G1en's 95% race car 5% stickers Zed build

G1en

Cheers guys, it actually drove back home ok, apart from the arch constantly trying to eat the tyre, just crawled back home at 50mph on inside lane as i was scared tyre would blowout, will take it down to my local bodyshop for an assessment, will take a hanky with me just in case.

• 2 months later...

Car now Fixed, although you sort one thing and another problem manifests.....

Here she is after a wash, back to looking shiny and mean.

1262674907_carrepaired.jpg.4ba9a48c0b2b51605be109db74160860.jpg

Latest Video from this weekend back at Harewood Hillclimb.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have never actually heard my zed launch of the line from outside the car, someone was filming at harewood this weekend and posted up a vid. Have to say the combination of tarmac sportz cats, miltek y piece and cobra rear section sounds bloody awesome.

also @Kieran O'Quick follows me so you can hear what a supercharged zed sounds like with the exhaust just about held together with paste.

Skip to 12:45 for our zeds or enjoy the whole vid.

my next vid with summery of the weekend will be done soon.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last event of the year at Curborough Sprint Course.

Never done this one before so wasn't great to turn up after it had been chucking it down all night. each run getting much quicker than the last as the track dried out until I pushed too much and went off. Never the less 1st in class on the day.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

2022 Review

Will just get this upto date to finish the year off. Its been a very busy and eventful year overall. 

I decided to not just do the Harewood Hillclimb season this year but the Connaught Speed Championship as well which travels to lots of Hillclimb, sprints and circuit venues all across England and Wales. Unfortunately like most things in life, it didn't go exactly to plan and more money than anticipated has been spent on the 350z but she lives on and finishes the year being just as fast as when it started.

The first event at Harewood resulted in a second place finish and the new A052 tyres seeming to really suit the car. Half the field have had to change tyres this year as the soft Extremes which were the goto tyre for the last 3-4 years had been pushed into another catagory by the MSA so roadgoing classes could not use. Everybody went for different options, some deciding to go back to the tried and trusted R888R but the feedback is it just does everything ok but doesn't excel in any area. I have used the Nankang AR1 prev and many went for this option as well, problem with this tyre is when its cold/damp it just does not switch on and you really need it to be hot and dry to get the performance. Other options like PS4 /4S and Rainsport5 are excellent in the wet but no good any other other time, so the A052 seem to be very good in all conditions, the downside is the price and durability. £1300 for a 18" set for the zed and lasted this season only, you usually get 2 years out of most 1B tyres.

Anyhow, if you have watched any of the videos, you will know the clutch/gears have been tempremental for a while now, and in April at Hethel (Lotus) the clutch finally shat itself. Stranded 200 miles from home it took a day and a half to get home, no thanks to the RAC and a £1000 bill for a new clutch/flywheel/slave kit to rapidly fit before the Aintree sprint. In hindsight i should not have forced it through (literally fitting it the night before) as if you watch the aintree vid, On the first run I lost the back end and went screeching down the barriers backwards at the first corner. Determined not to waste another day/event with a DNF I actually went back out after hammering the rear arch back out, cutting off all the trims/wheel linings and gaffer taping the rest of the damage. I actually managed a semi respectable time but suffered from fuel starvation on 2 runs which ultimately cost me the win. I didn't know at the time whether the engine cutting out was to do with the crash damage so feared the worst,. I still managed to limp home from Aintree (around 90 miles)

So off to the Garage it went to assess the damage. I honestly though it was a write off at this point as rear quarter damage often results in this outcome but I agreed with the garage to save her. There is a video earlier in the thread with what it cost but in summery around £3600 and travelling all over the country for the parts. It took around 2 months to sort so I missed around 6 events i would have done which ultimately cost me positions in both championships BUT the main thing was the zed was back on the road and looking almost like new (the repaired rear quarter and bumper was actually the best looking part of the car now) again I had left it till last minute and I had another event at Harewood the day after I collected it from the garage so no chance to even get it aligned, checked out. This resulted in my times being around half a second off compared to every other event. Proof that a properly aligned car is faster, but it was at least good to be back out, even if the dodgy gear changes had returned.

