RAF Marham Trackday

Commander

I was down there yesterday in my XKR along with my brother in his z06 Corvette. Nice day, weather was perfect, the standard of driving was good and I really enjoyed the course layout with a good mix of fast and slow corners plus a 2200m straight.

Saw a grey 350z there but not sure it went on track?

The very cheapo 'Zeta' tyres on the XKR held up much better than they should for their price, minimal wear despite me giving it full beans, and progressive, predictable grip levels from cold all the way through to over-heating. (Which took about 1/4 of a tank of petrol each cycle).

The course at Marham is very wide so after I finally worked out how to fully disable the TCS I was able to play around in the corners a lot, particularly with oversteer. I've never done a track day on normal tyres before and although you lose a lot of cornering speed, you gain a lot in terms of play-ability and fun... I'd argue I learnt more about car handling yesterday with poor tyres, than I have done at any other TD with grippy tyres... lower cornering speeds and less grip makes inducing under/oversteer really easy, and you have a bit more time to correct things as you're going slower... and anyway, with 510bhp you can overtake at will so corner exit speed isn't that important :-)

It was a charity day and funds raised go to the RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) and to Riding for the Disabled (RDA). The Mission Motorsport guys were down there too in an MX5 and a GT86; these are the guys using Motorsport as a means of rehab for physically or psychologically injured personnel. I took a few of them out for a proper hoon in the Jag - 175mph indicated on the back straight and a weee bit of 3rd gear (80ish mph?) oversteer round a few corners made me feel like a driving god (which I'm absolutely not! Low grip tyres FTW) and the guys, all of whom were top lads with very interesting back stories, seemed to bloody love it too.

Top day, definitely recommend people attending next year.

• Like 2

Victor tankers were still going into the 90's unlike the Vulcans. In the 1980's Marham was where they sent the naughty boys in my trade :)

Did a 30-130 day at Marham with my Evo , good fun , absolutely maxxed it out on the runway , didnt know they did trackdays as well

• Like 1