82 members have voted

1. 1. How long ago:

• 1 month
    • 6 months
    • 1 - 3 years
    • 3+ years
    • 5+
    • 10+,.

Was following my brother a couple of months back so hadnt clocked the marked car behind us and got tugged, apparently Id been doing up to 100mph (Id not gone over 90) but was one copper, non calibrated speedo and I was very polite so got sent on my way :)

• Like 1

#2 Mazda RX-8 7 years ago. Crime: Undertaking a cop doing 60 in a 40... I thought I was done for on this one.

Ah, they dont like that do they. That just made me remember that I did that once.

Pouring with rain, I am on my Yamaha R1 desperate to get home and get dry as the rains coming in through my waterproofs down the back of my neck and I come up against some muppet sitting there in lane 4 of the motorway doing 65mph. All the other 3 inside lanes were clear for as far as the eye could see. I drop it a couple of gears and fly past the car on the inside. I cant remember what speed I was doing now, but the R1 can do 115mph in 2nd gear so I would have been easily have hit over 3 figures - in order to "overtake quickly & safely". :lol: Anyway, turns out it was an unmarked car, pulls me straight over and starts taking my details. Im sitting in his patrol car absolutely bricking it as surely im looking at a ban. I give him my name/address, then realise that the bike was (at the time) registered at my parents house as the insurance was cheaper, so that automatically gives the copper a red flag. He says any idea what speed you were doing, and at the time my speedo wasnt working so I genuinely told him I had no idea. Copper does not look impressed... :lol: He gets ready to start to write out a long list of crimes when his radio goes mental and he says "its your lucky day, ive got to go to this emergancy, dont do it again".

I rode the whole way home at 60mph and poured myself a large whisky when I got in the door.

• Like 1

What I've done on all occasions, is as soon as I pull over, step out of the car, lock the doors and walk halfway to the police car.

This avoids any misrepresentation of smells in my vehicle and there's higher probability to negate any potential searches which take up my time.

If I was an officer and wanted to search somebody's car and didn't have a valid reason I would probably pull that card too. Corrupt I know.

Also, Il never admit liability. Even if I know I've done something wrong, Il pick apart the story which lead to my pulling over. Without being cheeky of course.

If you are well and truly screwed I would not say a word. At all. And just go with the officer to be detained. The less you say in a really bad situation the better.

Only been pulled over once and that was about a year ago. I had just had my facelift nismo front bumper fitted and had the numberplate bracket holes filled and smoothed. At this point I was undecided where/how I was going to mount the front numberplate so had it on display on my dash in the windscreen. Had it there for about a week until I was leaving a car meet at a retail park when a BMW estate (which I knew was an unmarked unit) sped across the car park from the other side and followed me and a friend in his car in front out. Followed us for another 10mins or so before overtaking and slotting in between my and my friend's cars. Low and behold on come the 'police, follow' lights in the rear window. Pulled over literally 1 minute from my house one copper proceeded to ask me about the front plate not being picked up by their ANPR cameras where it was positioned whilst his colleague checked the car over. They seemed nice enough guys explaining it can be to my benefit if the vehicle was to be stolen to give the police every chance to pick up the car's registration on any cameras etc. which is fair enough. I explained that I had just had the bumper fitted and was awaiting the plate holder bracket from Nissan which was on backorder at the time (this may have been a wee lie as I knew I would be sorting it in the next few days)

They both then proceeded to offer suggestions as to where to mount the plate without drilling into the bumper (one suggested a stick on plate on the lower lip *like a Lamborghini* :lol:)

Decent enough guys who just gave me a warning and advised to get it sorted asap as another unit could have easily gave me a fine.

Edited by Dal B

When putting up this thread i was thinking, is being stopped on the decline, i guess with almost 45% of the vote at 10+ years, maybe it is, or is it just an age thing.

Would people be annoyed to stopped for random checks?

Edited by Jetpilot

In the late 80's my ex Brother in Law got pulled on The M6 in Cumbria for doing 105 in his Golf GTi. Just as the copper started to take down his details a rubbernecker crashed into the back of another car about 100 yards in front of where he had been stopped. Policeman had to abandon taking details to attend to the crash, how lucky can you get?

Pete

It should be borne in mind I was young (18) and stupid.