The rest of the season went relatively straight forward, 2 events were cancelled due to the death of her majesty but I fit in as many as i could realistically get to. I just managed to squeeze in 6 events at Harewood and as they were all dry, I got decent points at all to squeeze into the top 10 come the end of the season. I only managed 7 events in the Connaught championship and 10 count so finished down in around 26th place, but will definately do again next year as you get to test out the Zed in a wide variety of events, As i elude to on one of my videos, the Zed really doesn't suit itself to any event, tight twisty stuff or wide open track stuff due to its power/weight compared to other potential cars in the class BUT when its setup well and with the plethora of aftermarket parts i have on, I am always there abouts with the fastest on the day, mainly finishing second but sneaking the odd win as well.

So, since the season finished I have changed the brakes as the DBA discs have been on for 4-5 years! I change pads every year but the yellow stuff just couldn't cope with extreme braking on track so I have put on Black Diamond grooved discs and EBC's Race spec RP-X pads. Let me say to the non believers, I know EBC get a bad rep from a lot but these RP-X pads have you headbutting the steering wheel when you stomp on them. I think for the tracks/circuits next season they will be awesome, I don't think they will offer much for the hillclimbs but they are supposed to work well from cold anyway so hopefully wont be any worse than an oem pad. when i went out to bed them in i was locking the wheels from over 100mph! I have also done a full service with my goto Fuchs oil, kaaz for the diff and replaced the gearbox oil again, for the third time this year with the best i can find in order to prolong the gearbox for another year, I think it will need a rebuild shortly as there is plenty of metal shavings every time i renew the oil but as long as i am not too aggressive with the gear shifts, its fine.

Onto next year, I need to get some more tyres for the season, just waiting on MSDA to finalise the available options. I need to replace the brake fluid, when i can get a helper and it warms up. And I need to start booking some events, the first being Cadwell in March which if dry, I think I could do very well there. And finally, for anybody with spare time on a weekend, get down to a local hillclimb/sprint event and check it out, the vast array of cars will always amaze you and the so will the sights and smells in general. Cheer on your fellow 350z On a personal note finished the year with another knee opp, as I thought starting back in the veterens football league was a good idea, lasted around 8 games before the ACL went for the second time, so no more footy for me, stick to racing from now on, but i do have 9 months of rehabilitation to do!

675344798_350zservice.jpg.a3019b9ff9dd39a421cce23ca2e000cf.jpg

Only the best oils for the Zed!

Below: a week after the knee Op still cant walk "normal" a month later but getting better every day

624769038_kneeop.jpg.226dba0b3b0b10d587670577f7098ccf.jpg

Below: Me on awards night at Harewood (9th overall)

1160497493_harewoodawards.jpg.2502051c28d617b6241142ffe488ba1c.jpg

Below: some of the cars you will find at a Sprint/Hillclimb event

302792289_harewood180922-4.JPG.365f92c3bd41c0a6ab29f39138a4a9c6.JPG

759171499_harewood180922-2.JPG.faab3ce0b1d6df333b31a5fef930fc6f.JPG

Below: some action shots of the zed this year (copyright to the owners)

1525983825_aampic.jpg.8242f285756dd453d77b58bcc913cc64.jpg

87781343_PA350z.jpg.4f6d004b81cca4048411861d57dad5a8.jpg

2072761676_jcb350z.jpg.5b28d3b6a2b488d51f1ceb8ffac6b0bf.jpg

1065111070_350zenginebayjcb.jpg.f85c6cee8d3f9312e31681374bb7dfed.jpg

Thanks for reading, Wishing all my fellow 350/370z owners a happy xmas and new year!

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • G1en changed the title to G1en's 95% race car 5% stickers Zed build