My Rx8 Track Car - First video

marzman

Ooh crap, I forgot to mention the traction systems!

Bit late now, but you cannot turn them off fully on the later ones: The very early ones were hot-wireable (see the Formula Women programme), then there was a year ('04 I think) where off meant off, then after that it became nearly impossible. Lexx would prob know more on this subject than me, but my friend who has a track one specifically sought out an '04 for this very reason.

Been fancying one of these as a track toy for a while now, congratulations. I will be watching this with interest. Think a guy did something similar a few years ago on PH as he lived near the 'ring?

tcs can be turned off unlike the z, if you do a single press you turn stability off and if you hold for more than 10secs both stability and traction will light on the dash and be completely off :)

Pretty sure it's different depending on year. I know Lauren who competed in FW, and they had major issues when filming that as the only way to kill the TCS was to briefly flick the ignition on and off whilst doing proper speeds on track.

Wow that looks great fun, I don't know how I've missed this thread. If I were to get a track car id also consider the exact same cars you were focusing on.

I hope you enjoy your purchase! Iv never driven one myself but I'd love a go. My mother's boyfriend has one and loves it, I was hoping I could blag a go but only a few weeks ago it went kaput and he isn't willing to rebuild.

What I want to experience is revving a rotary to unbelievable levels and have it scream. Apparently you need to do this regularly to keep them healthy? I heard you have to be careful when turning them off as well as not to flood the engine.

I'm glad youve got sorted, I would have also considered a z3, those are reasonable money nowadays.

Any plans for mods?

I was wondering how you had gone on. Looks great Chris, you'll have to call round with it.

Ref the traction control, and not doubting Dan's mention of the conplexity, if it's electrical there must be a way of over riding it, even if it's by generating the right signal for the wheel sensors. Presumably these are hall effect ones? There may be a gearbox sensor as well.

Apparently you need to do this regularly to keep them healthy? I heard you have to be careful when turning them off as well as not to flood the engine.

Part 1 is true, helps keep down carbon deposits on the tips etc, part 2 is sort of true, they dont like being started and stopped or short start stop journeys, this was imho part of the problem when they were sold, the salesmen didnt really advise people of the rotary nuances.

Wow that looks great fun, I don't know how I've missed this thread. If I were to get a track car id also consider the exact same cars you were focusing on.

I hope you enjoy your purchase! Iv never driven one myself but I'd love a go. My mother's boyfriend has one and loves it, I was hoping I could blag a go but only a few weeks ago it went kaput and he isn't willing to rebuild.

What I want to experience is revving a rotary to unbelievable levels and have it scream. Apparently you need to do this regularly to keep them healthy? I heard you have to be careful when turning them off as well as not to flood the engine.

I'm glad youve got sorted, I would have also considered a z3, those are reasonable money nowadays.

Any plans for mods?

Hey... Yep the Z3 had been on the list as well for some time too. Plans for mods are to start with the brakes - uprated discs/pads/lines, and then look into bucket seats and a cage - although cage might be a long term thing as I following a brief search i didnt seem to find any 'off the shelf' RXX8 cages available. Also high on my list will be some form of head restraint/hans device.

I was wondering how you had gone on. Looks great Chris, you'll have to call round with it.

Ref the traction control, and not doubting Dan's mention of the conplexity, if it's electrical there must be a way of over riding it, even if it's by generating the right signal for the wheel sensors. Presumably these are hall effect ones? There may be a gearbox sensor as well.

Cheers Leon. Not sure whether it'll be road going yet. On the hunt for a trailer already. :)

Looks great but they always do. ;)B) Fingers crossed all goes well. ;)

One thing....

Lastly - i'm on the lookout for a trailer now to take it to/from the track. Being a 2006 it's on the higher tax band at > £500, so with that and insurance a trailer will have paid for itself in the first year.

Do you really want to go down the trailer route?

What are you planning on using to tow the trailer with the car on?

It needs to be pretty big (heavy) so that it's not dangerous to tow with. I used to work for Indespension Trailers you see for a short while.

Looks great but they always do. ;)B) Fingers crossed all goes well. ;)

One thing....

Lastly - i'm on the lookout for a trailer now to take it to/from the track. Being a 2006 it's on the higher tax band at > £500, so with that and insurance a trailer will have paid for itself in the first year.

Do you really want to go down the trailer route?

What are you planning on using to tow the trailer with the car on?

It needs to be pretty big (heavy) so that it's not dangerous to tow with. I used to work for Indespension Trailers you see for a short while.

As Leon says, ive got a V8 diesel Range Rover Sport so im fairly sure i wont even feel the trailer behind me to be honest :lol:

At > £500 tax and probably similar for insurance, a trailer will pay for itself within the first year, so makes sense to me.

Leon - great minds - this same seller is has a smaller one for £45 too which i found yesterday, so planning to use this for the first track day at least and see how i get on. :thumbs:

• Like 1

tcs can be turned off unlike the z, if you do a single press you turn stability off and if you hold for more than 10secs both stability and traction will light on the dash and be completely off :)

Pretty sure it's different depending on year. I know Lauren who competed in FW, and they had major issues when filming that as the only way to kill the TCS was to briefly flick the ignition on and off whilst doing proper speeds on track.

Surely if you just unplug the ABS module then it cant work even if it wants to?

Help!

Speaking to a friend today they made me aware of the following law:

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• Drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • Tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

My RRS weighs 2400kg. A trailer weighs approx 500kg and the RX8 will be 1300kg - total - 4200kg. Does this mean i cant tow the car on a trailer with my current license?? Unless i downgrade my car to something smaller (and less safe i'd say) so that the combined weight is under 3500kg?

Edited by marzman

What's the maximum weight I can carry in my trailer?

Trailer has no brakes (Unbraked Trailer)

- Maximum 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.

Trailer has brakes (Braked Trailer)

- Maximum 3500kg gross trailer weight.

Edited by Strudul

That law seems backwards?

So you can drive a 3.5t van towing a 500kg trailer no problem but if the trailer (and load) is 1.5t your towing vehicle can only be 2t which is far less safe?

If the weight figures for the trailer and RX8 are correct, then I think the best option would be to upgrade your license.

If you wanted to get below the 3500, with an 1800 (500+1300) trailer, your tow car would have to weigh 1700, which is less than the trailer weight...

Edited by Strudul

That law seems backwards?

So you can drive a 3.5t van towing a 500kg trailer no problem but if the trailer (and load) is 1.5t your towing vehicle can only be 2t which is far less safe?

Seems ridiculous doesn't it? I feel like i cant be reading it right because it doesnt make sense. I'd love to get a cops point of view with regards to how frequently they pull someone over for towing a car? And what the penalty is for braking this law. If insurance is invalidated its a no brainer, i wont do it... but there might be less sever repercussions.

Strudel - i've not checked but my mate said the license upgrade is around £800. Sod that.

Strudel - i've not checked but my mate said the license upgrade is around £800. Sod that.

£800 and an addition to your license that could come in useful in the future

OR

Have to sell your car, buy another car, then tow a weight that exceeds that of the car (which sounds scary and is usually strongly discouraged, even if it is legal).

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1