82 members have voted

1. 1. How long ago:

• 1 month
    • 6 months
    • 1 - 3 years
    • 3+ years
    • 5+
    • 10+,.

The last time i was stopped was in 2013 in Malawi, Africa.

It was Christmas day, i was driving a borrowed pick-up (no insurance etc). Some cops popped out from behind a tree with what im sure was just a hair dryer and did me for speeding. I tried to argue with them that it was bullsh*t etc and the cop said look mate, just give me 5000 kwatcha and be on your way. When i realised this was only £6 i was happy to pay it. Worth it for the cool story to tell. ...they didnt even check my license :lol: .

• Like 1

Stopped last month, On my way to work think it was about half 4 in the morning. Cop car passed me and did a u turn knew straight away I was getting pulled. Trying to drive quietly while he sat 2 inches from my bumper was the hard part :lol:. Was just a quick check to see the car wasn't stolen, with the amount of RS's being stolen I had no complaints and was on my way in less than a minute.

Edited by shaunRS

Driving related probably 20+ times most in my early 20's mostly speeding and being a **** 1 somewhat more serious just before I met my wife 20 Yrs ago and 1 about 4 yrs ago no MOT genuinely didn't know it had run out

so either my missus is a good influence or I just grew up. :)

........ Worth it for the cool story to tell. ...they didnt even check my license :lol: .

Probably unable to read ;)

Probably not even real Police. :);)

Well they did have 3 cop cars to block the road after i passed the hair dryer guy. Although they could well have just been locals who'd painted their cars. :lol:

A few years back.

Was taking my mum to chemo at Christies in Manchester.

Was a 2 Lane road and there was a learner driver in the right hand lane doing 15-20mph. Was cutting it close for the appointment so I pulled into the left hand lane and overtook.

I don't know why the instructor would have his learner in the right hand lane doing that kind of speed. Everyone was stuck behind her.

Traffic copy a few cars back saw me and absolutely nailed it up to me so he'd be next to me at the lights, ironically also undertaking the learner.

HUGE fat middle aged copy. Furious.

"Driver! Pull over!!!" pointed to a street on the left.

"Are you a f**king idiot? Doesn't the highway code apply to you?! You'd better have a bloody good excuse if you want to keep your licence!!"

Had me get out. Show documents.

This copy must have been about 7ft tall. And stood about an inch from me shouting down to me. Breath reeked.

I told him where I was going and why I saw fit to undertake the L driver which I pointed out shouldn't be in the right hand lane going slower than all the other traffic. I didn't really understand his logic. Should we all have slowed to 15mph to avoid undertaking her? And if she slowed to 10mph, do we all hang back to 10?

I was halfway through my sentence and he cut me off saying he wasn't concerned about the learner driver and that I should know better. My ears were ringing he was shouting that loud.

He checked my car over. Had my mum get out. She was in the late stages of cancer and was pretty weak and a few years earlier had broke her hip so getting in and out of cars was hard work. He didn't even help her. Just kept saying "get out. come on. Your sons already taken enough of my time up"

He absolutely scrutinised my car.

Anyway his final bit of advice was

"Drive safer and maybe your mum might live a bit longer"

I wish I'd got his badge but I was pretty bewildered.

Edited by TT350

May 1991 on my way back from running The St. Neots half marathon, I was in a rush to get home to watch The Indy 500 and was doing 80 in a 60 limit in Shropshire. Got pulled twice in the 1970's for random checks and in the 60's countless times on my Lambretta scooter.

Pete

Can anyone beat my record of 4 times in the space of 8 days ?

1. Just got new exhaust so was nice and loud as you expect and as I drove onto the dueler and joined on at about 60mph police flicked there lights on but I just ignored it thinking it was someone else, must of drove for a good minute until he turned the siren on and started pointing his finger towards the hard shoulder haha. I swear this is what he said "do you know what you done wrong son" "sorry I don't". "well I heard your car was going fast and i struggled to keep up with you" I then laughed which I know i shouldn't have done but I then started to say about how my cars loud due to just getting a new exhaust but he then interrupted and told me to "shut up". Handed my licence and he then sat with it for 45 minutes then after that told me to move along.

2. Next day took my car to work from Glasgow to Aberdeen so finished my shift early at 03.00 was driving along and the police pull up behind me again. Drove for about 15mins with the police following me everywhere I went was going into roads I have never been down but they finally turned their lights on. In my head I was thinking it was fake police or something so ended up driving to local Tesco just incase. Anyway all they were doing was checking my car incase it was stolen as its registered at Glasgow.