My father was in charge of East Surrey's Police Traffic Department. He had asked one of his Class 1 Police Drivers to volunteer and give me some extra lessons in the evening when I was learning.

After I had passed and somewhat unfortunately the same Police Officer caught me on a hand-held radar speed trap on a country lane coming down into Caterham. He rang my Dad to ask what he should do. My Dad said "throw the book at him", so I was prosecuted for "excessive speed in a restricted area" and received a fine and endorsement. All this in a Series 3 Hillman Minx.

My "Instructor" helpfully told me that I was a t**t or words to that effect and I received a long lecture. My Dad said remarkably little over the dinner table :blush: - the dismissive look said it all (I suspect my Mum acted as advance peace-broker). That's not to say he said nothing - it was short and not that sweet :lol:

In the late 80's my ex Brother in Law got pulled on The M6 in Cumbria for doing 105 in his Golf GTi. Just as the copper started to take down his details a rubbernecker crashed into the back of another car about 100 yards in front of where he had been stopped. Policeman had to abandon taking details to attend to the crash, how lucky can you get?

Pete

Similar story to a mate of mine, his mum is a top lawyer, she is a member of a supercar club (so gets access to loads of performance cars) anyway whilst out in one got caught doing 140mph+ on the M4. She rang my mate as the copper went away to get his paperwork and all he said from our side was 'what? 140? why?! What do you mean they are letting you off? ...' turns out something more serious happened just up at the next junction and the copper had to respond immediately. She got away with it.

only stopped the once... back when I'd been driving about a year, was just pootling around university campus late at night, when I was stopped by the plod. i had a hatchback, moderately loud exhaust and he thought i was speeding - pretty sure i wasn't, i was doing about 35 in a 40 zone...

to be fair he was quite polite, turns out there had been a few incidents of foreign students either not looking or looking the wrong way when crossing the road and getting hit. i think he was looking for someone else.

and that's been it! been caught for speeding once, late night at the M4/M5 junction an overhead gantry snapped me doing 85. volunteered to do the speed awareness course rather than put points on my clean license.

but generally i wouldn't have much reason to be pulled over - i don't speed through 30 and 40 zones, only open it up on country roads or motorways. the M45 past Rugby is great, since it doesn't really go anywhere... frequently use that when travelling back from a trackday at Bedford.

• 1 month later...

I passed a motorway cop that was dealing with a coach on the hard shoulder, at about 150mph in the S2000. He musta heard me long before he saw me, I had a titanium single on the car at the time, 8500rpm in 6th. I couldn't see him until it was too late, parked in front of the coach, he just watched me fly by. Again in the S2000, I pulled out of my neighbourhood onto the inner city highway on a sunday afternoon, sideways. Halfway through the maneuver, with the steering opposite locked, I noticed a policeman on the central reservation. You know how it goes after that, everything in slow mo, a million thoughts in a split second, including 'holy crap I am so screwed it's not even funny', and the copper lifts his head and makes eye contact, dead pan watches me complete the drift, then just as I straighten up beams a broad smile and sticks his right thumb up.

In the Z I was pulled over twice in very quick succession after just getting the car, but nothing since then. First time they wanted to check me out (car was really chavvy) and tell me that I had a low rear tyre (I did, I was on the way to have the wheels changed, I even had them in the car with me), the second time there didn't seem to be a reason and one of them asked me if it was a ferrari, which was entertaining. It was quite low back then.

Edited by Aashenfox

That was funny, but kinda risky isn't it? Posting videos of the deliberate commission of crimes to incite law enforcement response for $hits n giggles?? Don't they take a rather dim view of that? Still funny though. :lol:

Literally when I'm having a down day I watch that video as it's something I'd love to do if we didn't get points :lol: I'd love to get a ticket in the states, unfortunately I've never been caught speeding, although in some parts of Arizona you get 30 days prison for it so I'm glad I didn't get caught there :lol:

• Like 1

Totally off topic, but... When I'm really really pi**ed off to the point of wanting to murder, I watch a 6 second, 10 year old video called 'The Racquetball trick' (careful spelling), uploaded by PuckUniversity.

It disarms me immediately. I can't link it as I'm at the office, but if you search 'the racquetball trick', it should be the second result. Enjoy.

Edited by Aashenfox