Multiple problems, strut bar, valve cover, locking wheel nut

Gabor

Hi guys,

I just bought a nice 350Z two weeks ago, and during the easter holiday I started tidying her up to be ready for some track/drift days.

Unfortunately I ran into multiple issues and I'm looking for some help with it as I'm a bit stuck now:

- I cannot remove my front strut bar as one of the threads are broken so I cannot remove the bolt. I tried to put something between the chassis and the strut bar and push it meanwhile trying to unscrew the bolt but no luck. Any good idea other than drilling which I would like to avoid? And if I manage to remove the bolt how this thread can be fixed? Is there any plate with the nuts which can be replaced or a new thread needs to be cut?

- At the moment I cannot remove my wheels as the locking wheel nut key is missing. Unfortunately the key card is missing as well, so I tried to figure out based on the pictures which one should I buy but no luck, I found 2 very similar on ebay in the nissan shop but cannot decide between them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Genuine-McGard-Locking-Wheel-Nut-Key-19mm-Head-612K-9999874612K-/112033225677?hash=item1a15b35bcd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Genuine-McGard-Locking-Wheel-Nut-Key-19mm-Head-651K-9999874651K-/291847453746?hash=item43f376bc32

Any good tips with this?

- During changing the spark plugs I noticed that around the plug it's full with oil at cylinder 5. After some searching on the internet I figured out that probably I need to replace the complete valve cover, thanks Nissan :(

Is there any way to fix it without buying a new cover which is bloody expensive? :(

Thanks for everyone.

You can try a Nissan dealer for a new locknut key, or there are generic versions available online, but I've no idea if they are any good. As for the rocker cover, you can buy a new gasket kit from Torqen to repair both covers for the price of one. https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/engine/gaskets/1657-350z-vq35-diy-rocker-cover-repair-kit-trq350zderock.html

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the responses, it was really helpful.

Unfortunately I don't have too much time spend on the car but slowly things are started happening.

I'm updating this thread with the solutions for anyone who reads this in the future.

Following both advices I spoke with the closest dealership (Ancaster Shepperton) about the missing locking wheel nut key, and surprisingly they didn't started making problems about the missing keycard, so I just drove to them where they opened the magic master key box and after 2 minutes they know which key needed to be ordered, it costed me 18 quid and problem sorted :)

About the broken front strut bar thread, after some investigating I figured out that I would have no access to the nut from below, because the base plate for the front strut bar is just an extra plate welded on the top of the chassis, so there is no physical access to the nut at all.

I had no other choice but grabbing my multi-tool and cutting off the head of the bolt, it worked, the strut bar is off now, but finding a complete fix is a different story for the future.

Following the tip KyleR gave me about the rocker cover I just ended at ordering the Torquen kit which looks the best solution available (meanwhile I found it in the pinned topics as well).

Thanks to ZMANALEX for the extra advice about the spark plug tube. He told me I should replace it as well, because if the spark plug tube is worn the new seal would not help and it would still leak oil.

It absoultely makes sense (it's the same logic as a motorcycle telescope + it's seal) and luckily the spark plug tube is very cheap (4 quid each from Nissan), so I already ordered 6 of it from Nissan for 24 quid in total. Even if mines are in perfect order, 24 quid is well worth for me to make sure the fix will be perfect and I didn't need to disassemble the whole intake again (which is quite painful).

Edited by Gabor

With your strut bolt drill a pilot hole in it and use one of those handy reverse thread removal tools. If you cut the head off how do you know a thread had broken? I'd soak the whole thing in wd40 or pbblast and see if the left handed drill works. If you do drill it out just increase the bit size slowly, you often don't need to use a massive drill to get to the point that whats left of the bolt come out.

267430_130310592605139056.jpg