Mixing clay bar types and clay lubers

Flashback

Ok so I'm looking to try and use a clay bar on my car for the very first time, but when looking on a few detailing suites they say match the clay lube to the clay.

Ive got a mixed set of these - Chemical Guys Clay Luber and Meguiars Clay Bar. Is it likely to cause any issues or should be ok together?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

Megs bars are fine with any QD or lube products, but they don't tend to play too well with just water as it causes too much marring. Some shampoos are a bit hit and miss too with Megs bars, some seem to react with the clay which then deteriorates the integrity, but others were fine. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've used a clay bar I can't remember which shampoos should be avoided.

But to answer your question; Luber will be fine with Megs Clay.

• Like 1

Megs bars are fine with any QD or lube products, but they don't tend to play too well with just water as it causes too much marring. Some shampoos are a bit hit and miss too with Megs bars, some seem to react with the clay which then deteriorates the integrity, but others were fine. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've used a clay bar I can't remember which shampoos should be avoided.

But to answer your question; Luber will be fine with Megs Clay.

Whats the alternative these days..? its been about 4 years since i last clayed anything. I need to do my RRS soon as its in a sorry state - should i get a clay mitt?

Whats the alternative these days..? its been about 4 years since i last clayed anything. I need to do my RRS soon as its in a sorry state - should i get a clay mitt?

Clay mitts or cloths can cover a larger surface area than a bar can, and any pressure is more evenly distributed too so there should be less chance of marring. Just be sure to break a new mitt/cloth in on glass before going for the paintwork.

There's also the advantage of being reusable, so if you drop it you just wash it out and you're good to go again. You use normal shampoo as the lube or, as I tend to, snow foam.

The only downside is tight areas, you may have to resort to a clay bar to get into very small areas that the cloth/mitt doesn't quite get to.

• Like 3

BS.

Use water in a spray bottle with a few teaspoons of car shampoo.

You can buy claybars in bulk on eBay for what it'd cost you to buy 2 kits of meguiars.

You can all sorts of cheap tat off eBay, doesn't mean it's any good though. ;)

That said, the Megs stuff isn't the cheapest of the decent stuff anyway. :lol:

BS.

Use water in a spray bottle with a few teaspoons of car shampoo.

You can buy claybars in bulk on eBay for what it'd cost you to buy 2 kits of meguiars.

You can all sorts of cheap tat off eBay, doesn't mean it's any good though. ;)

That said, the Megs stuff isn't the cheapest of the decent stuff anyway. :lol:

And sometimes it's just as good.

• Like 1

You can get good bargains on line, but usually takes a bit of trial and error - have bought cheap stuff off ebay and got exactly what I paid for. Occasionally have found something really good for a low price but overall I think the phase still stands 'you get what you pay for' and many times if you buy cheap you get cheap which is not as good as something more expensive.

My recent exception to the rule is this purchase https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KF4DW82 illogical I would advise you try them out see what you think, larger towel easily dried my car and they are really plush. I have only used them once so no idea on longevity but so far for the price they are not a bad option - not quite as good as the 'woolly mammoth' but given you get a smaller towel as well not a bad buy!

Bilt hamber clay bar

/close thread

This.

Or better still a clay cloth.... ;)

I have one ...... but how long should you keep them (or how many uses)

I've not found the limit of mine yet, I intend to keep using it until I feel it's not working anymore or it's falling apart.

I have used mine to do maybe 20 or so cars already and it's still going strong.

• Like 1

I clay much in line with Illogikals view, before heavy polish work. Also with Dan, wouldn't go back to a bar for love nor money, just not worth the hassle. And I was originally very critical of mitts when the idea was floated. But I was converted upon trialling one!

I first tried the clay bar last year about this sort of time , picked up a clay mitt in the summeri "just to give it a go". Tried it on sons car first!!

I don't think I would ever go back to the bar now. Maybe just for hard to get at areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk