Ekona

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • SNP
    • Other

Theresa gone done us a surprise, ain't she? Election on June 8, assuming the other parties vote for it tomorrow.

It's irritating, tbh. It's just going to cost us millions to hold the election, and we're two years away from a Brexit deal vote anyway. We either end up with a much bigger Tory majority which doesn't really change a lot, or we get a coalition of competing arguments led by someone who can't even command a lead within his own shadow cabinet.

Edited by Ekona

Here's a question: What if a Labour-coalition get in, and then decide that we don't want to Brexit after all? Can we even stop A50 now? What if the EU say nope, sorry but you've triggered it now, you're leaving one way or another?

Also, anyone catch May's speech? Interesting to note how she slagged off Corbyn and Labour, then Farron and the LD, but simply mentioned Sturgeon and the SNP by name only with no disparaging comments? It's as if she didn't want to upset a key group of voters...! :lol:

Doesnt allow many to "prepare" but in reality, Labour isnt going to turn anything round in a couple of months with a leader the party dont even have confidence in, Lib Dems burned their bridges with their coalition, so as per Ekona, the only thing likely is a bigger Tory majority (imho).

However, 2 things i am curious about.

How will Ukip now fair seeing as in reality they have achieved their goal

How will the Snp fair with NS still banging her war drums and not much more it seems

You can be sure there is a spin here and ultimately within the Tories best interest, sadly i am just not that into politics to make an assumption to what and after the last "who/which way you voting", i will be keeping that to myself :)

Can we even stop A50 now? What if the EU say nope, sorry but you've triggered it now, you're leaving one way or another?

One thing is sure, if we do go back cap in hand to the EU, we are going to bent over and not even greased up......

Can we even stop A50 now? What if the EU say nope, sorry but you've triggered it now, you're leaving one way or another?

One thing is sure, if we do go back cap in hand to the EU, we are going to bent over and not even greased up......

Hopefully that's not even a possibility ffs.

• Like 1

I guess we will soon find out as if any of the other parties feel they can grab some remainers, they will be making promises about a Brexit deal, although as said with the whole Brexit thing, who knows what deal we can strike, no matter what party is at the table.

And of course no-one will actually remember that they're voting for who is going to be running the country and all the other non-important stuff like NHS, education, taxes etc. The media (and the parties themselves!) will focus so hard on Brexit, everything else will just get the odd line here or there. That's the real shame. :(

Also, we've got county council elections on May 8th: Why couldn't she have called this earlier and had them on the same day, to save costs?

• Like 2

As A50 has been triggered, there's no going back

That is incorrect Lord Kerr (the author) has come out and said there is nothing binding to back out of it, there may be repercussion's as far as Britains status within the EU

Source:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37852628

Edited for source

Edited by Fodder

Brexit has been the oddest game of pass the...bomb? ever. One person achieves it but isn't in a position to action it, the guy that is leaves and passes it on to our Trease, she actions it and could end up not seeing it through.

I do think labour need to become a solid party with less in fighting to stand a chance. But I also look back to the country's reaction to having the unelected Brown in charge and how we were quick to remove him, admittedly he didn't help himself by being a rubbish people person, May could go the same way. The country does seem rather fractured atm.

The article I read this morning said that there is no backing out. Oh well, I'm sure we'll find out

To be honest I don't think any of them actually know what is or isn't possible once it was triggered and I expect it will tie up legal boffins for decades if they get involved again.

Also I think it highly unlikely any leader would want to back out as it will be seen that referendums are pointless.

Back to the debate, I can't honestly see any other outcome than May getting elected, i tend to sit on the fence and vote for the policies which make sense for me at the local level however I think this time I'm going to have to vote for which party I think will get the better deal from Brexit.

The article I read this morning said that there is no backing out. Oh well, I'm sure we'll find out

To be honest I don't think any of them actually know what is or isn't possible once it was triggered and I expect it will tie up legal boffins for decades if they get involved again.

Also I think it highly unlikely any leader would want to back out as it will be seen that referendums are pointless.

Back to the debate, I can't honestly see any other outcome than May getting elected, i tend to sit on the fence and vote for the policies which make sense for me at the local level however I think this time I'm going to have to vote for which party I think will get the better deal from Brexit.

Am I missing something, thw vote was to leave, that's what the majority of people voted for, so to change it wouldn't there have to be a referendum to decide if we have another refernedum to votre leave or stay!!? Just asking :D

As A50 has been triggered, there's no going back

That was my understanding too.......however, I don't know of any rule saying that a country that quits The EU cannot rejoin it at a (much) later date. I wasn't in the least bit surprised by the announcement, I've expected this ever since she became Prime Minister despite her previous denials. I expect a 150 seat majority for the Cons, The Lib Dems to make a partial comeback 25 seats or so, UKIP to go down the plughole and Jeremy Corbyn to remain Labour leader. There may well be a split in The Labour party with some MP's defecting to the Lib Dems. I think she may have missed a trick by not holding the election on the same day as the local elections as they would probably have won a shedload of local councils too but let's see.

Pete

Am I missing something, thw vote was to leave, that's what the majority of people voted for, so to change it wouldn't there have to be a referendum to decide if we have another refernedum to votre leave or stay!!? Just asking :D

I totally agree and I think it would be political suicide not to put it to a vote of the public to see if the majority want to back out.