My Rx8 Track Car - First video

marzman

The GTR is just too expensive on track! Tyres, brakes and fuel are just silly......... but the car is also too fast!

Come and play with the big boys then, last day at Spa there were 5 McLarens, 2 Aston racecars, 2 x 458's and a 488, countless GT3RS's, GT3's, Turbots, Nobles, Radicals ......... I was the poor relative in a 400hp BMW :lol:

Its difficult to have more fun than 5+ of you in low powered cars acting like dicks :D

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here ;)

Well done for picking the least suitable track car ever, and a car that is well out of the OP's budget. Might as well have suggested a P1 GTR, be just as useful.

Well done for completely lacking the ability to put two and two together :lol:

The GTR is just too expensive on track! Tyres, brakes and fuel are just silly......... but the car is also too fast!

Come and play with the big boys then, last day at Spa there were 5 McLarens, 2 Aston racecars, 2 x 458's and a 488, countless GT3RS's, GT3's, Turbots, Nobles, Radicals ......... I was the poor relative in a 400hp BMW :lol:

Its difficult to have more fun than 5+ of you in low powered cars acting like dicks :D

Often have that at Silverstone..... Spa is a must do track for me, not been yet!

But that last bit is spot on! Friend runs a megane, I had the MX5, another comes in a cayman and we all behave like idiots, especially when we are told no drifting.... then Paul gets black flagged for too much tyre noise in the Megane!!!!

• Like 1

Well done for completely lacking the ability to put two and two together :lol:

Go on then, explain it because I don't see it. OP asked for suggestions for a fun track car under £2.5K. You give him a 60's muscle car worth about £60K. Where's the two and two then?

Go on then, explain it because I don't see it. OP asked for suggestions for a fun track car under £2.5K. You give him a 60's muscle car worth about £60K. Where's the two and two then?

Don't feel like getting my crayons out.

OP understood the suggestion / reference.

Would have replied sooner but got stuck on a work call. It's in reference to my several recent threads Dan - that every other day im bouncing between getting an R8, an F-Pace, a 60's Mustang, or this week a track car. I almost went to see a Mustang last week but bottled it.

Although Strudel - i wont be getting a Fastback - far too much money. Would be a notchback style most likely. :)

• Like 2

Good conversation this guys. Maybe i had prematurely ruled out the mk3 MR2's then... i'll take a second look. I always hated the porsche lights on the front though. :lol:

In terms of tracks, it'll primarily be the baby drift track at Oulton as thats a hoot. Speed's not an issue as you dont get above 30mph. Will be some propper track work too though, most likely Oulton and Donnington i'd imagine.

RX8 is the front runner at the moment though I feel...

Edited by marzman

What do you reckon it costs to just drive up to the gate at spa, do a few laps and go home? I'm so seriously considering doing some Italian ones as well on the way to the 'ring, since it's an overland drive for me all the way.

Edited by Aashenfox

hmm if you can drift an MR2 reliably you're a better driver than me!

oulton is a middling track, need both power to get up the hills and handling to get through the chicanes, but donington is definitely a power track, albeit carrying as much speed as possible through the old hairpin and chicane.

Often have that at Silverstone..... Spa is a must do track for me, not been yet!

Nur is only a couple of hours down the road from Spa too ........ rude to do one and not the other ;)

You are not wrong, have done a few laps of Nur, but nothing at proper speed (dont know it well enough).... I did a parade lap with 4 other GTRs before the N24H race last year and we managed 10m 30 for a lap :) not too bad since we were told not to drive quickly!

Good conversation this guys. Maybe i had prematurely ruled out the mk3 MR2's then... i'll take a second look. I always hated the porsche lights on the front though. :lol:

In terms of tracks, it'll primarily be the baby drift track at Oulton as thats a hoot. Speed's not an issue as you dont get above 30mph. Will be some propper track work too though, most likely Oulton and Donnington i'd imagine.

RX8 is the front runner at the moment though I feel...

For that, MX5 wins for me..... reliability of RX8 is off putting..... MX5 with a proper diff and some suspension will be perfect

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2

What do you reckon it costs to just drive up to the gate at spa, do a few laps and go home? I'm so seriously considering doing some Italian ones as well on the way to the 'ring, since it's an overland drive for me all the way.

Doubtful TBH, youd need a full briefing at the least - unless you know an organiser running an event on that day then youre probably not going to be able to do it :(

Its only really the German tracks that offer a turn up and drive thing, they opened the GP circuit when I was at Nur the other day and IIRC Hockenheim has a regular TF session as well.

hmm if you can drift an MR2 reliably you're a better driver than me!

I didnt get any good drifty footage last time out but theres a bit from 8.57 to about 9.20 here, I think Williams (the second corner) was in 4th :lol:

Did a drift track in the dry in it once, that takes "commitment" to say the least!

Hi Chris, a friend of mine is competing for the first time in this year's BRSCC MX5 Championship and is absolutely loving it. The season opened with 3 races at Brands Hatch a couple of weeks ago. They are racing at Oulton Park on 17th June.

Although enjoying it, he says it's a steep learning curve with some very competitive characters.

Need to catch up soon, hopefully will have my engine back in a few weeks.

• Like 1

So i've messaged the seller of this car as its only down the road from me. it looks pretty straight and sounds like it's had some work done and the seller knows what he's talking about:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-RX8-231bhp-2006-Black-leather-Lovely-example-/262943372267?hash=item3d38a573eb:g:RMMAAOSwpP9Y5ozs

Gonna have a read up about how to best diagnose any engine problems... not sure i can be bothered with a compression test at this stage. Yes its a gamble but it's only a £1500 car at the end of the day.

For that money I wouldn't worry, I just take it straight to Apex Rotary and have them rebuild it on the spot. Worry-free driving for probably the life of the car, assuming mileage will be low because track car.

The problem with rotaries is there arent really any warning signs, I literally sold a car during a test drive and whilst waiting at the cash point for the guy to get a deposit, it threw a water seal (like headgasket), 5 mins earlier it drove fine.

A compression check only tells you half a story and is a good guide to general condition but not a fail safe.

Almost throw away money though and probably worth near that in parts. :)

Update

So i went to see the RX8 this morning, and i've put a deposit on it and will be collecting it next week. :dance:

It was one of the best car buying experiences i've had - the seller was a doctor who loves his cars. He had a new E-Class and an Evo as well. The car was really well presented, clearly looked after and had tyre shine and the engine bay was clean etc. Good start.

Given the danger of buying an Rx8, I wanted to interview the owner just as much as looking at the car to see if he had the right answers. Pleased to say he did as far as oil and maintenance etc.

It's also had recent work done - 3 months ago it was running rough so had a compression test expecting the worst - but this was clear and the problems tracked to plugs/leads and a blocked Cat, all of which he had replaced - happy days.

Took it for a test drive and we were out for almost an hour - had a really good chat about our car histories etc and let me test the limits on some fun roads.

Anyway - he's waiting for the V5 to be returned from the DVLA as he's removing the private plate currently but that means i've gotta wait until next week before i can collect. Not a bad thing really as it gives me time to make a space in my garage.

Lastly - i'm on the lookout for a trailer now to take it to/from the track. Being a 2006 it's on the higher tax band at > £500, so with that and insurance a trailer will have paid for itself in the first year.

Took a couple of pics but they're not amazing. Gotta love those suicide doors though. :wub:

E1FFBFD9-770D-421F-A9C8-18EEECFFC743_zpsm7vasswp.jpg

56865C00-1B3E-407B-B565-64CA7F0255C8_zps1nqhyjfa.jpg

• Like 1