3. Next day exactly the same again police pull me over few yards from my work talking about how they are checking incase it was stolen but the guy had a young officer who just spoke to me about my car and how he loved the wheels 😆

4. To top the week off driving back home Aberdeen to Glasgow and as I got to Dundee lo and behold guess who is behind me at about 05.00 on the empty road another one. So if you know that road there's a long 50mph stretch and you pass big Tesco but there is slip roads that goes up wile the road stays underneath. So police go up wile I go down so I thought good there gone few mins later that come back down lights on pulled over again. This time it was "so wee believe you were speeding as you made it to the end of this road faster than us" no word of a lie I was just as disgusted as the first incident.

Anyway they had no evidence of either incident and from this day I still have had no points or fined on the z. Currently this year been pulled over 3 times its annoys me that much I just take my other car some months :(

• Like 1

Last time was a few months ago by a road block check point in north Montenegro just after crossing from Bosnia. Police was after some bribe money but let us go when I pointed out all the hardware and cameras were recording. :) Dashcams are a must on long trips!

Can anyone beat my record of 4 times in the space of 8 days ?

6 times in one day (Minsk to Moscow)

7 times in another (St Petersburg to Gdansk)

Russian police is pretty special...

• Like 1

Used to get stopped constantly in my Astra when I was a kid but that's going back 8 years. We used to travel up and down the country for skating tours/competitions and the police thought we were drug running, got stopped every time I passed a police car, it got really bad/ frustrating in the end. Lost a lot of respect for police after the way they treated me in all that.

On the subject of police I was aggressively tailgated by someone yesterday on the way home, it was dark and admittedly I lost my patience a little bit and gave it a little stick through the tunnel so the tailgater could taste some flames/bangs.

At the end of the tunnel is a set of traffic lights and the guy pulls up alongside me, it was two coppers in a 4x4 jeep style thing. They sit and rev the engine while looking over at me laughing and when the lights go green they gunned it. I couldn't help myself and accelerated hard up to the speed limit and passed them with ease. I slowed, they overtook and gave me a thumbs on on the way past.

Very bizarre experience :lol:

• Like 2

I've had that a couple of times in my past cars. I used to know a traffic cop, and they're all just massive petrol heads. He said if someone is speeding safely he looks the other way. If they're being a d**k, then he'll pull them. Conditions depending. 85-90 on a quiet stretch of motorway at night is one thing. During peak its another. Obviously not all will be like that.

• Like 1

Last time I was stopped was in 2011 in Australia. I was in a hire car, and having run out of beer was driving to the nearest "bottle-o" to get some more. It was late evening & dark and this copper decided to pull me over for a breath test. Came up clean & fortunately I had my driving license on me. Funny thing was, about an hour or so earlier id been thrashing this birds Monaro VXR down the same roads, probably without any insurance.

Back when I was younger, I thought points meant prizes and got stopped quite a few times. Usually for speeding or "suspected" speeding, usually in my car, as on a motorbike you can easily get away and hide somewhere. Although I used to get paranoid how whenever id have been out for a thrash on my bike, when I got back home id nearly always hear the police helicopter out. :scare:

Worse probably was back in about 2000 when I had a copper chase me in my car for a good 5 or 6 miles. I had no idea as he was so far behind me. He only caught me because I got stuck at some traffic lights and after sitting there for absolutely ages he flew up behind me with all his lights going. I pulled over and the copper went mental at me. He was a typical arrogant sort who proceeded to verbally abuse me for ages. Turned out that he had seen me pull of a motorway at what he thought was a fast speed, then because he was unable to catch me (he claimed in court he was doing over 100mph), he assumed id been speeding. It went to court and I was expecting a ban after the copper on oath portrayed me as some sort of lunatic driving at 200mph and that he had over 50 years experience of high speed pursuits and how his super fast patrol car couldnt keep up with me etc.. but I ended up with just 3 points.

Once I actually had a copper pull me over one night at 3am after id been out clubbing for "driving too cautiously". Of course I was driving cautiously id spotted him following me for the last couple of miles. He`d clearly seen me driving out of the club car park and assumed (wrongly) that id probably had a few pints etc and would be an easy target.

My brother had a copper bait him once. It was dark and this car kept accelerating right up behind my brother, then backing off. After a while my brother got fed up with this, so he floored his hot hatch and when it got to about 80 in a 60, the car behind stuck all his flashing lights on and it turned out it was a copper. Copper comes over and says to my brother "You were doing 80 in a 60" and my brothers first reply was "id have been doing a lot faster than that had this clutch not been slipping....." :lol:

• Like 2

Many years ago a friend acquaintance of mine had a 90's MR2 (remember that bit as its important), with I think no insurance/tax, but was stupid enough to still drive it from time to time. He was known to the local bobby's for general car related shenanigans.

The story is that he popped into town one day in the car, then returned home, but very soon after the police knocked on his door (they either saw him, or a neighbour phoned who knows).

