370z Nismo MK2 harness style belts

Mikevv

Hi guys, I was wondering if there was a way to get a harness styled seatbelt into a MK2 nismo? The seats have the cut outs and I think they look friggen awesome, might even stop me slouching in my seat too!

The only down side is most harnesses ( obviously ) require mounting at the bottom through the side of the seat, my question is as follows

Is there a way to avoid this without buying new seats? I don't really fancy that idea, and I don't want to cut up the interior to make them fit either.

I think I know the answer already but just throwing it out there cause I really want harnesses hehehe but I can't/dont want to cut up the interior for it!

Harness-styled seatbelt? Do you just mean harnesses?

You can use regular harnesses on those seats, you just bring the lapbelts over where the existing lapbelt would go.

Yeah I meant harnesses, just over thinking I guess :)

So I just get a harness bar in the back and it's all good? Never done this before so I want to make sure I get it all right before I buy stuff :S

Can it be done without cutting into stuff? just a case of bolt in and bolt out?

I'm trying to watch this but the camera work is so bad I can barely tell whats happening without sound ( at work with no speakers )

Yup, in theory you just bolt the harness bar in, wrap the harnesses around that, then bolt the lower lap belts into the existing seat belt mounting points wherever they're located. You may need longer bolts though. :)

Awesome. That's what I thought, however the Mrs doesn't like the idea cause of her personal airbags... she's worried it will hurt. Surely you can set them a bit loose like a normal seat belt, cause the 1mm gap between the harness and your body will be taken up in the event of a crash anyways?

Without being too personal , if she is a bit busty then she wont fit harnesses comfortable , they need to be tight you cant set them loose, you can just fit one on the drivers seat , you can even retain your seat belt and just switch when you feel like it

No, harnesses must ALWAYS be done up tight enough so that they pin you to the seat. Otherwise you run the very real risk of slipping out in a crash (submarining) which can cause horrendous damage to the person. If you can move away from the seat, they're not tight enough.

But they're perfectly comfortable anyway, they actually support you in the right places more so can be more comfortable than a seat belt which lets you slouch. Unless she's a GG cup (in which case pxplxz), she'll be absolutely fine.

Rich is right, keep the stock belts as well and then she can wear those instead.

Okay well its good to find out now that it must be done up, deffo want to keep the stock belts if I can then :)

No pics for you buddy ;)

I'm assuming a 4 point is fine, or do I need a 6 point? Many people are saying avoid a 5 point because of degloving - Thanks google :cry:

Edited by Mikevv

6 point is ideal, but 4 point is fine too as long as it's done up snugly. I run 4 points in my cars, put it that way.

6 points will require you to add additional mounting points for the crotch straps, which probably isn't something you want to do I think.

Yeah, I will deffo not be going 6 point then, 4 point should be ample for "daily" use - I don't track my car

Thanks Matt, seen a few on there, but they're all in the US :( I want a tried a tested product that I can order and it arrives, bolt it in one afternoon and then enjoy

Having said that, I found a thread on here with a guy whos mate made him one, so I have contacted them to see what they can do

I know this is just a bit silly now, but is it really an issue with the MK2 Recaro's ? Some people say that OEM seats are just for show and don't actually support harnesses despite having the holes cut? Also they recline which is meant to be a no no??

I just want all my ducks in a row before committing to having one made up/buying one with all the harness accessories etc :(

You definitely want to check that the cut outs can support harnesses, I can't see a reclining seat being an issue as long as it's in a normal position. Obviously laid flat back would be dangerous, but then it would be with the normal seat belts too.