can be updated fairly easily although interior wise changing the centre consul is a real faff :)

The Bose stereos are pretty pants so if you can find one with an aftermarket stereo it's a bonus.

Happy hunting.

• Like 1

As someone said earlier, get one with recent brakes, tyres and a decent exhaust. If not, haggle like mad.

I went for the cloth seats version - cheaper, lighter, lower seats - so more headroom. It's the purist's choice.

It's snug if you put a helmet on so bear that in mind if you go for electric leather premium ones.

• Like 1

I'd buy the one in best condition. High mileage HR over a low mileage DE any day though.

Revups are worth it for the better interior and more importantly the extra 500rpm which transforms the driving experience, however you do need to be aware that some have been known to burn oil a fair bit. I'd put it at about 20% of cars, going on here over the years. I had one, it was absolutely fine. We've seen a fair amount of DE engines go pop in the last year or so, although I don't believe there's any correlation there to be found.

Ignore anyone who says that the VED cost should be an issue at all: It's the equivalent of an extra pint of beer a week, and the cost will pale into the amount you'll spend on fuel over the year. Haggle £500 off the cost of the car you buy and the extra is paid for for two years ;)

• Like 1

Id aim for a late DE 350z for this budget and that way you possibly dont need to spend the lot either (tax and insurance needed from the get go) IMO the extra paid in tax year in year out isnt worth it for the 06 model, i dont hit the rev limit every day nor do i feel the need to with the DE extra low down lb-ft B) I rarely have a drink in the car to which id use the facelift door cup holders either *early models have one on the dash anyways. Lamps on the 06 model are nicer than that of the early model, however interchangeable anyways. Also imo the DE from bumper is cleaner looking than the facelift ones.

Try and get one thats had recent tyres, brakes, clutch and exhaust as i did and thats £1000's worth that you then wont have to find anytime soon. When i bought mine in Sept 15 i had a budget of 9k and still went for a grey 05' model and its been bliss. Missed out on a black GT4, however with my ocd that was probably for the best :blush:

• Like 1

Ignore anyone who says that the VED cost should be an issue at all: It's the equivalent of an extra pint of beer a week, and the cost will pale into the amount you'll spend on fuel over the year. Haggle £500 off the cost of the car you buy and the extra is paid for for two years ;)

I'm a total convert to this. Finding a lower tax model was one of my 'must have' requirements but I came around to the idea that the car itself is far more important. It was members of this forum that showed me the path on this and I'm very grateful for that. Mine is higher tax and it means nothing in the grand scheme of things, I absolutely love the car.

• Like 2

I'd imagine most DE owners will say DE and most HR owners will put up a good fight too. For me it was always the HR, as mentioned, better interior, better lamps all round and the bonnet alone adds so much to the visual appeal of the 350 that made it a winner for me without delving too deep into the engine characteristics.

Low mileage isn't everything, i voluntarily upgraded my clutch and fly at 106k, my uncle had to change his at 44k on his DE.

• Like 1

I would stick a cheeky offer in on mine, get it mapped and squeeze a few bhp out of it ;) haha.

Seriously though....

Revups have a little more power, 7500 may squeeze a HR model if your lucky. It all depends what you want from your car.. I'd pick a good clean motor with all the service history and leave a little spare cash for personal touches or maintenance. The last thing on the list for me would be which model it was as the motors are all strong (revup models can drink a bit of oil but not ridiculous amounts, just check every couple of weeks). People with the HR model all seem to say the extra power and higher redline makes a massive difference so may be worth considering finding one rather than buying an earlier model and wishing you'd bought the HR.

I'd make sure you get a gt model for the heated seats and brembos etc..

after seeing it I am tempted. VERY tempted with a cheeky offer!

I have just one big challenge - the wife!!!!

I recently picked up a slightly tired looking 2007 HR GT with full history and 64k miles for £6750. I knew up front it needed a new banana arm and a big service so I factored the £500 ish for that. Now it's a real peach. There are deals to be had, but mainly if you are willing to buy something that needs a little bit of work.

On the height question, I'm 6' 5" and about 19 stone. It's fine for me as a daily and I have the leather seats. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Space isn't a big issue. I'm 6'4" and I fit okay. I'm also fat and that's not an issue. Only time I struggle is getting my size 14 feet in if I'm parked where I cannot fully open the door. On the whole though it's far more accommodating than most of the cars I've owned.

Car wise just look for the best you can get. I got mine from a dealer because the Mrs insisted on that minute extra piece of mind. I only paid slightly over your budget in Nov and I got a 2007 with the rev up engine. I really wanted the newer interior and the gt extras but they were more an asthetic choice than a case of wanting the extra few bhp.

my last car had a rev limit at 7K, so i didn't fancy going down the rev range which put me off the DE. so naturally I was drawn to the HR for an increase in rev limit. i also like the bonnet bulge :)

that said if you're into modding then a DE or rev-up might be smarter as parts are cheaper and more plentiful, with the exception of DRLs, the sexyiest ones I found were for facelift only, and I've just put a DE bumper on my zed locking me out of those shinies until torqen can get them rebuilt for the DE!

any of the 3 variants will put a massive smile on your face. i got a high mileage HR and have put a lot of money into her mechanically. but i was wooed with an HR that popped up below the budget I was saving for and right within reach of where my savings had got to, and the V1 nismo body kit together with the thought of getting a zed early won me over.

i don't regret or begrudge any of the money i have pumped into her as 2 years on she still makes me grin from ear to ear :)