They had some back and fourth as the driver said he hadn't been out in the car for ages and they must have the wrong person. The Policeman replied with "So if I put my hand over the engine it will still be cold"....he proceeded to walk towards the car, but his hand on the obviously cold bonnet and said "Fair enough, it must have been someone else driving a similar car"....then left :lol:

• Like 7

I've had 3 run ins over the years with the boys & girls in blue. Thankfully they have all been very reasonable encounters. I was always in the wrong, and maybe its my boyish charm, but still have a 0 fine, 0 point license.

#1 Pug 206 about 8 years ago. Crime: 85 average speed for a 12 mile stretch of dual carriage way. I swung into a Tesco's late at night, desperate for a pee, unmarked car pulls in behind me and lights up like a Christmas tree. Asked me why I was doing 85 for 12 miles, said I was desperate for the loo. He "lol'd" and sent me on my way.

#2 Mazda RX-8 7 years ago. Crime: Undertaking a cop doing 60 in a 40... I thought I was done for on this one. A fiesta full of lads pulled up to me at some lights, I'd had the RX for a day or two. Fancied showing off so I floored it and undertook a car that was pulling on to the same road just ahead. They slammed the lights on and pulled me over down the road. Two female officers, complimented the car, it was still showing up as trade on the system. to my complete disbelief, they saw the whole thing and blamed it on the fiesta full of 'yoofs'. Sent me on my way.

#3 350z. 5 years ago. Not technically a pull. Crime: Donuts. Police showed up at my door, with a DVD, I immediately knew why and when he asked "do i need to show you what's on this?" it took everything I had not to say "yes" I wanted to see my rad donuts... The officer loved the car and after giving me a section 59 (misuse of vehicle) and a slap on the wrist he had a good look at it before heading out. Still wish I'd asked to keep the DVD :lol:

Been a good boy ever since. :D

Was last pulled 2 years ago. On St Patricks Day in Dublin. It being a bank holiday I believed it was legal to drive on a bus lane. A traffic unit land cruise was going outbound from the city as I was going inbound. I didn't see him but he did a U-turn, and about a mile down the road I noticed a number of cars pulling in to let this Landcruiser pass - I keep left thinking he's going to go past me - nope. Right up my ass..then pulls up beside me. Window down. "YOU - Pull over there now and stay there" He was very irate and I wasn't sure why:

Police Sergeant: "License Please. Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Me: "No" (I had a few guesses, but I've always been told always say no regardless - don't admit anything)

Police Sergeant: "Right - driving on a bus lane: €60 fine and no penalty points. Overtaking on the left: €80 fine and three penalty points. Speeding: €80 fine and three penalty points"

at this point I thought - jesus I am going to be a$$ r**ped here.

Me, in a calm polite manner: "I genuinely thought it was ok to drive on the bus lane on a public holiday and as for the speeding I was keeping up with the flow of traffic".

Police Sergeant: "so you're going to plead ignorance like everyone else, ah right".

He walks off - and randomly pulls in a Zafira behind me. After about 10 minutes comes back to my window, hands back my license.

Police Sergeant: "now because you didn't give me lip, the fine for you today, is going to be a €60 fine and no penalty points. Now where are you off to?"

Me: "just going to Tesco"

Police Sergeant: "Well lucky for you, you can drive to Tesco. It's not looking so good for the guy I pulled in behind you there - he has no tax, so he'll be walking to wherever he's going. Now good luck"

He steps out into the traffic lane & holds up traffic to allow me off :lol:

Edited by GT Driver
  • Like 1

Oops, forgot I got pulled in a place called Grand Junction in Colorado back in 2001, my offense, going the wrong way down a one way street :surrender:. Kinda disconcerting seeing an armed policeman flagging you down :scare: . Luckily, he let me off.

Pete

Many, many years ago an acquaintance had a frequent, bad habit of getting steaming drunk in town them riding his moped back home.

One night he waved goodbye and set off to make his way back along the quiet road, and almost immediately he spotted a jam sandwich in a layby off the main drag.

Stricken with fear that he may get spotted (he was well known as a boozer) he panicked and lost his steering and drove straight into the back of the police car. Christ we laughed so hard we nearly died.

Edited by Toon Chris

More recently, a work colleague was driving home on the motorway late at night doing a steady 80. As he passed some services a number of black BMWs pulled out of the slip road and sat behind him.

He didn't think much of this until they proceeded to surround him and box him in to the hard shoulder. He nearly pooed himself thinking it was a 'mafia hit' (I've no idea why the mafia would be interested in him) but it turned out it was unmarked cars practising their motorway stop manoeuvre.

Even though he was clearly rather frightened, they still kindly gave him 3 points for speeding.

• Like 1