My rx7 fd3s daily *apexi ecu now fitted*

redzed8

No il get the proper reading when i see him to pick it up,

He just messaged me saying there between 6.4 and 6.7 bar which is good compression and doesnt need a rebuild yet.

But my cooling fans are always running as soon as u put the key in and until u take the key out so thats next being fixed, and checking the injectors.

No updates yet Jay Kay just letting tim get on with it and mot hopefully :).

Im looking forward to getting it back and actually driving it to be fair, The days feel like years where im so excited haha .

Just spoke to tim at rx motors and he tells me hes taken the engine out the car.

My feelings hurt knowing the engines not in the car but it needed to be done as a gasket had deteriorated/went missing and it needed to be removed.

There was talk of a rebuild (as the engines already out) but tim said as it only has 30k on the clock it wont be needed yet.

I just want to drive it now but i know all this work needs doing so better safe then sorry .

Edited by redzed8

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some metal door handles from america to replace the plastic ones.

IMG_20170518_205318427.jpg

Also bought a front mount intercooler which i wont be fitting yet .

Im on the look out for some wheels , so far i like the work emotion range but want a perfect fit so have to look up what spects i need.

Thanks for looking :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rx-7 is getting motd tomorrow, tim had to put a new ecu in the car as the old one kept the fan running at all times, hes also put a secondhand set of air filters on the car for now until my arc airbox covers have come back from being made.

Bit sad that the knight sports ecu work had to go but if it means the car runs as it should then it had to go and il just be on the look out for a second hand apexi ecu.

Im visiting tim on friday to fit the metal door handles and if it passes the mot il hopefully be driving it home.

Excited aint even the word haha.

Thanks for looking :)

Funny about the old woman previous owner: my mum had a gold one of these way back in the day (my mum had lots of cool cars). It was the only car my Dad got a speeding ticket in, and since then she never let him drive it again.

I remember driving it once and it was very quiet and smooth and they rev so freely. I always wondered if she had it modded as if you hit the red-line it used to bing a little bell at you. Very civilised.

• Like 1

Bit sad that the knight sports ecu work had to go but if it means the car runs as it should then it had to go and il just be on the look out for a second hand apexi ecu.

I wouldnt worry at all mate, it just a standard flashed ecu that would have been mapped for 100 ron fuel anyway, much better off with a fully programmable stand alone like the Apexi.

Keep us posted :)

I remember driving it once and it was very quiet and smooth and they rev so freely. I always wondered if she had it modded as if you hit the red-line it used to bing a little bell at you. Very civilised.

The benefit of have no cams, valves etc,

That little buzzer though is also the anti christ, its the one that beeps if you have low coolant, once you've heard it its like a paranoia, you never want to hear it again, haha :)

• Like 1

I wouldnt worry at all mate, it just a standard flashed ecu that would have been mapped for 100 ron fuel anyway, much better off with a fully programmable stand alone like the Apexi.

Keep us posted :)

The benefit of have no cams, valves etc,

That little buzzer though is also the anti christ, its the one that beeps if you have low coolant, once you've heard it its like a paranoia, you never want to hear it again, haha :)

Yeah tim did say id be better off buying an apexi ecu, i cant find one for my model year though i suppose il have to keep looking.

Will the car run ok will a full exhaust twin filters and after market bov with parallel turbos without a mapped ecu?

Cos ive read online that if u do anything to these cars theyl need a map asap or itl blow or is that just people talking crap ?

Edited by redzed8

Thanks for the help jetpilot il ask tim for some help with the basics too .

M4nn13 haha i am crazy excited mind so expect some photos of the rx7 and my cousins r34 soon when we go for a cruise :).

• Like 1

Got the car back .

IMG_20170602_201801452_zpsaxenxaiy.jpg

IMG_20170602_210547257_zpsu81smumb.jpg

She drives so well but there is a couple of problems,

The fuel gauge didnt work so i fixed it and it only goes up to quater of a tank which was better then empty i suppose lol!

The car will struggle to idle when its warm when u get to a junction and sometimes will cut out.

When u boost itl go from 3-4k then nothing itl just pull back and then u get no boost at all.

Definately love driving this car and the looks u get while driving too is great.

Did Tim not test it, give you a reason for the boost issue?

I think tim drove it to and from the mot and it was running fine then, i suspect he didnt push it too hard to be fair.

But ive done 70 miles in it now and its hard not wanting to press the loud pedal.

I know if i do itl probably blow up so hopefully today im meeting up with boosted from mazda rotary club and were guna look at it and if we cant get to the bottom of it il drop it off back with tim.

Its hitting 13.5psi on boost but is on a standsrd auto ecu.

Tim recomended plugging the old ecu back in and taking the boost controller off and seeing if thatl make a difference.

Well after having the car back a few days and done over 100 miles in it the issues are really annoying me.

So ive rang tim and im taking it back friday for him to find out why its stalling at junctions/rough idle sometimes and also why its not boosting properly.

Cant wait to drive it properly and not have to worry about it stalling.

The car starts perfect hot and cold which im really happy about, just these few little niggles that need ironing out.

I Knew id have a few issues with it as its been off the road for so long but we will get to the end of it :).

Then i can get it to the body shop for some paint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back yesterday no stalling issues anymore and boost has been turned down to 7 to be safe as it was way to high before.

It really needs to be faster but im just going to enjoy driving it for now, next job is getting a few things painted.

Snapchat-638808619_zpsr6thsbz4.jpg

Snapchat-15096508_zpsqdjrhhtj.jpg

• Like 2

I would look at going back to the sequential set up and run a little more boost than std on a mapped Apexi, will be plenty fast enough.

Why has the boost been set at 7 psi?

The car is running sequential turbos now but there was an issue with the boost being too high and i just told tim and ian to get it to a safe place boost wise so i can just drive it without cut.

Im planning a rebuild, fit my front mount and apexi ecu and map next year sometime all in one go.

But for now im just guna enjoy it :).